• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shropshire Birding (1 Viewer)

Thanks Spotter. Well done with the Brambling, Rhys. Had a look for some at VP this p.m. but no sign.Several Gadwall and plenty of Snipe, though less than 70.

I counted 150 Waxwings at about 12:00 on Sundorne. I took photos of the two trees that the bulk of them were in in rapid succession and I seem to be able to get 142 from them and I think that there were a few more in another tree, so 150 sounds reasonable. I don't think they'll be there tomorrow, though because the berries were almost gone from one tree and much reduced on the other.

Oh, and two Blackcaps in my garden, just after my earlier post - the first was chased off by a second which I think was also a male. I've had single males and females together some winters (don't often see them before Christmas) but can't remember seeing two of the same gender at the same time before. The first bird was feeding on fat balls.

No Waxwings on Sundorne Rd when I passed this a.m. at about 07:40, although it was barely light. The Mistle Thrush was in one of the rowans which had very few berries left. Hopefully the Waxwings have moved on and left it a few.

Last edited:
Greetings Chris and all

Female Blackcap feeding on a fat ball in the garden here too and quite aggressive.

It's WeBS count weekend this weekend. There's been a Spotted Redshank recently near the Royal Hill which would be a very unseasonal addition to the WeBS count and a Shropshire tick for me!

There was a nice tame Dabchick at the English Bridge in town when I did last month's count.

Cheers,

Patrick

Hi Patrick

It’s always nice to have over-wintering Blackcaps in the garden. I think there’s only been one winter since I moved in in 1999 when I haven’t seen them.

Something of a coup this morning on my drive to work. I’ve been keeping a ‘home-to-work’ list since May. I was hoping that there would be enough berries on Sundorne Rd to keep them around beyond the weekend but despite looking carefully each morning this week, no luck. However I saw a flock of at least 20 (probably more) on a shrub at the side of the A5 eastbound this morning at about 08:20. They were near the start of the hill just west of the end of the M54. It’s always a bit more exciting when you find your own.

Good work Chris! What is your 'home to work' on, and how do you cope with those silhouetted fly-over Gulls first thing in the morning? Must be a Yellow-legged in there somewhere!

Talking of the office, we have a wintering Green Sandpiper here at Mytton Mill, along with a juvenile Water Rail.

Cheers,

Patrick

Neither species on my list, Patrick. The 'study' starts when I wash up my breakfast cereal bowl in Shrewsbury and ends when I walk through the office front door in the centre of Telford.

My solution to the "gull problem" is simple. BH Gulls are usually easy. If I see more than one large gull that I can't easily identify then I 'tick' Lesser Black-back. I actually haven't definitely seen a Herring Gull yet, although out of the several thousand anonymous gulls I've noted, plenty will have been that species, but from a moving car, no chance. Even less likelihood of me getting YLG.

Best bird is now Waxwing. Most surprising is Shelduck. I will think about doing an end of year summation if I get time.

Wwent for a walk in Telford Town Park today, didn't realise just how big it is. I checked and its around 150-170 hectacres. saw quite a few woodpigeon, magpies, blackbirds, blue tits, great tits, long tail tits, sparrows etc, highlight was watching a kestrel spotting then catching vole. Could be my daily patch.

There again this morning at 08:28. Should anyone be travelling between Shrewsbury and Telford over the next couple of days then they are in an obvious spindly tree on the north side of the A5 a few hundred metres after the bridge at the Telford end of the long, straight section of the A5. Drive carefully, though. Lots of thrush activity all along that stretch of road this a.m. Mainly Redwings and Blackbirds.

I think there were a few Waxwings at the top of one of the tall trees at the corner of Sundorne Rd and Featherbed Lane as well. Not the best place for looking from a moving car (if you’re driving!). I see from shropshirebirds that there are likely to be some still in the area.

Big increase in Goosander numbers on the river this morning, with 17 displaying just downstream from Grey Friars Bridge. Very smart in the morning sunshine and seemingly expert at avoiding amateur rowers.

Also a few just west of the River Severn on Telford Way at about 12:45 (perhaps the same birds we saw later a few miles away) and a flock of about 40 (Julie's estimate from a moving car, though we went past them three times to be sure) on the A5124 at about 15:30 - just west of the railway line. The A5124 doesn't seem to have a name on Google maps but it's the road that runs from the A49/A53 roundabout to the Ellesmere road across the north of Shrewsbury.

Waxwing and Goosander pics

17 Goosander again from Grey Friars Bridge, coming for bread. One little lad seemed quite delighted to see them and exclaimed "Look there are some new ducks! Look at their hairstyles!"

A few of Julie's pics, the Goosanders cropped a bit more than I'd like, but they were very close ...

Attachments

• 20121216 Waxwing 1.jpg
    20121216 Waxwing 1.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 20121216 Goosander.jpg
    20121216 Goosander.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 20121216 Goosander 2.jpg
    20121216 Goosander 2.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Was at Priorslee Lake today 0815-1115, The lake was approx 80% iced over and there was fog around although did get a couple of clear patches, still managed to see the following: c245 Black Headed Gulls, c84 Lesser Black Backed gulls, c56 Herring gulls, 4 Canada Geese, 126 Coot, 8 Moorehens, 14 Mallard, 2 Gadwall, 35 Tufted ducks, 6 Pochard, 2 Mute Swans, 10 Woodpigeon, 6 Magpies, 4 Crows, 1 Pied Wagtail, as well as the usual suspects, Blue tits, Great tits, Blackbirds, Robins

Excellent pictures Julie!

A very impressive day at the S-Y confluence with the residual floods seemingly perfect for dabbling duck. Many Teal and Wigeon with smaller numbers of Pintail and Shoveler and a single Goldeneye. Also hordes of Finches and Buntings in the hedges.

Top stuff, makes the WeBS counts worthwhile. New counters always needed!

Cheers,

Patrick

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back