• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southend (1 Viewer)

michaelburnett74

Hiya all
I have a family function in Southend this weekend and can bunk off Saturday morning,time will be tight so i would be grateful if someone could suggest somewhere as close to Southend as possible,wetland if possible as i havn't seen many waders but i'm grateful for anyinformation,if anyone could help it would be great
thanks in advance
yours Michael Burnett

Hiya all
I have a family function in Southend this weekend and can bunk off Saturday morning,time will be tight so i would be grateful if someone could suggest somewhere as close to Southend as possible,wetland if possible as i havn't seen many waders but i'm grateful for anyinformation,if anyone could help it would be great
thanks in advance
yours Michael Burnett

Hi Micheal

Im not to familiar with the area but I think EWT,s two tree island may be a good bet.

PH

Park at TQ 824 853, then walk over to the far west side of the island TQ 814 849, there is a hide there good spot for waders. I've seen avocets and other waders in January. Also saw Water Rail there in the reeds on the right side of the hide.

People fly RC planes on that side of the island so be careful you don't get your head chopped off on the way to the hide.

Last edited:
Yes, the west end lagoon on Two Tree seems a great place - on a 'quiet' day there recently I saw lots of Teal, Wigeon, some Shovelers and Shelducks, plenty of Avocets, Redshank, some Curlews, Little Egrets, a Water Rail, plus Sparrowhawk and an American Mink. The seafront at the east end of Leigh-on-Sea seems good too, when I visited at low tide there were loads of Brent Geese and Black-tailed Godwits there. Low tide around Southend pier also seems to attracts Curlews, Little Egrets, Redshank, lots of Dunlins, Turnstones and probably more besides.

Hiya all
thanks in advance
yours Michael Burnett

The links on the left of this excellent website will give you some good ideas; for shorebirds/waders, Tilbury used to be my favoured spot.
http://www.southendrspb.co.uk/index.htm

And of course there is always the possibility of "Rossi" the ring-billed gull - he hangs out around Rossi's ice cream parlour on Westcliff sea front - back for something like the 10th winter - he's very fond of chips I understand!!

Going the other way you've got Shoeburyness and Foulness island, more mud than you will ever see this side of the Wash.
Some of it is MOD land however so you would need to check on access. Its usually OK at weekends, but I've not been for a while so my info may be out of date.
Cheers
Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back