• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Squirrel baffle for feeders (1 Viewer)

Evan Atkinson

Always finding a way to go off topic...
United Kingdom
Hey there birders, I'm having a little bit of a squirrel issue at the moment, and I can't stand watching them eat the birds food! We are looking at getting a station for the feeders, but to make it squirrel proof, I was looking at getting some baffels to protect the bird food, and also as an added bonus it will keep the food dry. I already have an idea on what I want to get, but does anyone have any baffles protecting the feeder? How effective is it, and where did you get it from? All advice and help is greatly appreciated.

Ev

Hey there birders, I'm having a little bit of a squirrel issue at the moment, and I can't stand watching them eat the birds food! We are looking at getting a station for the feeders, but to make it squirrel proof, I was looking at getting some baffels to protect the bird food, and also as an added bonus it will keep the food dry. I already have an idea on what I want to get, but does anyone have any baffles protecting the feeder? How effective is it, and where did you get it from? All advice and help is greatly appreciated.

Ev
Local rspb reserve haven’t quite got it right yet

Attachments

• 8A8C2A9C-32B3-439A-92F5-4F9296D06249.jpeg
    8A8C2A9C-32B3-439A-92F5-4F9296D06249.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 27
I have a similar problem with one of my feeders:

Now I am mixing a bit of chili pepper in the seeds mix. Will see if it'll discourage the squirrels.

My best plan of action recently has been using a combination of weight-sensitive squirrel-proof bird feeders and spicy bird seed. I believe a squirrel baffle can be a valuable third line of defense!

I made a baffle from thin sheet metal. They just slid over it and eventually demolished it. My feeders are under a tree so I fed a long, 15', wire over a branch and hung it. I've had no problem since. I started with about half that and they slid down the wire. This length is too much for them.

closeplates.jpg I have a nice back deck with a few bird feeders - and a big issue with grey squirrels. The dome over the feeders is important because the squirrels can jump onto the pole the feeders are hanging from. I screwed another baffle from the bottom of the large feeder because the squirrels would just get on the deck railing and jump up, grab onto the base of the feeder and eat all they wanted. I tried putting things on the railing to put them off but even carpet tack strips failed. Finally I went to the dollar store and bought a pile of cheap plastic plates. Drilled small holes in the middle of the plate, used fishing cord and thin metal to attach, large metal paper clips attached to the cord under the plates. Looks kind of like UFO's moving around - but the squirrels can't get to the food. They get in position and jump, but they fall to the deck emptyhanded.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back