• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South Island Kokako......? (1 Viewer)

There are also photos circulating just now, purported to be a potential SI Kokako (I don't know if it is the same purported sighting as the one mentioned in the birdguides write up), that show what is most certainly a New Zealand Falcon. While there is perhaps still a small chance that this bird persists, it's increasingly another Thylacine or Ivory-billed WP situation where there are myriad unsubstantiated reports and never any actual evidence.

While I envy your optimism, the tales of Ivory-billed Woodpecker, Thylacine and countless own experiences with short glimpses of potential megas that subsequently turned out to be mich more common and expected species, have taught me to become more sceptical of sightings that involve some level of uncertainty, especially if non-experts are involved in the claims.
Just last week I chased a potential Snowy Owl, that turned out to be a much more likely white morph buzzard.

In short, I want to believe, but I don't

I suppose that it depends really on the 2007 sighting. If that really stacks up, the gap of 1967 to 2007 gives some degree of faith that this could be a genuine sighting but the large number of probable reports with no pics or confirmed recordings has a familiar pattern.

Be interested in informed comment on historical status & patterns of occurrence rather than what I have just gleaned on an Internet search!

Everything crossed.

All the best

Pauk

Interesting that Birds of the World states

‘CRITICALLY ENDANGERED (POSSIBLY EXTINCT). Restricted-range species: now confined, if still survives, to South Island of New Zealand EBA. The last confirmed sightings of this species were made in 2007 (2), and before that in 1967 (4); with recent reports deemed perhaps not to be credible (5), it is now considered extinct by many. If it is still extant, its population must be exceedingly small and perhaps still declining because of invasive predators. Subfossil bones are common in deposits all over South Island. Its range was reduced across much of E South Island following Maori settlement, but remained locally common in some remote areas into the 1870s but declined markedly through the 1880s until few fragmented populations remained by 1900. Most records were from W coast of South Island from NW Nelson to Fiordland, but with reports also from Marlborough, Banks Peninsula, Arthurs Pass, Mt Cargill, Catlins, Southland and Stewart I. Historical decline was the result of large-scale habitat destruction and fragmentation, and the introduction of predators and competitors. Predation of eggs and chicks by black rats (Rattus rattus) and brush-tailed possums (Trichosurus vulpecula) led to frequent nest failure, while deaths of nesting adult females were due to predation by stoats (Mustela erminea). These predators, all introduced, are currently the main threat to the species. Moreover, brush-tailed possums compete for many of the birds’ preferred food items, and introduced deer and goats destroy understorey foodplants. Earlier forest destruction for logging has also been a major factor, as the species is thought to require fairly large tracts of forest. Most of the remaining habitat is protected, and efforts to locate individuals of this species continue to be made (6), with sightings still being claimed. There is an urgent need to continue with surveys in order to determine whether this species still survives.’

The last sentence needs no explanation to anyone who has visited NZ. Although DOC are working hard to eradicate intrusive species, it is a tough job, with no sign of an end to the tunnel.

If the bird does hang on anywhere, it would seem most likely in a remote and wooded valley, where introduced species are unknown or scarce (at the moment).

The race is surely and sadly on between discovery and protection of any remaining birds, and extinction.

It is a sad fact that introduced species have raised havoc in NZ, and many of the native birds would likely to be extinct, if it was not for large scale intervention - the iconic Black Stilt for one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back