• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spotted Sandpiper (1 Viewer)

sparroweye

Well, someone had asked if a sandpiper with it's head in the
sand would be considered "feeding" or "eating" for the photography contest. I took this one yesteday of two sandpipers with obvious food in their bills but the picture is not that
interesting or colorful. With my camera's I would have to
get very lucky to capture a great photo of a bird feeding. But
it could happen. Some of my favorite photo's have been pure
luck. Enjoy.

Attachments

• sandpiperedit.jpg
    sandpiperedit.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 322
Sanderlings, in summer plumage. Not a plumage one sees very often (unless you live in the high arctic!), so it is an easy one to be confused by.

Very nice!

Michael

Thank You Michael

Thanks. I just found that in my Golden Guide to Birds of North America book. It seems by the cross hatching that they only
pass through here in Spring and Fall. I am a novice. I appreciate
the identification.

Hi Sparroweye,

There should be a thin blue line round the Florida coast, showing that they're with you for the whole of the winter on the beaches. The difference then is that they're in winter plumage, which is pale silvery grey above, rather than patterned black, white & orange, and with a white head. The winter plumage is much more familiar!

Sanderling are very interesting birds in one respect - there is hardly any beach, anywhere in the world, where they can't be seen! Yet they nest only in a few small areas, as close to the North Pole as they can get and still be on land.

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back