• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swaro's SLC 10x42 WB looking for advise (1 Viewer)

tazzilla

Ok I have a serious optics itch. I keep looking a more and more new glass all the time. I have first class taste on a grey hound budget. I found a used pair of Swaro's SLC 10x42 WB and am really clueless as to how good these are and what to look at when checking them out. They are the green body style and are from around 2006 or so. Any advice and info about them would be really really great. Thanks Taz.

I haven't used it personally, so I can't tell you any particulars. But just be aware there is an older and newer model with this name. I don't know what year the change came. The new model is officially called the "SLC neu" but a lot of times people leave that out, and you're left wondering which it is.

The way to tell the difference is, the older model is a dull drab green, and the armored coating extends right up to the hinge. The newer model is a darker forest green, and the area near the hinge is bare of armor, showing exposed black metal.

The reason I'd look for the newer model is, it has better coatings, especially the "Swarobright" or dielectric prism coating, for noticeably higher light transmission. Also it will have the "Swarotop" or water shedding and easy cleaning coating. What I really like about that is not so much its advertised advantage, as the fact that it is more resistant to eyelens fogging in cold or damp conditions.

Otherwise I don't think the glass design or mechanics are appreciably different.

I'll let other people tell you how good it is, what else you should consider, etc. But from what little I know, I'd be proud to have one myself!
Ron

Taz,

The 10x42SLC is a very fine instrument that has received high praises for birding. It's also a favorite in the hunting community and retains its value well.

Swarovski improved all SLCs models with SWAROBRIGHT prism coatings a year to two before they re-armored and called them SLC "Neu," but the earlier ones are optically identical. Otherwise, what Ron said is correct.

I used mine for shore birding several years, but now that I must use glasses the eye relief of 14mm has proven to be a inadequate. Were it not for that I wouldn't be replacing them.

Used prices on eBay appear to range from $800 to $1200. It's a good, top quality, glass.

Ed

Is there away to tell what year they are produced by model # I am looking at a pawn shop and its more than I really want to spend but I also want a really nice pair of glasses. Thanks for all the input.

Add 30 to the 1st two numbers of the SN for the year it was made. Be sure you try it out good before you buy it.

Last edited:
Ok I have a serious optics itch. I keep looking a more and more new glass all the time. I have first class taste on a grey hound budget. I found a used pair of Swaro's SLC 10x42 WB and am really clueless as to how good these are and what to look at when checking them out. They are the green body style and are from around 2006 or so. Any advice and info about them would be really really great. Thanks Taz.

Tazz:

The later model SLC's are very good, and especially the SLC NEU, and the 2006
may be one. They have the black area where your fingers would be placed.

Check out the Allbinos reviews on the 10x42's, the SLC Neu is # 5, and places
ahead of Leicas best and many others.
The later models have the best coatings, and if you can get a nice price on these, I would go for it.
The Swarovski warranty is very good and they will take care of you, even if you purchase a preowned.

Jerry

Well I looked at them today priced at $899 and won't take a dime less. I looked at the SN it is D66041096 but can't find any info and really not positive how to tell the year they were made. Glass was very clear and bright non adjustable eye cups and missing cover for tripod adaptor and no other original stuff comes with them. Guy at the pawn shop just keeps saying if there is a problem they are covered by Swaro and what does the age matter. I want quality optics and thats a lot of money to fork out. I keep lookin at the cabelas Euro HD for $1000 and wonder if I am better waiting for those to go on sale and use a coupon or get the Swaro's I just picked up a nice set of B&L 7x42 discoverer that are trully very nice they are not clear edge to edge but they are very bright and clear and only set me back $110.00 I just keep wanting something top notch and don't know if its worth spending 10x that for a top quality set up. I must say I am really impressed with the B&L and was shocked as to how well they really are nice glass does come from japan. How much better is the Euro glass really? I am a novice birder and not a hunter at all. I will use them on my boat and out in the field for wild life viewing so I don't think low light is a main concern for me. Input would be great.

Tazz:

Those seem to priced plenty high for the age, so I would keep looking. The newer ones
would be worth the extra. You have time to check others out, and it is you that needs
to make the decision, on what is right for your eyes.
Have fun.

Jerry

What should these be worth? I can get a older pair of Swarovski 10x50 SL Habicht proor prism binoculars for $600 local. I am so confused when it comes to these optics. What is the main differance between a $500 pair and a $1000 pair and will a normal user even be rewarded spending more?

As Jerry says, $900.00 is too much to pay for that 16 year old Swarovski. They have been considerably improved with new coatings since 1996. You can buy a new one on sale for only $500.00 more here:http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/swarovski/swarovski-slcnew-10x42-wb-binocular

And you can get a new (but discontinued) Zeiss 10 x 40 Conquest for $699.00. A very good buy. Optically it would be better than the one the Pawn Shop has for sale.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/zeiss.pl?page=524510

Bob

Last edited:
tazilla,
If the one you're considering is the older style, with drab color with armor right up to the hinge, don't pay it.

But, if it looks like the one in cesar's first link, with the shiny black metal near the hinge, I really don't think $900 is such a bad price, if it is in good shape.

Only you can say if it is worth it to you or not. But I think as far as its quality and your pleasure in using it, you would have no regrets. Swaro makes really great and beautiful stuff. Nothing out there is going to beat it much, it will hold its value well, and Swaro will fix it free in about a week in the unlikely event that anything ever goes wrong with it.
Ron

newest are "HD"

The newest model is the SLC 10x42 HD and run about $2100.00. Ceasar's link is for the last generation but that is a really nice price, has all the coatings, and if it's within budget you'll really like it.

Did the old (circa 1996) SLCs have non-adjustable eye cups? Didn't I see something in Swarovski's literature where they will replace these with the twist up type free? It might be worth looking into. Should be no problem getting a cover for the tripod adapter threads.

Bob

Last edited:
Taz,

Not long ago I had several binoculars up for sale including the 10x42 SLC I mentioned in post #3. It's still available if you wish. Look at this site: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=221161

Also, I'm posting two pictures below. This one is about as good as they get, and I'm including several accessories.

Send me a personal message (PM) if you're interested.

Ed

Attachments

• P1020114.jpg
    P1020114.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 787
  • P1020116.jpg
    P1020116.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 502
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back