• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma 300mm f2.8 (1 Viewer)

I'll see how the saving goes (things are slow work-wise at the moment) and then see what happens from there. If I can get enough together to get a new or second hand 500/4 then I'll get one of those, but if that proves impossible then I'll go for a (Canon) 300/2.8 + 2x tc. I always have the choice of the Sigma to fall back on.

Thanks for all the responses, everyone. :t:

slightly off topic but relates to a Sigma 300/2.8, a few weeks ago I ran into a photographer on the East Coast shooting the Shore Lark with a D300 a 300/2.8 and a sigma 2x. He had taken the 2x off as he was having several problems with it and was unhappy with the results.
I offered him a go with a Nikon 1.7 and after connecting the D300 wouldn't focus, it was hunting and wouldn't lock, tried the 1.4 and the same, swapped bodies and again the same.
So it was the lens, not clever enough to know why but I have used a Sigma 500/4.5 with a 1.4 and had years of use, it was a puzzle why the Sigma 300/2.8 refused to work with either of my Nikon TC's
is this a weakness with the Sigma?

I have heard that some Sigmas won't work with some DSLRs, especially older lenses which need re-chipping, although your friend's one sounds like a faulty example. I tried a wide angle Sigma lens back in the autumn, it wouldn't AF on my 40D at all (mind you, that was in a local independent retailer some of whose stock, I suspect, has been hanging around for years).

The greater the focal length the more maginified any camera shake becomes so if you're using a 2x and stopping down at all then IS would be invaluable. Same goes even more so for if you wanna try stacked tc's.

The Sigma is a very capable lens no question but there's a reason why so many save up for the Canon instead. Not least of which the Canon 2xtC must surely have noticeably less image degradation than a Sigma or Kenko 2x.

I am new user from Hong Kong, recently I use D700 / D300 with Sigma 150-500mm and 300mm f2.8 with Sigam 2X & 1.4X. Sigma 300mm ("S328") is a good tele even though compared with Nikkor 300mm VRI or II and it only priced 45% of the Nikkors. When the light is good, it's AF speed with use of 2X or 1.4X seems not slower than no used. Yes, the picture grade may be downgraded but when I stop down 1 f-stop, it can give sharp pictures. Though the S328 is without any OS, VR or IS, when mounting on mono-pod of tripod, still you can sharp pictures even though in slow shutter speed. See below my pictures using S328 and 2X/1.4 teleconverter. No sharpening, only resize with exposure/contrast adjusted.

birdforum001.jpg

birdforum002.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back