• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southern water pollution - appalling read (1 Viewer)

That really is a disgrace, isn't it.

Do I read it right that there's on-going investigations for a possible criminal case?

That really is a disgrace, isn't it.

Do I read it right that there's on-going investigations for a possible criminal case?
I’m guessing as there are no names of staff involved at the time that could be the case. That this was part of the culture of a large company spread across multiple sites is unbelievable. Who takes that line on behalf of an employer under the normal conditions of their job? More so that those responsible must have lived in the areas affected.

I can't remember how long ago it was - maybe 30 years or more - that Southern Water became a by-word amongst local naturalists for "polluters", putting a new spin on the word "scum".

A friend who lives near Thorney Island has challenged them regularly about sewage discharge and they appear as slippery and unpalatable as the stuff they describe as acceptable discharge. They wear you down with the intricacies of law (which is about the only thing they're any good at!) and, if that doesn't work, decide that where you live is ripe for sale to developers.

There's very little that seems to touch them. Court warnings and fines are tossed away with an arrogant "shareholders' will pay" whilst the people at the top seem to be untouched (including by those very shareholders). Without any doubt in my mind, they're run by unprincipled rapers of our natural environment who care for nothing except how to dodge around the flimsy regulations which hold little threat for them.

Until senior managers are sent to prison or have their enormously wealthy lifestyles curtailed financially, there is little likelihood of change.

Peter

I can't remember how long ago it was - maybe 30 years or more - that Southern Water became a by-word amongst local naturalists for "polluters", putting a new spin on the word "scum".

A friend who lives near Thorney Island has challenged them regularly about sewage discharge and they appear as slippery and unpalatable as the stuff they describe as acceptable discharge. They wear you down with the intricacies of law (which is about the only thing they're any good at!) and, if that doesn't work, decide that where you live is ripe for sale to developers.

There's very little that seems to touch them. Court warnings and fines are tossed away with an arrogant "shareholders' will pay" whilst the people at the top seem to be untouched (including by those very shareholders). Without any doubt in my mind, they're run by unprincipled rapers of our natural environment who care for nothing except how to dodge around the flimsy regulations which hold little threat for them.

Until senior managers are sent to prison or have their enormously wealthy lifestyles curtailed financially, there is little likelihood of change.

Peter
It’s corruption. Something we seem to be coming inured to as a nation.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back