• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Surprise! (1 Viewer)

marcus

Hello
I had to send this.
This morning I was out doing a little birding before work. As I walked along a nearby lake I saw a man with binoculars looking up in a tree. "A birder! Let me go say hello to him". When I walked up to him I asked if he sees anything good. He told me, "Everything's new to me. I'm from England." That really surprised me. I was hoping that he might of been one of the BirdForum members, but he told me that he had never heard of BirdForum. I told him that it's main office is in UK, and that most of the members are from there.
He was a little interested in that and asked me what do they do there. I told him that we look at different pictures sent in by digital cameras, and send different messages, mainly about birds and birding.
This English birder asked me about a few birds, the Blue-gray Gnatcatchers in the tree, and asked me what do Carolina Chickadees look like. I was surprised he asked that, and I told him that they look like the Tits over in England. He knew that chickadees look like Tits. He had been in New York and had seen Black-capped Chickadees there. He wanted to know if Carolina Chickadees looked any different. I told him that they look the same, but sound different.
There's a large hotel on the other side of the lake, and I asked him if that's where he is staying. He said yes, and he came to that hotel not just to stay there, but he came for a medical meeting that was held there yesterday. He said that he is leaving later today, and at 7:00 he came out to do a little birding.
He told me that he has seen about 30 American birds. What he really liked was a Green Heron he saw yesterday. I asked him if he had seen Great Blue Herons also. He said yes, but didn't sound too excited. I guess it's because Great Blue's look a lot like the Grey Herons over there.
He told me that he has to leave and started to walk away. I said "Goodbye" to him and began to look up at the Gnatcatchers when he called me and asked what is the 'cackling' he hears up in the trees. I thought at first that he was talking about some birds, but then I found out that he was talking about crickets, that he said sound a lot different than the crickets over there. These crickets start low, then get very loud, then slowly get low again and stop. That sound was new to him.
Oh yeah, I also told him that he should use his computer, (I'm sure a doctor like him has internet access) and look up BirdForum.net. He told me that he would.

Last edited:
Lol! From the UK and hasn't heard of Bird Forum!

Shame on him ;)

We may just have a new member in the offing!

IanF said:
Lol! From the UK and hasn't heard of Bird Forum!

Shame on him ;)

We may just have a new member in the offing!
That's just what I was thinking. "From England and has never of heard of BirdForum?" How could that be? I wondered if he just recently became a birder. But he said that when he was in New York he saw Black-capped Chickadees. And he knew what those little birds in the tree were. I guess he's been doing it for a while.
I thought of 'sadly' saying something about the London bombing, but I decided that it wouldn't be a good idea. That wasn't wrong, was it?

OK Woundsinger. Thanks. I'll try to remember that.
I just thought of something. It's after 1:00 there. You're still up, reading messages?
You should get to bed. Don't you have to go to work tomorrow?

Last edited:
I was just reading that message where I asked 'Don't you have to go to work tomorrow?' I should have said 'go to work later?'

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back