• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stray dove? UK (1 Viewer)

Paul Collins

Hello,

I've just seen a collared dove at the end of my garden. I live in Dulwich in London, and have never ever seen one in the area. Furthermore, I have never seen one anywhere in London, having lived here for 10 years. I thought that they lived in the countryside, maybe an hour or two's drive from London.

Is this an unusual/rare sighting for London?

f.jpg

i wouldn't think they were that unusual in london, but dont live there and have never birded there, but i get doves in the garden daily and so do a few other i know who live in the middle of towns (not a city i know, but not the countryside)

I don't know about in London but in my area they're a regular garden bird. We get the odd pigeon as well but it's mostly Collared Doves were see.

They are common in London (at least at my end) but very localised - they're regulars at the other end of my road, for instance, but I've only ever seen 1 in the garden.

They are quite common in the suburbs in places. I get a few in my Greenford garden + I see plenty in Walpole Park by Ealing Broadway, yet I've never seen one in Kew Gardens (I visit several times a year) a mile or 2 to the south, where there would be plenty of suitable habitat.

They are scarce in inner London where they are usually flyovers!

Hi,

Common both where I live in Kingston-upon-Thames and in Dartford where I work. They do however, become rarer the closer you get to Central London.

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back