• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Species identification help (1 Viewer)

Can somebody help me identify what this is? I took these pictures earlier today, and I'm fairly sure I haven't seen one of these before.

[edit] I should add, the red flashes on the head are only visible when viewed from the front, and the head appears to turn black as it turns away. All these pictures were taken within a span of a few minutes.

Many thanks...

Regards
Duncan

Attachments

• composite 800.jpg
    composite 800.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Wow, that's a first for me -- hummers in the snow! ;) Poor little fluffball, he sure looks cold. That's an Anna's male, distinguished by color both in the gorget and above the eyes (forehead). Nice shots! :t:

Hi Duncan
The only wintering hummer in your area is supposed to be Anna's Hummingbird and your photos certainly look like one (though I have little experience with the other hummers of the western US).

Tom

thanks!

Having looked at some pictures in the galleries here, and looking at the distribution maps, I was thinking that that's what it would be.

It's actually only just snowed here for the first time today, but it looks like it will stay around for a while. The nectar in the feeder was actually frozen half way down when I took those pictures.

The photos were somewhat limited by a lack of light, and the fact that I grabbed the camera in a hurry and didn't have much time to set it up... but as it happened, he hung around most of the day. I'll see if he's back tomorrow (if the weather reports are right, I'll be working from home tomorrow too).

Again, thanks to all for the information!

Regards
Duncan

forgot to mention - these are all pictures of the same bird. As I said, the color in the head changes dramatically as it turns around, which is why I posted several angles.

Regards
Duncan

I have a female rufous that is wintering here...she's been around for several weeks. We have ice/sleet today and I wish I could bring her in and put her in my pocket! I don't have a camera that will take a good shot of her...

I've been mixing my nectar 3:1 instead of the usual 4:1, which is supposed to keep it from freezing so quickly.

Does the artificial feeding alter the behaviour of the hummingbirds?

Just wondering. Does the artificial feeding alter the behaviour of the hummingbirds? In nature, the hummingbirds would not be able to feed themselves in the winter. How do the feeders alter their migration behaviour?

Cheers, B :)
Wes

duncankitchin said:
Can somebody help me identify what this is? I took these pictures earlier today, and I'm fairly sure I haven't seen one of these before.

[edit] I should add, the red flashes on the head are only visible when viewed from the front, and the head appears to turn black as it turns away. All these pictures were taken within a span of a few minutes.

Many thanks...

Regards
Duncan

I don't know about whether the feeders affect their behavior at all, but I am in the right location for that species at this time of year.

He came back earlier today, by the way... and brought a friend. They didn't hang around for too long though. I'll see if I get any more.

Regards
Duncan

From a hummer listserve, one of the world's experts on hummingbirds, Sheri Williamson, had this to say on the subject:

Natural nectar varies widely in sugar concentration, and a 3:1 feeder solution is well within the range of variation and shouldn't pose a risk of dehydration under most circumstances. In fact, many popular hummingbird-pollinated garden flowers produce nectar much sweeter than the time-honored 4:1 feeder solution. Many experts now use and recommend 3:1 solutions, especially during migration and winter. For more, see this article: Sugar Content of Hummingbird Plants in Louisiana Gardens

I don't recommend solutions higher than 3:1, in part because of the dehydration issue (particularly important here in arid Arizona) and in part because stronger solutions are also more syrupy and harder for the birds to lap up.

Pantanal1 said:
Just wondering. Does the artificial feeding alter the behaviour of the hummingbirds? In nature, the hummingbirds would not be able to feed themselves in the winter. How do the feeders alter their migration behaviour?

Cheers, B :)
Wes

These photos were taken in a location well within the natural winter range of this bird.

humminbird said:
These photos were taken in a location well within the natural winter range of this bird.
But feeders have been credited or accused (depending upon your point of view) with encouraging the expansion of C. anna's range. The OP doesn't say where he lives in Oregon. The Hummingbirds of North America by Paul A. Johnsgard (1983) shows them ranging up only into part of southernmost Oregon.

Curtis Croulet said:
But feeders have been credited or accused (depending upon your point of view) with encouraging the expansion of C. anna's range. The OP doesn't say where he lives in Oregon. The Hummingbirds of North America by Paul A. Johnsgard (1983) shows them ranging up only into part of southernmost Oregon.

True Curtis, but I can show you field guides written today that do not show some hummingbird species that have been in Texas and even nesting in Texas for this state. For how many years had Nancy been saying hummingbirds were spending the winter in her garden before Van went and had a look? What do WE really know about their historic ranges?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back