• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spoon-billed Sandpipers in China (1 Viewer)

My friend Bai Qingquan from Dandong saw up to three Spoon-billed Sandpipers near Dandong on the coast over a few days last week. I know he wouldn't mind me posting that here on this forum.

Tom

not so good in May in Rudong.Only a few were seen in early May eg. when leading Birdquest group.
From mid- to late May my friends did surveys but saw none,which means the number is very low.

Came back from Guangxi and heard that this spring at Beihai a local birder saw Spooner.Will post more details.
Will leave soon for Tibet/Xinjiang and will come back at the end of July.Of course I will miss many early waders in July in Rudong but hope that I can meet the first group of Spooner arriving in Aug.

Spooner's coming back--
after my big count of ADowitcher in Lianyungang,I travelled to Dongtai,north of Rudong.This morning in quite low tide I saw 3 br(moulting inner primaries) and 18+ NGreenshank.
Then at sunset in Rudong I saw 2 NG.

Indeed - great news. Will be interesting to see if any flagged 'head-started' birds get seen.

Hope you have a good spooner season.

Ken

we observed the different moulting stages of NG and Spooner yesterday/today.
NG arrives in mid- to late July,and moults earlier.Now one bird shows 4 old outermost primaries and 6 new inner primaries.Only P6 is not in full length.P5~P1 are fully grown.Secondaries all dropped.But note that a few individual are still in quite br plumage(black looking) so I guess those birds may moult flight feathers later.

Meanwhile,the three Spooner yesterday are very red and one of them shows 5 old outer primaries and only hints of new inner primaries can be seen.Secondaries all dropped.
Spooner arrives in early Aug,later than NG and it moults later.

Just focus too much on those two rare birds and still need more observation on eg. Red-neck Stint and Greenshank:)

3 Spooner in br plumage at Haian,north of Rudong today.NG is quite easy to see anywhere now,today 12+ together with Spooner.
A few days ago at Rudong we saw 1 1st-sum Spooner.

Just a quick heads up for those out surveying and observing the Spooners return passage through E.China to keep a special eye out (yes I know you are anyway) for any potentially colour flagged/ringed juveniles. These are the 'head-started' juveniles from the project, I believe that nine were successfully raised and released - http://www.rarebirdalert.co.uk/v2/Content/800.aspx?s_id=579012900 and http://www.saving-spoon-billed-sand...n/chukotka-2012/headstarting-in-meinypilgyno/

Good luck and fingers crossed!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back