• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

small dark bird in Michigan (1 Viewer)

cgswss

Hi all!
I'm a 61 year old male living in Michigan (near St Clair). I have just started feeding and putting out nesting boxes. I live in “horse country” so we have a lot of open area with barns and farm animals.

I have build and put out about 20 bird boxes this spring. They are not fancy, but I build them to be bird specific as to inside size and placement and size of opening. I'm using untreated Ceder. I have set up a feed station with black sunflower seeds, mixed wild bird seed, and a thistle feeder. I also have a covered feeder and suit blocks.

I'm trying to id all the birds that come to my feeders and nesting boxes. Of course I have a bunch of house sparrows. I also have Chipping sparrows, and I think some swamp sparrows. I have Dark-eyed Juncos, black capped Chickadees, and Tufted Titmouse. There are Red winged black birds, Robins, blue jays, and Cardinals around. I also have Starlings, a cow bird, and some grackles. I love the smaller birds and have a bunch of gold finch, and as of yesterday a purple finch. I also have a Downy Woodpecker. Some how I lucked out and have Blue birds nesting in two of my nesting boxes.

I have been able to ID most of the colorful birds (as you can see) but I want to ID every bird. I have been visited by some rather plan small birds as late and wonder what they are. They are “finch size” and are run off easily by any other bird that comes to feed.

I have a poor camera for this sort of think (at least for now) as it only as a 3X optical zoom and I have to use the electronic zoom to get any sort of pic. Please excuse the poor quality.

Craig

Attachments

• new idontknow bird.jpg
    new idontknow bird.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 79
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back