• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SLC 8x30 question (1 Viewer)

Bricklayer

United States
Years ago, my father inlaw, gave me a SLC 8x30 bino made in 2002.
2 years ago, I sent them to SONA, and had them upgraded to the SLC NEU coatings and such.
The view and colors definitely improved, but there is one thing that is driving me crazy.
It seems everytime I pick them up to use, something in the view seems off. I check the diopter setting, and it is off. So I carefully reset the diopter until both sides are focused, only to find I am right back at the setting they were at when I first picked them up.
At first I just chalked it up to my 52 year old eyes, but I don't have this problem with my other binos.
I am hesitant to contact SONA about it, because the diopter always ends up right back at the original setting.
Anyone else ever experience this?

I’m no expert, but you might have some diopter drift.

I have had a handful of binos over the years that always seemed off to my eyes and displayed this. No matter the circumstances, I would set the diopter, set them down, and maybe a day later would find them off again. And the majority of the time the diopter would get set back to same place after I reset it.

I would definitely contact SONA regarding this. Honestly it should be a rather easy fix for them and their service always seems too notch.

I’m no expert, but you might have some diopter drift.

I have had a handful of binos over the years that always seemed off to my eyes and displayed this. No matter the circumstances, I would set the diopter, set them down, and maybe a day later would find them off again. And the majority of the time the diopter would get set back to same place after I reset it.

I would definitely contact SONA regarding this. Honestly it should be a rather easy fix for them and their service always seems too notch.
Thank you, Nethero. I thought of drift also, just don't understand how it always goes back to original setting.
I had a bino with diopter drift, and I had to keep adjusting diopter one direction, until it eventually ran out of adjustment.
I agree their service is top notch, which is why I am hesitant to bother them, if it is a problem with me, and not the bino.

Thank you, Nethero. I thought of drift also, just don't understand how it always goes back to original setting.
I had a bino with diopter drift, and I had to keep adjusting diopter one direction, until it eventually ran out of adjustment.
I agree their service is top notch, which is why I am hesitant to bother them, if it is a problem with me, and not the bino.
No problem, hope you can get this sorted.

I will also say that I have recreated similar issues by drinking too much coffee and having too little sleep.

Of course that becomes a positive feedback loop, one of which Swarovski and their stellar service wouldn’t even be able to help.

I'm just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back