• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski 10x40 Tirol (1 Viewer)

Ronmag

United States
These were left to me by a dear friend that passed recently and I don’t know any thing, about how old they are, are they valuable I already have some that I love so I’m not sure what to do if they are valuable I would want to put them away or maybe sell them not sure if not I could give them to my grandchildren to see if I could get them into birding
Thank you for any insight
E962F1D6-A507-4E98-9E15-9DF6973FF962.jpeg9B898F8D-F889-48CE-B489-0B0024037AB4.jpeg

Hi Ron,

Swarovski has been making this style of binocular continuously since 1948!
Though with various updates to the lens coatings, and making later production waterproof.
In all there’s been around 3/4 million of the various models made over the 75 years!
(see posts #4 and 5 at: Changes to 7x42 Traditional / Habicht Porro )

Yours is the IF RA version:
IF indicates individual focus eyepieces (as opposed to CF/ centre focus, where both eyepieces are focused by a central wheel).
And RA indicates the rubber armoured covering, as opposed to the alternative leatherette one.

In 1984 the design was modified to make it waterproof, and it can be easily distinguished by the valve cap screws on the front bridge arms.
Interestingly, the earliest production had the same narrow arms as the previous version, which yours has.
So it can be precisely dated to 1984:

1984 Production.jpg

Yours has the dual layer lens coating typical to Swarovski's of the era, which makes for an adequately bright image
though with a yellow tint under normal viewing conditions. However, as light levels decrease, the yellowness ceases to be noticeable.
Understandably, later models have improved coatings that give a brighter and more neutral image.

Generally for birding a CF model is preferred, as it gives the ability to rapidly refocus to different distances.
And many find 10x too powerful for easy steady use, preferring 8x.
. . . But as with most things, individual preferences may vary considerably.

John

Last edited:
Hi Ron,

Though with various updates to the lens coatings, and making later production waterproof.
In all there’s been around 3/4 million of the various models made over the 75 years!

IF indicates individual focus eyepieces (as opposed to CF/ centre focus, where both eyepieces are focused by a central wheel).
And RA indicates the rubber armoured covering, as opposed to the alternative leatherette one.

In 1984 the design was modified to make it waterproof, and it can be easily distinguished by the valve cap screws on the front bridge arms.
Interestingly, the earliest production had the same narrow arms as the previous version, which yours has.

View attachment 1516260

Yours has the dual layer lens coating typical to Swarovski's of the era, which makes for an adequately bright image
though with a yellow tint under normal viewing conditions. However, as light levels decrease, the yellowness ceases to be noticeable.
Understandably, later models have improved coatings that give a brighter and more neutral image.

Generally for birding a CF model is preferred, as it gives the ability to rapidly refocus to different distances.

John
Thank you so much for the great info what do you think they are worth, don't want to give the grandkids something they might not take care of

Hi again Ron,

In some ways it’s hard to say, since as there is always a variety of models for sale on-line, it really is a buyers market.

In terms of asking prices:
Much earlier CF leatherette units in obviously used to poor condition, are typically listed at a minimum of around US $200
(the RA option was only progressively introduced from 1971).
And anything reasonable looking is often $300 or more.

So in terms of deciding whether to give them to the grandkids, they are not without value,
and not the equivalent of a cheap disposable binocular from a toy shop.

John

Hi again Ron,

In some ways it’s hard to say, since as there is always a variety of models for sale on-line, it really is a buyers market.

In terms of asking prices:
Much earlier CF leatherette units in obviously used to poor condition, are typically listed at a minimum of around US $200
(the RA option was only progressively introduced from 1971).
And anything reasonable looking is often $300 or more.

So in terms of deciding whether to give them to the grandkids, they are not without value,
and not the equivalent of a cheap disposable binocular from a toy shop.

John
Thank you again yes I guess I'll just put them away maybe use once in awhile for sentimental reasons

Thank you so much for the great info what do you think they are worth, don't want to give the grandkids something they might not take care of
It's quite robust, but the real problem is that it would frustrate them. 10x requires frequent refocusing for purposes like birding, so IF would be no fun at all, even for me. Search sites like eBay to get a sense of current value, bearing in mind that some people ask too much.

Hi Ron,

View attachment 1516260

John

John, thanks for the information, this Habicht is the GA version, "gummi armor".
As far as a value, it depends on condition, scratches on lenses, etc. Swarovski should still
offer warranty service on this one.
I think the value would be anywhere from $400 - 600, depending on condition.
Jerry

John, thanks for the information, this Habicht is the GA version, "gummi armor".
As far as a value, it depends on condition, scratches on lenses, etc. Swarovski should still
offer warranty service on this one.
I think the value would be anywhere from $400 - 600, depending on condition.good onfo they are in very good conditino
Jerry
Thank you
good info they are in very good condition

Users who are viewing this thread

Back