• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma 400mm f5.6 APO Disassembly (1 Viewer)

alan_rymer

United Kingdom
Can anyone describe how to disassemble a Sigma 400mm f5.6 APO lens to get at the AF gear to look at the problem, possibly fix the issue of the gear stripping and then reassemble the lens.
Its a very good lens to use focusing manually. But an even better one if the AF works.
If I cannot fix it, it will not be really missed as I have and alternate 400mm lens.

tools for the job.

alan, you will need a birmingham screwdriver available from [ a bodger tools ltd ] and some wielding goggles, then give me ring me for further instructions ;) p s size is not everything .

Last edited:
Hi, I'm so glad to have found this site because I also have a problem with the same lens.
I've disassembled and I'm going to give the gears a clean, but then I'm stuck for what to do next to prevent a re-occurrence of gear slipping.
Any advice please on my next move ?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back