• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrowhawk (1 Viewer)

edenwatcher said:
When I first saw it, I thought "surely that's a hobby". However on closer inspection the beak is much too heavy etc.

Rob

...and the moustache is to large (broad)
JanJ

JANJ said:
...and the moustache is to large (broad)
JanJ

surely you're not suggesting it's a Peregrine !!

Just so there's no confusion to later posters this is in reference to Xenospizas pic of a putative Peregrine on page four ...

Last edited:
Can someone arrange that when the identity of the hobby/peregrine is finally confirmed to everyone's satisfaction another picture of a contentious falcon gets posted???

James Lowther said:
Can someone arrange that when the identity of the hobby/peregrine is finally confirmed to everyone's satisfaction another picture of a contentious falcon gets posted???

page 4 has another contentious one...or at least I'm arguing that it's NOT a Peregrine, but a Hobby

Certainly puts the term "expert" into perspective! Think I've seen it all now!

What a hobby this birding lark! Wonder when the "ban dodgy photos petition" will begin ;)

Regards,

I'm keeping out of the Peregrine/hobby - except to say I thought it was a Hobby - but as someone who can't tell the front from the back of a blob - I ruled myself out.

I have a contentious falcon... give me 5

Attachments

• fal1.JPG
    fal1.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
only just seen the ' peregrine' that was ringed. its a hobby for sure. janes picture is a little more interesting and has less responce i see. wait till the grey morph gyr hybrid photos! !

jonny h said:
only just seen the ' peregrine' that was ringed. its a hobby for sure. janes picture is a little more interesting and has less responce i see. wait till the grey morph gyr hybrid photos! !

Its also safe since there is no definitive answer save that the bird in the extreme bottom left is an adult male Peregrine.

my first thoughts are either Gyr or Saker on wing V's tail length but the plain looking 'trousers' are throwing me off Saker (although I know this isn't written in stone) as is the possibly too broad moustachial (though not sure if evaluating it's broadness correctly) ... it's a BIG falcon assuming that's a pigeon it's tucking into and structurally looks reminiscent of Gyr to me ... another possibility I suppose would be calidus Peregrine but the wing/tail ratio seems wrong ... not sure what those whitish markings on the back of the head signify

Last edited:
where the photo from jane? i think the hybrid theory is safe here for sure - more saker than anything but impossible to I.D. !?

M Cowming said:
Certainly puts the term "expert" into perspective! Think I've seen it all now!

What a hobby this birding lark! Wonder when the "ban dodgy photos petition" will begin ;)

Regards,

how about now Mick....? :cool:

I'd have put a fair amount of cash on it being a 'grine as well.... The only consolation is that I had some good company!!!

listening to the Arctic Monkeys is much more fun...

Tim

form a queue outside Norwich Woolies tomorrow a.m.

Tim Allwood said:
how about now Mick....? :cool:

I'd have put a fair amount of cash on it being a 'grine as well.... The only consolation is that I had some good company!!!

listening to the Arctic Monkeys is much more fun...

Tim

form a queue outside Norwich Woolies tomorrow a.m.

now arctic monkeys rock!! this is not very bird related mind ! mind i was in kestrel camp all the way !

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back