• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SV focusing wheel Q's (1 Viewer)

This thread is all about them not working perfectly.....
I've handled more than two dozen Swarovisions and every one was 100% functional. These threads are about obsessions that have little relation to the real world. Swarovski commands the birding market because people love their products. I doubt so many happy customers could be so wrong.

I've handled more than two dozen Swarovisions and every one was 100% functional. These threads are about obsessions that have little relation to the real world. Swarovski commands the birding market because people love their products. I doubt so many happy customers could be so wrong.

Just.............wow........I can't really touch this.

Well, I know for a fact you never handled mine! My focus was so bad, it would make noises and literally stick on one side internally while focusing, causing the image to jump with one side then in focus and the other not. Plus the knob would stick at both ends of travel. It was so bad, on a brand-new unit, it never should have made it out the door if anyone had bothered to check it. Obsession my butt!

Well, I know for a fact you never handled mine! My focus was so bad, it would make noises and literally stick on one side internally while focusing, causing the image to jump with one side then in focus and the other not. Plus the knob would stick at both ends of travel. It was so bad, on a brand-new unit, it never should have made it out the door if anyone had bothered to check it. Obsession my butt!
Then you send it back to the retailer or send it in for repair. I've seen bad focus mechanisms on many alphas, including some heralded as perfect. As I said, I've looked at a few dozen Swarovisions that all had acceptable focus mechanisms. I'm quite certain a few imperfect samples make it to market. I know that from personal experience!

PS
Until we see some statistics (good vs. bad focus mechanisms), it's quite silly to paint an entire product line with the same brush.

During the last 25 years I have owned binoculars by Zeiss (3 pairs), Swarovski (2) and Nikon (2). I don't have an allegiance to any one manufacturer; I want the "best" bins for birding or insect-watching regardless of the manufacturer or exact specification (but I prefer 6.5-8 x 32-42)

One pair of Zeiss (Conquest 8x32) had a faulty focuser/dioptre and were returned within a week of purchase. My Swarovski 8x32 EL central focusing wheel broke on its second outing (rapidly repaired by Swarovski). My Nikon 8x32 HG focusing wheel became stiff after 9 years heavy use (rapidly resolved by Nikon)

A year ago I started the search for a new pair of binoculars and thought the Swarovski SV 8x32 were optically the "best" of all the 8x32s I tried (including Zeiss Conquest & Victory, and Nikon EDG & HG). However, during my assessment I tried at least a dozen SV 8x32s and the focusing wheel was stiff or gritty in about half of them. My findings may not be statistically significant, but, together with other users' experiences, were enough to make me look elsewhere. (I eventually chose the Nikon 7x42 EDG II)

During the last 25 years I have owned binoculars by Zeiss (3 pairs), Swarovski (2) and Nikon (2). I don't have an allegiance to any one manufacturer; I want the "best" bins for birding or insect-watching regardless of the manufacturer or exact specification (but I prefer 6.5-8 x 32-42)

One pair of Zeiss (Conquest 8x32) had a faulty focuser/dioptre and were returned within a week of purchase. My Swarovski 8x32 EL central focusing wheel broke on its second outing (rapidly repaired by Swarovski). My Nikon 8x32 HG focusing wheel became stiff after 9 years heavy use (rapidly resolved by Nikon)

A year ago I started the search for a new pair of binoculars and thought the Swarovski SV 8x32 were optically the "best" of all the 8x32s I tried (including Zeiss Conquest & Victory, and Nikon EDG & HG). However, during my assessment I tried at least a dozen SV 8x32s and the focusing wheel was stiff or gritty in about half of them. My findings may not be statistically significant, but, together with other users' experiences, were enough to make me look elsewhere. (I eventually chose the Nikon 7x42 EDG II)
And every single, solitary out-of-the-box Ultravid would feel "gritty" too. Metal on metal lubrication requires use to wear in and smooth out. It happened on my 7X42 Ultravid, my 8.5X42 Swarovision and my wife's 8X32 Swarovision. Personally, I'm happy to trade a short break-in period for the lasting benefit of all-weather use. Nikon's, for example, are smooth (plenty of lube inside) until global cooling occurs (aka winter).

Thankfully, there are choices!

..... As I said, I've looked at a few dozen Swarovisions that all had acceptable focus mechanisms .....

No-one in their right mind will look to stump up TWO AND A HALF GRAND for an "acceptable" focus mechanism ......

For "TWO AND A HALF GRAND" it had better feel like S*X !! 8-P :cat: :smoke:

Chosun :gh:

No-one in their right mind will look to stump up TWO AND A HALF GRAND for an "acceptable" focus mechanism ......

For "TWO AND A HALF GRAND" it had better feel like S*X !! 8-P :cat: :smoke:

CJ

I'm getting worried about you.

