• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Should we allow eagle owls to breed in the UK? (1 Viewer)

mcepjg

Peter
after many years of successful breedings why are the protectionists so opposed to accepting the eagle owl and embracing it as a very belated return as a breeding species although that seems to cause a great devide the yorkshire pair a deliberately omit the exact location) after being entered on tv the female was executed the lancaster pair were demonised apparently murdered a family of hen harrier (if that was a reason to put a bird in bad character well what about the goshawk in wales after losing the first honey buzzard chick to high winds the camera focussed on the nest recorded chick number 2 being taken by a goshawk ive personally witnessed peregrie,merlin as a prey specie in eagle nests a dotterel in a peregrine nest and so on )it seems the protectionists blame the eagle owl breedings as escapees i beg to differ on the basis that most eale owls in captivity use nest boxes now nearly all if not all eagle owls are 2nd if not many more generations of captive breeding yet all the eagle owl sites in the uk are at the base of a crag or among rocks on a remote hill side a mirror image of the wild counter parts in Europe, why are the protectionist so against them yet think nothing of stealing hundreds of red kites from spain let them go in gateshead and expected to be praised for reporting that red kites are back on tyneside after 200 yrs absent (yes because you put them there gowland did this in the early 1900s and was condemned for it,incidently the Spanish kites are totally different for the very rare welsh kite one only has to examing the eggs to notice a big difference) so let rejoice the eagle owl and afford it the protection it deserves

Should we allow eagle owls to breed in the UK?

Should we allow eagle owls to breed in the UK?

hi, the main arguement given is that owls, and that includes eagle owls, do not cross the channle by themselves and so cannot possibly be considered native if they're not already here. i personally however have seen short-eared owls right out in the middle of the channle and if short-ears do it why not eagles. there was some other thought that they might have been indian birds which have been released, but that being the case i should have thought a dna test would have sorted that one out.

hi, the main arguement given is that owls, and that includes eagle owls, do not cross the channle by themselves and so cannot possibly be considered native if they're not already here. i personally however have seen short-eared owls right out in the middle of the channle

Both Short and Long-eared Owls are regular crossers of the North Sea from Scandinavia to the UK; I see both species each year on my offshore rig. I have also handled a Tawny Owl which was sent in from the rigs by helicopter, but this was several years ago. There have been reports of "Eagle Owls" from offshore, but in most cases these have turned out to be LEO/SEO - which do look surprisingly large when they are sitting on a rig!

I am very much opposed to birds of any king being imported but ,if they arrive by choice under thier own steam then allow them to stay.
Those that arrive by choice ,wanted to live here rather than be forced to come.
maurice.

I don't think "allow" is the right word, they haven't asked for permission, they are breeding in the wild in the UK.

Originally Posted by boldon bittern
after many years of successful breedings why are the protectionists so opposed to accepting the eagle owl and embracing it as a very belated return as a breeding species although that seems to cause a great devide the yorkshire pair a deliberately omit the exact location) after being entered on tv the female was executed the lancaster pair were demonised apparently murdered a family of hen harrier (if that was a reason to put a bird in bad character well what about the goshawk in wales after losing the first honey buzzard chick to high winds the camera focussed on the nest recorded chick number 2 being taken by a goshawk ive personally witnessed peregrie,merlin as a prey specie in eagle nests a dotterel in a peregrine nest and so on )it seems the protectionists blame the eagle owl breedings as escapees i beg to differ on the basis that most eale owls in captivity use nest boxes now nearly all if not all eagle owls are 2nd if not many more generations of captive breeding yet all the eagle owl sites in the uk are at the base of a crag or among rocks on a remote hill side a mirror image of the wild counter parts in Europe, why are the protectionist so against them yet think nothing of stealing hundreds of red kites from spain let them go in gateshead and expected to be praised for reporting that red kites are back on tyneside after 200 yrs absent (yes because you put them there gowland did this in the early 1900s and was condemned for it,incidently the Spanish kites are totally different for the very rare welsh kite one only has to examing the eggs to notice a big difference) so let rejoice the eagle owl and afford it the protection it deserves

Is this the first thread to begin with a quote like this (from where, another BF thread?), and such a breathless one at that?

Sorry to go slightly off topic (although part of the original quote) but I raised the red kite situation (spanish imports vs welsh population) with Dame Jemima Parry-Jones - one of the foremost experts on raptors in the world and she is adamant that is nonsense and there is no difference between spanish red kites and the "natural" population in Wales.

Her word is good enough for me (I wouldn't dare argue with her!)

Originally Posted by boldon bittern

Is this the first thread to begin with a quote like this (from where, another BF thread?), and such a breathless one at that?
It's like Finnegan's Wake!;)

thanks for than info B.M

All i know is, if people try to 'control' what breeds in the UK, won't this mean killing them in some way or another?

Eagle owls are great birds there sheer size alone makes them great
birds i am thinking to myself why would any one want to stop them
they came here for a purpose let them be okay chickens where killed but hay thats the life cycle and we humans should not change that.

P.S if anyone dislikes this then hay its the truth my opinion

Allen S. Moore said:
there is no BF member called "boldon bittern". In any case, I gave up trying to read the quote after the first ten lines because my brain started to hurt.

Xenospiza said:
If you click on the blue > next to the quote, you'll find the original post (by a BF member called 'boldon bittern' no less)
wierd. I checked the member list and there was no boldon bittern on there....
(or perhaps I should say, I could have sworn there was no boldon bittern on the list, but it is there now, so my apologies)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back