• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sussex Birding (1 Viewer)

They fledged ages ago. I saw the whole family, all 6 of them at Pagham Spit weeks ago, can't remember when exactly. Maybe BBB knows their current status.

Not sure of their exact status - but they're ever-present around the harbour at the moment and can be seen chasing anything and everything!!
On a different note - I saw the Ortolan on Sunday evening going to roost in the bushes alongside the Horseshoe carpark at Belle Tout at about 1835 so was surprised there was no sign of it the following morning. Never had a sniff of the Icky infortunately....

Is that Pagham Harbour? I usually go to the Church Norton Car Park, and walk through from there, or to get a better chance of seeing them would it be better to start walking from the building on the main road?

obm

On a different note - I saw the Ortolan on Sunday evening going to roost in the bushes alongside the Horseshoe carpark at Belle Tout at about 1835 so was surprised there was no sign of it the following morning. Never had a sniff of the Icky infortunately....

Well done! I went there last week, Monday I think it was, and not a sniff of it in the blustery conditions.:-C

Might go to Pagham tomorrow.........thinking of starting at the North Wall but don't really know what's about.

Planning to visit Chichester and Pagham on Saturday, just looking at B & Bs so I can do the Fontwell boot sale on Sunday am.

obm

Is that Pagham Harbour? I usually go to the Church Norton Car Park, and walk through from there, or to get a better chance of seeing them would it be better to start walking from the building on the main road?

obm

Yeah obm, park at Norton and just walk down and view the harbour from the 'crescent' of shingle. Scan the tops of the islands and any protuberances in the saltings and you should see them

Ads

Well done! I went there last week, Monday I think it was, and not a sniff of it in the blustery conditions.:-C

Might go to Pagham tomorrow.........thinking of starting at the North Wall but don't really know what's about.

Hey Joanne - bummer! See there's a couple of good bits in that area again today, White Stork and Lap Bunt.
As to stuff around Pagham itself...hmmmm!! Fishbourne creek's probably worth a look if the tide's low (or better, rising from low) as there're lot more waders in there at the moment

Great views of an Osprey seen flying low over West Beach at 0920 and watched for several minutes as it continued it's journey over Climping this morning.

Park by Apuldram Church and follow the footpath round to the left of it and out towards the creek. If you follow the creek northwards the grass path becomes a 'proper' raised path along the seawall and gives a better viewpoint. This is the best place to look out for waders.

And thank you again BBB. Went to Fishbourne Creek this afternoon at low tide, well, on the turn. So many waders, a wonderful couple of hours viewing.

obm

Good stuff obm. No sign of the American Goldie then.....?
On another note - Selsey bill is officially shite!! Had enough of the goddamn place.....fed up of putting in so many hours and getting f-all in reward for doing so....!! Grrrrrrr......and please can someone shoot whomever it is that predicts wind direction for the south coast - another promise of a SW5 only to find a light NW when we get down there. I blame the IOW.....sink it!!!

Went again today to coincide with Hi tide, what a difference. Lots of birds at the far inland end, an amazing day again.

obm

1983 multiple Pec Sands - date?

Dear all

Apologies for ancient history, but I'm trying to tidy up some old records and my notes from the 1980s are lost, so ... anyone with access to a 1983 SBR or an encyclopedic memory know the date or dates on which THREE Pectoral Sandpipers were seen at (from memory) either Pett Pools or a then superb bit of flooded field on the Normans Bay road?

Many thanks

Jonathan (Sussex intermittent birder 1981-1988)

The 1983 SxBR refers to a single bird at Northpoint Pit on 6 Sept. It then moved to Pett Pools the following day and was joined by another on the 8th, with 3 there from 9th - 14th. One of these remained until the 18th and was seen again on 25th and 30th.

Many thanks for such a prompt and detailed response!

Jonathan

The 1983 SxBR refers to a single bird at Northpoint Pit on 6 Sept. It then moved to Pett Pools the following day and was joined by another on the 8th, with 3 there from 9th - 14th. One of these remained until the 18th and was seen again on 25th and 30th.

The juvenile Buff-breasted Sandpiper still showing well at Arlington reservoir this evening, along with an Avocet, a Black-tailed Godwit, 5 Dunlin and 6 Ringed Plovers. A Barn Owl was seen in flight near the car park at 6pm.

Hi,

Could anyone tell me if the Snow Bunting is still at Kithurst Hill, and if so how to get to the Hill, where to park and where is best to view from?

Thanks in advance

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back