• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shoveler Hybrid +??? Spain (1 Viewer)

Black Wheatear

Bowed but not broken, yet!
Attended Andalucia Bird Society field meeting at Fuente de Piedra today and we are all a bit non-plus with the pictured Shoveler/Hybrid or is it a hybrid???

Be interested to hear opinions on what fellow forumers think.

Peter

Attachments

• hybrid-duck-FdeP-April-10.jpg
    hybrid-duck-FdeP-April-10.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 240
I'd say it's indeed a hybrid. I'd say either Shoveler x Cinnamon or Shoveler x Blue-winged.
Shoveler x cinnamon seems perhaps more likely with that breast colour, but I don't know whether the white crescent at the bill base is normal for that combination or not.

If I remember correctly, all the shoveler x cinnamon I have seen had lighter breast contrasting with the flanks, like this one:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/hybridbirds/discuss/72157601790654095/?search=shoveler

A presumed Shoveler x Cinnamon showing the white crescent:
http://www.azfo.org/gallery/noshXcite.html

I was thinking either Blue-winged x Shoveler or Blue-winged x Cinnamon, more so the latter.

The white hip patch and crescent point strongly to a Blue-winged Teal and the flank coloration looks more like a Cinnamon Teal.

Mike

Thanks everyone, whatever it is an interesting bird with some leading lights emailing with Australian Shoveler as being 'more' likely than hybrid. Example of messages from down under:

"Interesting bird. Structure/Shape are spot on for Australian Shoveler, but the rufous flanks are very extensive and very bright! Head colour looks a bit strange too. If I had to put money on it I would go for Aus Shoveler but I suspect some genes from Red Shoveler from S.America?? which would be on the cards if it has absconded from some collection. It is a very interesting bird. Look forward to updates. Funnily enough there is a vagrant Northern Shoveler in Melbourne at the moment".

Peter

To me, this bird is very unlikely to be a pure Australian Shoveler:
-uniform bright rufous flanks and breast (with no hint of dark blotch)
-very obvious white crescent
-extensive white patch to the rear

The bill doens't look particularly big to me, Shoveler x Blue-winged normaly shows a bill structure somewhat intermediate (and probably same goes for Shoveler x Cinnamon).

To me, this bird is very unlikely to be a pure Australian Shoveler:
-uniform bright rufous flanks and breast (with no hint of dark blotch)
-very obvious white crescent
-extensive white patch to the rear

The bill doens't look particularly big to me, Shoveler x Blue-winged normaly shows a bill structure somewhat intermediate (and probably same goes for Shoveler x Cinnamon).

shoveler x cinnamon is a good fit on general coloration and structure, but the head coloration worries me a bit- there seems to be some reddish coloration near the white crescent? (That would be a head pattern fitting better to bluewinged x cinnamon)

I can not see the iris colour. shoveler x cinnamon have red, orange or yellow iris, while shoveler x bluewinged teal have dirty yellow to dark brownish or blackish iris.

another thing: in shoveler x bluewinged the patch at the rear flanks is white, while in shoveler x cinnamon the patch is often whitish with slightly reddish-brown colour tinge (but can be white).

so more photos would be helpfull

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back