• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SV focusing wheel Q's (1 Viewer)

barshnik

John F
I know there has been much talk about focusing feel being a bit wanky on the SV's (mine are the 10x32 SV tan), I purchased mine a bit over a year ago. It is not horrible, just a bit stiffer in one direction than the other, and not totally smooth.

Has anyone sent their's in for repair, and to what result? Since it is livable, just a tiny bit annoying, I'm not sure it is worth getting them worked on. They were horribly expensive of course, and I'd like them to be as smooth as my other binocs. What do you think?

John F
LV NV

Definitely send it back for repair.

My brother had a similar situation with his 12X50 SV and sent it back. It still is not perfect, but it is much better than what it was and is acceptable. They were able to get rid of most the gritty feeling and the tension between directions is now closer.

Based on my talk with the Swaro Rep at the Tucson show, I think they actually expect to get them back from those folks that care about the focus feel.

Be sure and include a detailed note of exactly what you expect of the focus mechanism and they will they to customize to your desires.

Let us know how it works out.

I had similar problems with my 10x32 EL SVs, and sent them back. They improved the focus a lot and I've been happy with it ever since. By all means get them fixed.

No Swaro fan is going to like this... but it is probably time to sell them and go with something else. What you describe is totally unacceptable for a $2K+ binocular... unless it has been abused.

Having to go out of pocket to ship for warranty doesn't seem fair either.

My .02,

CG

I notice that you guys have only been members here on Bird Forum for about a year or so.

FYI this discussion of the Swarovski Focus Wheel issues has been going on (and off again and on again) for years on Bird Forum and Swarovski has kept on fixing them to suit the purchaser.

Bob

Having to go out of pocket to ship for warranty doesn't seem fair either.

My .02,

CG

Actually, Swarovski supplied a prepaid UPS shipping label, so there was no out of pocket expense.

I notice that you guys have only been members here on Bird Forum for about a year or so.

FYI this discussion of the Swarovski Focus Wheel issues has been going on (and off again and on again) for years on Bird Forum and Swarovski has kept on fixing them to suit the purchaser.

Bob

Being a member a day or a decade I think responses in posts 2 and 3 would be the same.

Actually, Swarovski supplied a prepaid UPS shipping label, so there was no out of pocket expense.

Being a member a day or a decade I think responses in posts 2 and 3 would be the same.

You are right.

The question has always been "Why hasn't Swarovski changed the "feeling" of the focus wheel?"

Nobody seems to know.

My 7 x 42 SLC B has that "gritty, fast one way-slower the other" feeling. My 8 x 30 SLC doesn't but it is a different focuser located on the front of the hinge with the diopter adjustment on the back of the hinge. And my 8 x 30 CL is pleasantly smooth in both directions with the diopter adjustment on the right ocular.

Maybe it has something to do with the integration of the focus wheel with the diopter adjustment?

Bob

Ok, can't think of a good reason now to NOT send them back for a fix. I'm not about to ditch them for something else because of the lack of perfection of focusing feel. So, back to Swaro they go - anyone know if the adjustment was done in country or were they sent back to Austria? Thanks for the help, I'll keep you informed as to how it progresses.

John F
LV NV

I know there has been much talk about focusing feel being a bit wanky on the SV's (mine are the 10x32 SV tan), I purchased mine a bit over a year ago. It is not horrible, just a bit stiffer in one direction than the other, and not totally smooth.

Has anyone sent their's in for repair, and to what result? Since it is livable, just a tiny bit annoying, I'm not sure it is worth getting them worked on. They were horribly expensive of course, and I'd like them to be as smooth as my other binocs. What do you think?

John F
LV NV

Hi John,
the easiest way to make a smooth focussing mechanism is to use more/other fats - this is typically the great "secret" behind other binoculars. These have the (for us) major disadvantage of being sensitive to temperature changes: freezing up in cold temperatures and potentially leaking fat on to the lenses in extreme heat.
Our focussing mechanism was designed with finely lathed metal elements moving very tightly against each other with an absolute minimum of lubricants. This brings major advantages to our customers using their bins under the extremest of conditions, with a potential and unfortunate "cosmetic" disadvantage at room temperature.

Having said all that, if this bothers you, please feel free to send in your binoculars with a description of your concerns and our service department can apply a small amount more lubricant to the system.

Kind regards,
Dale

I wonder why Swaro can't seem to get the focus wheels right?
My CL hits a subtle speedbump when focusing...I think some people describe this type of focus as 'notchy'.

Our focussing mechanism was designed with finely lathed metal elements moving very tightly against each other with an absolute minimum of lubricants. This brings major advantages to our customers using their bins under the extremest of conditions, with a potential and unfortunate "cosmetic" disadvantage at room temperature.

