• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Springwatch 2014 (2 Viewers)

Euan Buchan

The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Supporter
Scotland
Well Springwatch has now started the cameras are up and Springwatch Extra is on The Red Button & Online can't wait for tonight's show.

Blue Tits, Badgers and Bill Oddie - might be a bit too retro for me. And last year was really great, with lots of interesting new species and footage. Still, it's early days - maybe the Badgers wont show (as usual) and the Blue Tits will quickly fledge or die off (as usual), and we can see lots of new stuff like last year!

Well judging from that first programme and unsprung as well as the badgers and blue tits they've got bullfinches, nightingales, stone curlews, avocets… so all seems pretty great to me! Was lovely to see the close up footage of the ringed plovers, and to see the sand martins in one of their clips too; would be nice to see more of them. I love that area of Suffolk and it has masses of interesting wildlife at this time of year so is a good location choice; with any luck they'll feature nightjars and dartford warblers and some terns too. Maybe some green tiger beetles with the newly-beardy Nick. :t:

The off-colour item was the falconer's White-tailed Eagle. Totally unnecessary plug for an out of date activity with an unsavoury element.

Why not go out with, and plug, one of the boat trips that chuck fish for wild eagles? A better spectacle, funding the local economy instead of the local elite and something that Joe Public can do on holiday.

Nice to see Iolo being eaten alive though.

John

I thought the programme was pretty good, particularly the Stone Curlew shots. The one creature that I could do without is Martin, more irritating than a million midges!

James.

It's been a good couple of programmes. I don't mind the common stuff as much now, especially since they don't endlessly jump to live cameras in the hope of seeing something. There's loads of other good stuff around the common birds/mammals stuff, so something for everything. And tomorrow they're heading out to sea which they don't do all that often.

"Birds moult all of their feathers every year" erm, no, they don't, and an excellent example of birds not moulting all of their feathers every year is provided by...none other than large raptors, like the WTE ;) Maybe I'm getting increasingly crotchety and pedantic as I grow older, but I find inaccurate information - delivered as fact - really annoying. On the other hand, maybe the girl with the WTE actually believes what she was saying, in which case she probably isn't fit to look after a goldfish, never mind a large raptor.

cheers
martin

The off-colour item was the falconer's White-tailed Eagle. Totally unnecessary plug for an out of date activity with an unsavoury element.

Why not go out with, and plug, one of the boat trips that chuck fish for wild eagles? A better spectacle, funding the local economy instead of the local elite and something that Joe Public can do on holiday.

Nice to see Iolo being eaten alive though.

John

Loving the show, some excellent nest finding, however some of the footage in the first program i had seen on the BBC1 show "Hebrides, Islands on the edge".

Damian

I find I'm enjoying the live programmes through the day when I get a chance to look at them. The live cam programmes are great even when little is going on. Love the bitterns and the nightingales. Very relaxing viewing and no commentary. Just lazy birdwatching via your TV. I could get used to this.

Si.

What did anyone make of the shots of how the team precede the show finding nests....?
I thought it was a shocker really, walking down the paths and swatting bushes with sticks etc until a bird flew out and then probing for the nest.... we never did that in my day when we went nesting...! We just waited and observed with no forced reaction of "belting" the bushes....even we in our naivety we had standards..!
Do we really need new footage this badly .....?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back