• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spurfowl, Tsavo West, Kenya (1 Viewer)

Steve Keen

Been stewing on this one since I saw in, in Tsavo West 2/2/23, not too far from Ngulia Lodge.
It would've gone down as Hildebrandt's were it not for the striking red bill and legs, more reminiscent of Scaly.
The only other spurfowl seen that day were a couple of Yellow-necked, so nothing to compare it with, and didn't (otherwise) see Hildebrandt's on the trip. Am I just overthinking it, and this is within the range of variation for Hildebrandt's, or am I overlooking something?

Spurfowl.JPG

njlarsen: yes, have looked at a lot of pics on eBird and elsewhere, but can't find any that are quite so brightly-billed
THE FERN: yes again, it was just the brightness of the bill that had me a little puzzled, and because I was puzzled at the time, I've let it get in my head a bit.

But with some backup (ie: nobody disagreeing as such) it will be stuck down as Hildebrandt's.

Cheers both of you

The only one I have seen was like your bird. The illustrations in 'Birds of East Africa' seem to lack the red especially on the male, but those in 'Birds of Africa South of the Sahara' show the strong red clearly (although the black spotting here doesn't look very natural).

160107291 Tarangire.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back