• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma 150-600 - (DG) or (DC)?? (1 Viewer)

Andy Strachan

Scotland
Hey guys.
Im upgrading my lens.
I bought a used Sigma 150-600 DG OS HSM C lens for my Nikon D3300 last night.
However, my wife suggested that I may need the DC for my D3300, NOT the DG.
But I’ve been told by the seller that the DG is compatible with my lens, it just means that the image will appear cropped in.
To be honest, I don’t fully understand what that means, and I’m hoping someone here could maybe clear it up, or even just let me know for sure if I’m going to notice any negative effects from that or not.
Is the image through the viewfinder going to match what I see on the screen when I upload it?
Should I return the lens or will be it perfectly fine?

Thanks

Last edited:
First, sigma makes two versions of this lens, “C” and “S”. The difference is in the added protection against the elements in the S (sport) version. Both versions are compatible with both full frame sensor cameras (e.g., Nikon D850) and cropped sensor cameras (e.g., D3300). The cropped sensors are ⅓ smaller than full frame sensors, so the photos you take with your D3300 will appear to be enlarged by a factor of 1.5. To look at it a different way, your 150-600mm will act as an effective 225-900mm lens. So you’re good with the lens you have. Enjoy! Hope this helps.

You can use a lens designed to be used on a full frame camera body (DG on a Sigma lens/ FX on a Nikon lens) on a crop body, but you cannot use a lens designed to be used on a crop body (DC on a Sigma lens/ DX on a Nikon lens) on a full frame body without getting some heavy vignetting on the edges or even a black-put.
The 160-600 is lens designed for a full frame body so you are good with your D3300 (or if you ever get a full frame body in the future.
The crop body will just capture the ~70% in the center of the lens's view field, i.e. what you see in the viewfinder.

Here you can read a more detailed explanation:

Oh right, ok, thanks guys. Cheers for the link as well, that was helpful. After having doubts I was panicking a bit haha
That’s what I get for not researching a bit more!
Can’t wait to get my hands on it now.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back