• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Starlings (2 Viewers)

There's a family of starlings nesting in my neighbour's eves through an old hole for an over flow pipe. They've been feeding chicks for a while, so I'm expecting them any day now. The parents often feed at our feeders so I'm sure they'll introduce me soon!

Trouble is they bring the youngsters to my window feeder..... not designed for half a dozen fighting for room!!!

There's food elsewhere for them LOL

So far breeding in and around my garden hasn't went well. The starling nest that I mentioned... I don't know for sure but it seems like the fledglings fledged while the parents were away. For one whole day the parents just stood on the roof above the nest hole looking very lost. Just standing there all day. Occasionally they'd fly off somewhere (probably to eat or search for them) then just return and just stand there again. Wherever the fledglings were I doubt they were getting fed enough.

And we have a blue tit nest box in the garden. Yesterday morning I noticed that there was a lot of material bunched up on the entrance hole - so I went and had a look and it turns out something had tried to take the nesting material out through the hole and blocked it. When I moved it out the way, there were eggs and a dead hatchling inside.
Can only think that maybe a starling or something tried to take some of the material and blocked the hole. Not sure what else would have managed it.

Oh!! How sad on both counts Andy.

That's really disappointing for you lad.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back