• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sunflower hearts.. where's the best place to buy? (1 Viewer)

greenfrog

I usually get everything nowadays from ebay because its just the cheapest.

4kg of sunflower hearts for about £11.60? Anyone comment if there are better places to buy seeds etc? Garden centres are bit of a rip off ofc.

I get mine from GJW Titmuss. £29.99 for a 22.68 Kg sack including delivery. They are good quality and delivery has always been speedy. Here is the link.

Ron

I get mine from GJW Titmuss. £29.99 for a 22.68 Kg sack including delivery. They are good quality and delivery has always been speedy. Here is the link.

Ron

Thanks for the link - ordered mine today. You can save 3.03% on the above price by using Topcashback. OK, so its only 90p, but every penny counts, as a certain large supermarket says. If you aren't a member of Topcashback, I would appreciate it if you signed up via my referral link:
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/bongofury

I usually get everything nowadays from ebay because its just the cheapest.

4kg of sunflower hearts for about £11.60? Anyone comment if there are better places to buy seeds etc? Garden centres are bit of a rip off ofc.

It may be worth it to be careful about buying bulk seeds.
If aimed for farm use, they may have been treated with fungicides, often mercury compounds, to improve their shelf life.
If there is any certifying authority that warrants clean seed, I'd like to learn about it.

Etudiant, here in my country (Austria) that´s two different things.
Farmers don´t grow sunflowers which one buys for bird feeding. Farmers plant special seeds with many different names for different purposes, e.g.:
http://tinyurl.com/m49kfca
They may be protected by fungicides or other seed treatments protecting them from birds (pheasant, feral pigeons) feeding on them.
On the other hand I buy repeatedly bags with 20 kg of sunflower for feeding our parrots (mixing it inside ready parrot food because many of these have too much of sunflower seeds) and feeding wild birds. This I buy at a special warehouse which sells only bird/pigeon/rabbits/poultry- food and equipment imported from Belgium, Germany, Nederlands etc.
But also regulary supermarkets and shops are selling sunflower seeds for feeding wild birds in different weights.
I´ve to mention that here it´s not common like in the UK or US to feed the whole year, nor do we run the common english variants nyjer feeder - sunflower feeder and suet but prefering special mix for wild birds like this:
http://www.leimueller.info/edtmuehl...ge/product/Waldvogelfutter__4a337c7a1c732.jpg

Last edited:
This I buy at a special warehouse which sells only bird/pigeon/rabbits/poultry- food and equipment imported from Belgium, Germany, Nederlands etc.
But also regulary supermarkets and shops are selling sunflower seeds for feeding wild birds in different weights.

That is wonderfully convenient.
Here in the urban US, such specialty warehouses are hard to find and the ability of suppliers to offer anything available for sale as 'Wild Bird Seed' is pretty unregulated. The buyer really has no idea what is in the package.

In the USA the best place to buy usually is a Feed store, independents and mom and pop owned have amazing prices. Even in Urban places you can usually find one not too far.

In the USA the best place to buy usually is a Feed store, independents and mom and pop owned have amazing prices. Even in Urban places you can usually find one not too far.

Thank you, that is very helpful advice.
Even better, there actually still is such a store here in NYC.
It is called Bronx Animal Feeds and this is the web link:
http://www.animalfeedsbx.com/#about

I'd thought the last had gone once they closed the stables for the horses in Central Park, but apparently there is a revival in locally raised chickens.

I am sue if you look around you may find another feed store maybe a bit further though, the hard part seems to find them at first. Glad my advice helped!

It may be worth it to be careful about buying bulk seeds.
If aimed for farm use, they may have been treated with fungicides, often mercury compounds, to improve their shelf life.
If there is any certifying authority that warrants clean seed, I'd like to learn about it.
In the UK you can buy "bakery grade" sunflower hearts, which do not have such nasties in them.
eg
Premium grade sunflower hearts 25kg
by Kennedy wild bird food

:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back