• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

NL Focus Wheel Problems After Washing (2 Viewers)

quincy88

I always thought that soap and brush that came with the NLs was a bit of a silly gimmick. But, when in Ecuador a couple months ago I transferred some sun screen from my hands to my binoculars. I figured it would wear off eventually, but it hasn't. So, why not try out the soap and brush? Clean those babies up. The cleaning went fine. The soap is mild and the brush is pretty soft. I used room temperature water and gave them a wash and a rinse and a wash and a rinse. The whole thing took about 5 minutes. Then I shook them and put them on a towel to dry.
When I used them later that day (this was a couple of days ago) the focus wheel felt totally different. It is much stiffer now. A lot of friction. It also makes noise when I turn it. They are pretty much unusable at this point. I reported this to Swarovski North America, and they asked me to send them in, and told me that it would be a quick turn around. They said specifically that they would prioritize this because it happened while doing a cleaning with the included supplies. I'll let you know what happens.

I always thought that soap and brush that came with the NLs was a bit of a silly gimmick. But, when in Ecuador a couple months ago I transferred some sun screen from my hands to my binoculars. I figured it would wear off eventually, but it hasn't. So, why not try out the soap and brush? Clean those babies up. The cleaning went fine. The soap is mild and the brush is pretty soft. I used room temperature water and gave them a wash and a rinse and a wash and a rinse. The whole thing took about 5 minutes. Then I shook them and put them on a towel to dry.
When I used them later that day (this was a couple of days ago) the focus wheel felt totally different. It is much stiffer now. A lot of friction. It also makes noise when I turn it. They are pretty much unusable at this point. I reported this to Swarovski North America, and they asked me to send them in, and told me that it would be a quick turn around. They said specifically that they would prioritize this because it happened while doing a cleaning with the included supplies. I'll let you know what happens.
There have been previous reports on the BF about exactly the same problem: frozen focus wheel after a wash. SONA was so prompt to reply because I am sure they are aware of the fact that this is a design problem.

There have been previous reports on the BF about exactly the same problem: frozen focus wheel after a wash. SONA was so prompt to reply because I am sure they are aware of the fact that this is a design problem.
I missed those posts about this. I was excited about getting them all cleaned up for spring migration. All the more disappointing that they need to be serviced right now.
None too impressed with Swarovski right now. "Here's a bar of soap to wash your $3k binoculars. Oops, now they're broken."

I hear you, and hope you will get your Swaro's back good as new. I know you will. Their customer service has been nothing but professional to me.
I don't want to sound sarcastic ... But this seems me to be a construction problem. Would that necessarily be solved by customer service?

Incidents such as this, and it's not been the only one over the past decade or so, seem me to indicate that even the alpha makers aren't quite what they used to be in the past. Think Nikon or Zeiss ...

Hermann

And the pile on continues......
Hey dries1. I'm not trying to pile on to anything. Just reporting my experience.
My NLs seem to be doing a bit better after a couple of days. I'm not entirely sure what to think. Perhaps they weren't fully dry at the time that I was using them, and that was causing some weirdness. I don't know. I have been chatting with a rep from Swarovski about what to do.

Quincy I am not referring to you at all, and understand the frustration - I own an NL myself. I was referring to the blue shield fans.

Quincy I am not referring to you at all, and understand the frustration - I own an NL myself. I was referring to the blue shield fans.
It’s like I’m not allowed (by you) to ever have anything negative to say about Swarovski, despite the many negative things I’ve had to say about a broad range of Zeiss products. You selectively cherry pick my remarks and then simply put them down to ”blue shield fans”.

Problems with EL and SV focus mechanisms are very well documented and valid, just as crap Conquest eyecups are…do a search and you can read about my experiences with them.

As you no doubt missed it, I did relate my brief NL experience, and opined they were probably the best binocular I have used.

Satisfied?

Last edited:
Sorry James for the piling on as you have been critical of Zeiss, however the Swarovski focus issues in the NL are IMO overblown, as are the focus issues of the SV (I own 4 of them and they work just fine). I will say the SLC 42s focus is below par and plead ignorance on the original WB series since I never owned one, I never used one long enough to say anything specific regarding the focus.
You should give Leica or even Nikon a try, you might like them.

my NL32 came back from SONA must faster than anticipated after sending in for a 'gritty' focus feel due to rinsing wind blown desert grit out of the ocular area, seems the grit got into the focus wheel with the rinsing. the serviced item returned with clean glass and a very smooth focus mechanism, such a pleasure to use.

I had to send in my three weeks old NL 8x42 after a wash as well. Focusser completely stuck. Received them back in perfect condition. Don't dare to put them under water again :-(

Try to brush (do NOT use canned air) of any loose dirt/sand before if rinsing with water. Personally I use a damp cloth for cleaning instead. First round soaked in soap water. Next round, cloth with water only, and last a dry cloth. Rinsing in water should be for extreme events if the bins are very dirty.

Just wondering if it's dirt or water that is retained that makes the focuser stick.

agree, no rinsing except extreme event. in my case i strongly suspect 'grit' was washed into the small space between the front hinge and the front of the focus cylinder. this is a small space i can slip a piece of paper thru, or see light thru
i don't think any 'sealing' occurred. for me this small problem is user error in the use of the instrument. i can avoid the environmental conditions. should it happen again, there is always SONA to bail me out.

Honestly I find this somewhat amusing. As a retrovid fanboy I see criticisms that you can’t dunk them. But $3k armored alphas are only damp rag-proof? Whaaat?

I know I’m exaggerating but it does put the whole my-bino-is-better-than-yours thing in a new perspective!

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back