• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Quality of Sunflower Hearts (1 Viewer)

Dembele

United Kingdom
Has anyone notice differences in the quality of sunflower hearts. I usually buy 12 kg bags from Costco when they are in stock. They are usually around £10 a bag when on special. I ran out and bought a 12 kg bag from Home Bargain which were a little more expensive but far cheaper than many outlets. However I found that they stick to the side of the seed feeders. A closer look revealed that they are not all full seeds. Lots of seed fragments mixed in.

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

It's a shame the dearer purchase wasn't such good quality.

Has anyone noticed a difference in the quality of sunflower hearts. I usually purchase 12 kg bags from Costco when in stock. Usually around £10 a bag. I recently ran out and purchased a 12 kg bag from home bargain. A little bit more expensive but a lot less than many outlets. However I found that the seeds were very dusty and sticking to the sides of my feeders. A closer look revealed that the bag contains a mix of full seeds and seed fragments. Perhaps I was unlucky and got the floor sweepings.

i'm using the Home Bargains sunflower hearts at the moment,they are not complete hearts but very small pieces of heart and dust which are clogging my feeders,won't be buying them again.

It's the old adage - you get what you pay for. I used to buy sunflower " nibs " which would get mushy and clog up the feeders. Now I buy " bakers quality " hearts in 12.5 kg bags. Far more expensive but cleaner and no blockage issues.

The seeds from Costco are excellent quality and excellent value. They only seem to sell them once a year but when they do they are on special for £10 a bag. Last year I bought 3 bags and kept one sealed bag in my garage. The damage done by mice and squirrels far outweighed the saving. You live and learn.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back