• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some Italian birds (1 Viewer)

Espen

pic 1&2: audouins gulls?
pic 3: pallid or common?(only pic I have on dark background, looks like a common to me)
pic 4: juvenile roller? flight was perfect and I can't think what else it could be, just the underparts seemed the wrong colour

cheers

espen:t:

Attachments

• italy-7.jpg
    italy-7.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 153
  • italy-9.jpg
    italy-9.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 138
  • italy-14.jpg
    italy-14.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 163
  • italy-6.jpg
    italy-6.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 193
impossible to id the gulls, but 1 looks better for YLG.
3 looks more like a house martin than a swift.
4 photo could be deceiving but it looks a bit like a young roller. but bill looks fine, so maybe blue rock thrush.

impossible to id the gulls, but 1 looks better for YLG.
3 looks more like a house martin than a swift.
4 photo could be deceiving but it looks a bit like a young roller. but bill looks fine, so maybe blue rock thrush.

swift is definately a swift, and the roller bird was too big for brt, size of a small jackdaw, and flight was spot on from the description I read of roller

here's a blurred, uncropped picture that may give a better impression of size?(i think that whatever it's sat on makes it look smaller)

Attachments

• italy....jpg
    italy....jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 122
another pic of the swift which it looks more like a swift

also the other bird seemed so un-rock thrush like when I saw it, it didn't even enter my mind, seemed so much more bulky, so I have doubts about it being either, but i can't think of anything else it could be!

Attachments

• italy..jpg
    italy..jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 84
you can't id the swift - common vs. pallid is hard enough with clear pics to be fair

if I had to guess - I'd say Common as it looks very dark

Last edited:
you can't id the swift - common vs. pallid is hard enough with clear pics to be fair

if I had to guess - I'd say Common as it looks very dark

I was just showing that it was in fact a swift in the second pic, and was pretty sure it was common as i couldn't see a defined dark patch on the back(and of course pallid being less common)

cheers, guess thay can't be id'd definitely

Definitely Blue Rock Thrush - I see them a number of times every week for years and this one doesn't look strange at all to me - shape and blue crown with darker shadow along the eye being spot on. The swift is unidentifiable but Common or Pallid. The gulls on the water do seem to have rather solid black wing-tips so could just possibly be Audouin's though would have been more identifiable in the field than in the photo.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back