What has a sleepy cat, evidently ridden with fleas from the way it's scratching, got to do with S-X?

Lee

And every single, solitary out-of-the-box Ultravid would feel "gritty" too. Metal on metal lubrication requires use to wear in and smooth out. It happened on my 7X42 Ultravid, my 8.5X42 Swarovision and my wife's 8X32 Swarovision. Personally, I'm happy to trade a short break-in period for the lasting benefit of all-weather use. Nikon's, for example, are smooth (plenty of lube inside) until global cooling occurs (aka winter).

Thankfully, there are choices!

My word, you have had a gritty time. Your assumption that all the bins I tried were "out-of-the-box" is incorrect; some were (well used?) dealers' demonstration models, but the majority were birders' bins which had been in use for months.

Gosh, my wife and I have been lucky with our three pairs of Nikons; still smooth in cold weather - the bins, not my wife.

I started my search for new bins with an open mind and was wowed by the optical quality of the Swavovski SV 8x32, but not impressed with the focusing wheel on several examples that I tried. That was my personal experience. As you say, fortunately there are alternatives.

PS We call it winter too.

Last edited:
Best focus action I`v ever tried is on my Viking MD 6.5x32.

Flawlessly smooth and perfectly weighted, better even than my Hgl Nikon or Victory Fl.

...Nikon's, for example, are smooth (plenty of lube inside) until global cooling occurs (aka winter)...

For the record, in my experience, Nikon uses high quality lubricants in its premium roofs that do not stiffen appreciably even at quite cold temps (like, in my experience, -20 F). Unfortunately, the same is not true of their porros, even the premium ones like the SE and EII.

I get along fine with the typically sticky focus of Leica, and I'm not bothered by the tendency of Swarovski bins to be gritty and to be easier to turn one way vs the other, but those qualities are disturbing to some users, especially those who like to use their fingertips (rather than pads, or opposing 2 fingers) to turn the knob.

--AP

Best focus action I`v ever tried is on my Viking MD 6.5x32.

Flawlessly smooth and perfectly weighted, better even than my Hgl Nikon or Victory Fl.

Good to agree with some-one! The Viking MD 6.5x32s are fantastic value for money, and with close-focusing down to 1 metre are brilliant for insect-watching.

Got an email from SONA, my binocs have been sent and should be here next Monday. Crossing my fingers that I don't find anything wrong, related or unrelated to the focusing. In the mean time I've been getting reacquainted with my rebuilt SLC 8x30 WB. Excellent view, seem indestructible, and the focus is perfection. What did I need the 10x32 EL SV's for again? Oh yeah, they are 10x...

...I get along fine with the typically sticky focus of Leica, and I'm not bothered by the tendency of Swarovski bins to be gritty and to be easier to turn one way vs the other, but those qualities are disturbing to some users, especially those who like to use their fingertips (rather than pads, or opposing 2 fingers) to turn the knob.

--AP

I think this is important. The cause of the different view on focusers is probably the focusing technique.

Chosun:

It seems you have not owned or used a Swarovski binocular much, as far as I
can tell, but like to offer an expert opinion.

However, I think you have mislabeled your picture, I am thinking it is
closer to the "insides" of your brain. :gh:

Jerry

Jerry - are you stalking me? - it seems that you follow me around like the bad smell from stepping in something unwanted; and apart from commenting on my posts, you have exactly *not much at all* to say of any real value. Lighten up. You always include in your posts, the quaint little phrase "I am thinking" ..... Once again, in your own inimitable style - you are holding up traffic |=o| ..... step on it !!

At over two grand a pop, I can guarantee you that I have never owned a Swaro .... not that I wouldn't spend that on a bin, I just didn't think they were worth it ..... :scribe:

Played with them many times yes, sometimes for extended outings, others, shop demos - so some well worn examples. Of all those, I have never found the focusers obviously "stiff" as some report, nor overly "gritty" - to me, they just don't feel "nice", and they definitely don't feel like the ask - a shame really .....

There's an ignore button around here somewhere - suggest you use it - or do you really get your jollys from driving slow in the ultra fast lane. :smoke:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis Powell View Post
...I get along fine with the typically sticky focus of Leica, and I'm not bothered by the tendency of Swarovski bins to be gritty and to be easier to turn one way vs the other, but those qualities are disturbing to some users, especially those who like to use their fingertips (rather than pads, or opposing 2 fingers) to turn the knob.

--AP

I think this is important. The cause of the different view on focusers is probably the focusing technique.

Not meant as an ad hominem, but anyone who has seen photos of Alexis' fingers knows that his finger pads can easily cover the entirety of most focusers! If had finger pads that LARGE, I may not be bothered by focuser issues either. So let's add another factor to the mix - finger size.

