• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sinharaja Rest (1 Viewer)

adam.oscarson

Hi!

Going to Sri Lanka in January. Planing on doing some birding in Sinharaja (Kitulgala seems to have limited accommodation and they were more expensive). I've found a lot of birders recommending Martins Lodge, but it seems tricky to get there with public transport.

Lonely Planet recommends Sinharaja Rest in Deniyaya (easier to get to with bus), and they're supposed to have good guides. Does anyone have any experience with them? Does the birding differ in this part of the reserve compared to Martins?

Also, any advice for independent birding in Sinaharja is welcome!

/ Adam

Can answer my own question after being there in january. Deniyaya is quite far from the actual forest and you have to go there by car or bus (there were accomodation closer to the forest we found out later). Sinharaja Rest was a nice place with great food, but the guide and the tour was a general forest tour aimed at the casual tourist - we had a fun day but didn't see a lot of birds. There were quite a lot of birds in the area around Sinharaja Rest (rice paddys and gardens) though but if you go for the birding I wouldt recomend it.

/ Adam

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back