• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shouldn't a 1,700$ pair of binos be perfect? (1 Viewer)

lvn600

I've decided that if I can get a pair of binoculars that are an improvement particularly in sharpness and depth of field over my $300.00 swift roofs I will do so.Unforunately I have heard complaints about focus wheels, fringing, and rattling in the supposed top 3 brands. I've also run in to people who have chosen other brands claiming that they picked brand x because they were actually better than the top 3 brands. Does anyone out there have a serious argument that there are better roof binoculars that are better than Zeiss, Leica or swarovski? If I'm going to shell out big money I want the best I can get and get discouraged when I hear comments about the top 3 having flaws.

Last edited:
lvn600 said:
I've decided that if I can get a pair of binoculars that are an improvement particularly in sharpness and depth of field over my $300.00 swift roofs I will do so.Unforunately I have heard complaints about focus wheels, fringing, and rattling in the supposed top 3 brands. I've also run in to people who have chosen other brands claiming that they picked brand x because they were actually better than the top 3 brands. Does anyone out there have a serious argument that there are better roof binoculars that are better than Zeiss, Leica or swarovski? If I'm going to shell out big money I want the best I can get and get discouraged when I hear comments that the supposed best really are the best?

"Better" in the case of binoculars is to a large degree subjective. That said, I would add the Nikon LX/HG bins to your short list. If robust mechanical aspects are the deciding factor all else being equal I would choose Leica.

lvn600 said:
If I'm going to shell out big money I want the best I can get and get discouraged when I hear comments that the supposed best really are the best?

The question here is, are they "better" for you. Go to an optics dealer and try them for yourself. Questions about focus wheels or whether you perceive the top brands as being better optically or whether that difference is important to you can only be answered by trying them out. Note that cheap binoculars can get a smooth focus by using looser tolerances and lots of grease. Leica (for example) uses no lubricant. Their agenda is different. They want the binocular to be usable in extreme conditions, and they're willing to sacrifice a bit of smoothness to achieve it.

Of course I'll be testing them.My biggest concern is that I'll find a pair that seem great at the dealer then I'll notice the flaws when i'm out in the field.

It would be extemely prudent to compare warrantees and understand their terms before you buy. The service a company provides after the sale is an important part of the package. There are significant differences in how the manufacturers stand behind their products, and the price of the binocular is not necessarily any indication of the quality of the service or of a comprehensive warrantee.

Sailcat said:
It would be extemely prudent to compare warrantees and understand their terms before you buy. The service a company provides after the sale is an important part of the package. There are significant differences in how the manufacturers stand behind their products, and the price of the binocular is not necessarily any indication of the quality of the service or of a comprehensive warrantee.
Which of the manufacturers have some of the best warranties in your opinion?

lvn600 said:
Which of the manufacturers have some of the best warranties in your opinion?

Ivn, in the US I've found that Swarovski has much better customer service than Leica. On the other hand Leica's ruggedness is legendary. For my eyes and hands the 7x42 Ultravid is as good as it gets with the 8x42 a close second. I agree that it's wise to look at a bin purchase as a total package... durability, ergonomics, after purchase service and, of course, image!

Nikon, for example, has a twenty-five year no-fault warrantee on its binoculars, and they have service centers in the US at which they repair and adjust their products. Some companies offer warrantees that cover manufacturer defects only, and their service center could be in the manufacturer's home country. It would be wise to check their warrantees and perhaps visit their websites for more information.

lvn600 said:
I've decided that if I can get a pair of binoculars that are an improvement particularly in sharpness and depth of field over my $300.00 swift roofs I will do so.Unforunately I have heard complaints about focus wheels, fringing, and rattling in the supposed top 3 brands. I've also run in to people who have chosen other brands claiming that they picked brand x because they were actually better than the top 3 brands. Does anyone out there have a serious argument that there are better roof binoculars that are better than Zeiss, Leica or swarovski? If I'm going to shell out big money I want the best I can get and get discouraged when I hear comments that the supposed best really are the best?

I thought we settled this long ago. The only perfect binocular, the 8X32 Nikon SE, costs much less than $1700. In fact, you can get one for $550 from Eagle Optics.

If you can live with second best, choose from the many models offered by the companies you mentioned. Since you won't be using an SE, you won't know what you're missing!

Best wishes

John

Brad_A said:
"Perfect" involves a lot of details... the SE isn't waterproof so isn't "perfect" for me, good glass though it may be.

Brad,

It was a bit of humor to break the never-ending debate over what is and what isn't perfect. Nikon, Zeiss, Leica, and Swarovski produce fantastic binoculars enjoyed by many, but none of them are perfect.

The real question is do you get more for your money when you spend at the top end? I believe you do.

John

Brad_A said:
"Perfect" involves a lot of details... the SE isn't waterproof so isn't "perfect" for me, good glass though it may be.

I agree. The SEs are good porros, optics are very good but not perfect, the rest is far away from what is feasible. I rate them recommendable but not for everybody.
May be they were especially designed for John Traynor. 3:)
Because John got one Nikon discontinued them.

Walter

Last edited:
Since there is no perfection in this life the real meaning of "perfect" is probably "ideal"... that, of course, vary's person to person according to their needs, tastes and prejudices. Everything is a compromise weighted in one direction or the other and everyone makes that compromise differently.

For me "perfection" would be a 7x32 Ultravid... course they don't make it so it will probably just remain an ideal!

Brad_A said:
Since there is no perfection in this life the real meaning of "perfect" is probably "ideal"... that, of course, vary's person to person according to their needs, tastes and prejudices. Everything is a compromise weighted in one direction or the other and everyone makes that compromise differently.

For me "perfection" would be a 7x32 Ultravid... course they don't make it so it will probably just remain an ideal!

I tested a pair of £829 Leica Ultravids today and the focus wheel felt as though it was revolving around sandpaper....no thanks. I'll stick to the Rolls Royce of focussing wheels...Nikons HG's.

John.

john barclay said:
I tested a pair of £829 Leica Ultravids today and the focus wheel felt as though it was revolving around sandpaper....no thanks. I'll stick to the Rolls Royce of focussing wheels...Nikons HG's.

John.

John, as has been posted here many times the reason Leica's feel "gritty" is they don't use any lube in the focus gears... the reason is to keep them viable in temperature extremes. Since I sometimes use my bino's in the field in sub-zero temps (farenheit) I appreciate this design compromise Leica has made. Is it "perfect?" Maybe not for all prople but for my needs the Leica is "ideal"... that is, it's the best set of compromises.

A "perfect" binocular is in my understanding: Comfortable to hold, waterproof, wide FOV, long ER, complete sharpness and flat field over the entire FOV, good depth of field, total loss of CA, total loss of ghost images and inner reflections...are there ANY binocular existing which fulfil all these demands? I have not had the possibility to seriously compare the high end binos, but when I tried the Swarovski SLC 7x42 I think they belong to them who are quite near.

Patric

Swedpat said:
A "perfect" binocular is in my understanding: Comfortable to hold, waterproof, wide FOV, long ER, complete sharpness and flat field over the entire FOV, good depth of field, total loss of CA, total loss of ghost images and inner reflections...are there ANY binocular existing which fulfil all these demands? I have not had the possibility to seriously compare the high end binos, but when I tried the Swarovski SLC 7x42 I think they belong to them who are quite near.

Patric

Patric, if you're like me, when you pick up the 7x42 Ultravid you'll know what "perfect" is :D: !

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back