As to technique, that might well be true since mooreorless doesn't find the harder to turn in one direction focuser on his otherwise excellent 8x30 SLCneu bothersome, and he turns the focuser with his ring finger, because the focuser is on the objective end of the bridge. He uses the SLC mainly for hunting, so he's not focusing very often or very close. So it's a combo of focusing technique and focusing distance that makes the difference on how we perceive the focuser resistance differently, and the fact that I'm just more picky when it comes to optics.

From others who have posted about Swaro focusers, it seems the harder to turn in one direction characteristic is not a issue for many of them. Technique/focus distance may play a role there as well.

Then there's still that small but stubborn and vociferous contingent who deny that there are any issues with Swaro focsuers at all, they are just figments of our imaginations. From a plethora of reports on Swaro focus issues on these forums, and negative reactions to the deniers posts of late, I think the Defenders of Absam should disband, because nobody believes them anymore.

The point I cannot concede on, however, is that a "gritty" focuser is acceptable on a bin costing $2K even if Alexis and some others are not bothered by it. A focuser should turn smoothly on an alpha even if there's slightly more resistance one way than the other. In Leica's case, they designed the focuser to turn stiff purposely so it will not slow down in cold weather. Either you can accept that as a trade-off or your can't. I've read that Leica added a plastic collar to the HD version's focuser so it turns a bit smoother, but I haven't tried one, so I can't say, but I have read reviewers comment on that.

But with the Swaros, does the "gritty" focuser or harder to turn in one direction help it not slow down in the winter? If so, they have never advertized it the way Leica has. Besides, how many birders are out in subzero weather and how many hunters carry Leicas? Seems overkill if we are to believe Jan and others who have stated emphatically that Swaros, not Lieca, not Zeiss, not Nikon, not queen, not duke, not prince, are the darlings of the hunting community in the U.S. and Europe.

I only point this out, because of the title and subject of this thread, otherwise, it's pretty much a lost cause since it's obvious that Swarovski has no intention of addressing these focuser issues, which have been present for over a decade, maybe longer. If they want all the quarters in my pig's feet jars, they will have to address the focuser issue, because a smooth focuser is near the top of my "must have" list for bins.

<B>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis Powell View Post

--AP

Not meant as an ad hominem, but anyone who has seen photos of Alexis' fingers knows that his finger pads can easily cover the entirety of most focusers! If had finger pads that LARGE, I may not be bothered by focuser issues either. So let's add another factor to the mix - finger size.

As to technique, that might well be true since mooreorless doesn't find the harder to turn in one direction focuser on his otherwise excellent 8x30 SLCneu bothersome, and he turns the focuser with his ring finger, because the focuser is on the objective end of the bridge. He uses the SLC mainly for hunting, so he's not focusing very often or very close. So it's a combo of focusing technique and focusing distance that makes the difference on how we perceive the focuser resistance differently, and the fact that I'm just more picky when it comes to optics.

From others who have posted about Swaro focusers, it seems the harder to turn in one direction characteristic is not a issue for many of them. Technique/focus distance may play a role there as well.

Then there's still that small but stubborn and vociferous contingent who deny that there are any issues with Swaro focsuers at all, they are just figments of our imaginations. From a plethora of reports on Swaro focus issues on these forums, and negative reactions to the deniers posts of late, I think the Defenders of Absam should disband, because nobody believes them anymore.

The point I cannot concede on, however, is that a "gritty" focuser is acceptable on a bin costing $2K even if Alexis and some others are not bothered by it. A focuser should turn smoothly on an alpha even if there's slightly more resistance one way than the other. In Leica's case, they designed the focuser to turn stiff purposely so it will not slow down in cold weather. Either you can accept that as a trade-off or your can't. I've read that Leica added a plastic collar to the HD version's focuser so it turns a bit smoother, but I haven't tried one, so I can't say, but I have read reviewers comment on that.

But with the Swaros, does the "gritty" focuser or harder to turn in one direction help it not slow down in the winter? If so, they have never advertized it the way Leica has. Besides, how many birders are out in subzero weather and how many hunters carry Leicas? Seems overkill if we are to believe Jan and others who have stated emphatically that Swaros, not Lieca, not Zeiss, not Nikon, not queen, not duke, not prince, are the darlings of the hunting community in the U.S. and Europe.

I only point this out, because of the title and subject of this thread, otherwise, it's pretty much a lost cause since it's obvious that Swarovski has no intention of addressing these focuser issues, which have been present for over a decade, maybe longer. If they want all the quarters in my pig's feet jars, they will have to address the focuser issue, because a smooth focuser is near the top of my "must have" list for bins.

<B>
Try using/owning a few models before speaking so much. The Leica Ultravid focuser was/is tougher, scratchier, grittier than any Swarovision. I own both. The Swarovsion focus works just fine in all sorts of weather and the incessant din to the contrary is quite boorish.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back