• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Still crying (1 Viewer)

inspireme

United States
I have been feeding the birds and squirrels in my yard under a group of bushes for shelter..some guy said he was from the city of Chicago told me to stop it!
These critters and whomever show up are used to me feeding them and the two houses behind me are renters and I own my home!
I also live in a suburb but the 2 renters live in Chicago…..
There are some voles who showed up during the pandemic but they stay in burrows under thr bushes…
So after 15 years I could no longer feed my birds?
My home and yard contain no trash but the renters have overflowing garbage!
So my birds are punished and they may even come and poison the voles!
So very upset!

You should probably check whether said guy actually has any authority to tell you to stop it.

If he does, plant things that grow berries and seeds, and you should be able to attract birds. That's their natural food source.

That said, the critters will be fine. They're wild animals, after all. We never want the animals we feed to be reliant upon us, as it's important that they stay wild. I'm sure they'll be annoyed to lose the buffet, but they'll fend for themselves like they do everywhere else.

Hi, welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and moderators. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group. Agree with Tired. Check your local zoning ordinances and see what they actually say. If you live in the suburb, a Chicago city official should not be able to tell you what to do.

Hi inspireme and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you! (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back