Kind regards,
Dale

I didn't see this post before posting my last comment.
Thanks for the explanation Dale. It's nice to know it will be able
to take our cold winters and hot summers here in NJ. :)

Dale

Dale

I appreciate that almost all elements of binocular design end up as a compromise between conflicting requirements.

But its a little disingenuous to refer to capabilities at temperature extremes as 'major' (although to some users they could be) and then dismiss the consequent feel of the focus mechanism at normal temperatures as 'cosmetic'. Normal temperatures are what most people experience most of the time.

I'm not saying that Swaro has got this wrong although enough people comment on the feel of Swaro focusers for you to know that of all the good reasons to love Swaro bins, and there are many, the feel and texture of the focuser is not one of them.

I recently tried out EL SVs and new SLCs at the British Bird Fair and found the focusers to have a better feel than I remember from previous experiences of Swaros.

Lee

Hi John,
the easiest way to make a smooth focussing mechanism is to use more/other fats - this is typically the great "secret" behind other binoculars. These have the (for us) major disadvantage of being sensitive to temperature changes: freezing up in cold temperatures and potentially leaking fat on to the lenses in extreme heat.

Having said all that, if this bothers you, please feel free to send in your binoculars with a description of your concerns and our service department can apply a small amount more lubricant to the system.

Kind regards,
Dale

Other manufacturers can make a smooth focus that also works just as well as a Swaro. [or better] in hot / cold conditions - all without using too much ''fat.''
There is thread here on this very subject.

Last edited:
....................... So, back to Swaro they go - anyone know if the adjustment was done in country or were they sent back to Austria? Thanks for the help, I'll keep you informed as to how it progresses.

John F
LV NV

When my brother sent his in, he was told that the focus repairs are all done in the US. He called a few weeks later to check on the status and was told they were sent back to the motherland! He then called a few weeks later and was told, umm, we will get back to you, they could not find them. He then heard a few days later they were repaired are ready to ship. When asked where they were repaired, he was told in the US, and the guy was surprised someone told him they would be sent back to Austria.

It looks like his fell through the cracks for a couple of weeks, but all turned out well. As I recall, it took just over seven weeks (with shipping). I think it would have been about four or five weeks if everything went normally.

My guess is yours will be repaired in the US. Be sure and enclose detailed note of exactly what you want, especially tenision/shiftness. Also give them a call every couple of weeks to check on the status.

Hi John,

Kind regards,
Dale

Thanks Dale,

The customer service person I talked to (before being transferred to the repair dept.) explained exactly that - it was difficult for me to buy that explanation. Do no other binocular manufacturers use metal parts in the focusing mechanism? I purchased my 10x32 T SV's from Optics Planet, and sent back my first binos for another one, which was slightly better. Finally, though, after a year of not being totally happy, I decided that it should be easier to focus.

The difference in turning pressure required from one direction to the other doesn't bother me, and I assume that is a result of the internal design. The fact that turning in either direction results in a feeling of 'stickyness' or being 'notchy', though, directly affects ones ability to focus accurately and quickly. I'd much rather have the turning resistance vary with temperature as long as it is smooth, if that is what is required. At any rate, it is always hot here in the desert.

One small item, having to pay for shipping to SONA came as a bit of a surprise and disappointment on such costly glasses. I can live with it, though, as long as I'm happy with the glasses when this is over. They are on their way to RI.

I do appreciate your response a great deal, it make me feel that Swarovski cares a bit. Thanks,

John F
LV NV

Last edited:
One small item, having to pay for shipping to SONA came as a bit of a surprise and disappointment on such costly glasses. I can live with it, though, as long as I'm happy with the glasses when this is over. They are on their way to RI.

I bought mine brand-new and yet also had to pay for shipping to SONA in RI to get the focus fixed. It was about 3 weeks to get it done. I complained about both my time and money spent and eventually someone from Swarovski did get in touch with me (several months later) and refunded my shipping charges. So, the squeaky wheel gets the grease, both literally and figuratively...

Other manufacturers can make a smooth focus that also works just as well as a Swaro. [or better] in hot / cold conditions - all without using too much ''fat.''
There is thread here on this very subject.
Leica's stick much worse than Swarovski's. But, like the man said, they work perfectly in all temps.

I bought mine brand-new and yet also had to pay for shipping to SONA in RI to get the focus fixed. It was about 3 weeks to get it done. I complained about both my time and money spent and eventually someone from Swarovski did get in touch with me (several months later) and refunded my shipping charges. So, the squeaky wheel gets the grease, both literally and figuratively...

So, how much does $2200 worth of insurance cost? And, who do you ship with?

Last time I was at FedEx/Kinkos, I overheard the clerk telling the person in front of me that you can declare a package value up to $1000, and if it is more you need to use private insurance.

CG

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back