• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski eye candy... (3 Viewers)

I did have that UVHD+ but let it go; we still have the earlier BN, and now also FL because sometimes my wife and I both want a 32. (FL is a bit brighter, quite special in its own way, and fits my hands better than the tiny UV.)
Nice little gems. I can imagine I want to add a FL 8x32 or UHVD+ 8x32 one day, as my NL 10x32 is still quite large/heavy for a 32.

I am not interested in astronomy. I am interested in other animals but birds. So watching deer during the rutting season or elk/moose while on holiday, is also what I like to day. The question I am asking myself is: will I use the EL 10x50 or the EL 12x50 for that purposes?
12x50, definitely. When you want a significantly broader view, take the 8x42.

How do you support it in the field?

How do you support it in the field?

Peak design carbon travel tripod, very lightweight and staple. Packs away to the size of a water bottle. I highly recommend.

Peak design carbon travel tripod, very lightweight and staple. Packs away to the size of a water bottle. I highly recommend.

Also made for tall persons? I have a manfrotto tripod, but actually think it is a bit too short for me (not comfortable for the back.) I am 1.93m (so about 6.33 feet)

I did have that UVHD+ but let it go; we still have the earlier BN, and now also FL because sometimes my wife and I both want a 32. (FL is a bit brighter, quite special in its own way, and fits my hands better than the tiny UV.)

Yes... it would make even more sense to keep all the 10s, if we had darker skies and used the 10x56 more for astronomy. This could be a factor for you too.
All those 32s are 10x32? Do you have 8 powers as well? Or only this Nikon EII?

When comparing the SLC 8x42 with the SLC 10x42 I see why I liked the SLC 42 that much. The 8x42 is just a bit brighter + larger FOV/DOF and all that makes it really comfortable to use. Even more than the SLC 10x42.
I am not a 10 power person, but for me it is hard to let go the SLC 8x42, because I see the virtue of 8 power now.

I decided to keep the SLC 8x42, NL 10x32 and the EL 12x50. I love these the most and having these three is the most versatile (8x, 10x, 12x and exit pupil of 3.2mm, 4.2mm and 5.25)

I really like the EL 12x50. If I knew that before, I would have bought one way earlier. I think I was always a bit scared of 12 power and 50mm, but they fit me perfectly. I can hold them stable, I like the size in my hands and everything is 12 times closer!

The SLC 8x42 is the brightest of the three. I do not really like the focuser (it's fine but the ELs and the NLs is better) and because 8x42 is brighter, I decided to keep the SLC 8x42 and to sell the SLC 10x42. With 8 power there is less need to focus. I compared the SLC 10x42 with the NL 10x32 in dim light and the difference wasn't huge. So having 8x42 + 10x32 makes more sense than having 10x42 and 10x32, especially when there isn't a lot of difference in weight between the last two.
So the SLC 8x42 will be my dim light / forest bins. (Although the EL 12x50 is also really good in dim light at open areas)

The NL 10x32 is my birding bin when I do not what to carry 1 kg. For instance when I am hiking or on the bycycle (that's what we do a lot in The Netherlands) or carrying the ATC 56 with me as well.

Having:
12x50 EL
10x32 NL
8x42 SCL

Will be added in the future:
7x21 Curio
8x30 or 10x40 habicht

In the picture SLC 15x56, SLC 8x42, at home 7x32
7x32? You mean 7x30?

SLC 15x56 was a real temptation for me, but I decided to go for the EL 12x50 and the ATC 56 (I do not really like scopes, so this is my only and will be my only scope. I like using two eyes and don't want to carry tripods with me... But sometimes I just need/want that 17-40 magnification)

You've got quite a complete set, I can only encourage the curio, is always by my side, addictive. May I ask you what made you decide for the NL 10x32 and not the 8?
About the big magnification, I enjoy the 15x56 mostly with a monopod and a pistol head, but it can be used handheld only for shorter views. About the EL it's a well rounded bino, but it overlaps it competence with the 15x56.
Get the Curio. ;)

May I ask you what made you decide for the NL 10x32 and not the 8?
I really like 10 power. The SLC 8x42 was quite an impulsive buy, but in the end I like it a lot. I prefer the SLC 8x42 when it is getting dark, but on nearly all other occasions I prefer the NL 10x32. I mostly bird when it is light and mostly sunny (spring is my season and than it is getting light at 5 or 6 O' clock in the morning.)
I bought the SLC 10x42 secondhand recently to replace the SLC 8x42, but decided to sell the 10x42 and keep the 8x42 for the reasons mentioned above.
Get the Curio. ;)
Well, I always have the hunger for higher magnifications, so I am still doubting not to get the CL 8x25 or Leica Trinovod/Ultravid 8x20 instead.......

@ReinierB You have an almost complete set of all excellent optics. I also think adding a curio makes much more sense than adding a Habicht.

I am also a person who loves high powers. I always feel like something is missing when use NL 8x42, and of course it is the magnification. However, with the Curio it is not the case. Surprisingly with Curio I don’t get that feeling of missing magnification. I think it is basically because of the less FOV of it, that causes the object we are looking to fill a higher percentage of FOV. And of course the extra stability of 7 power. Moreover, I believe Curio is extra sharp and contrasty compared to the NL 8x42. However, I didn’t compare it with any other high-end pocket binoculars but I am perfectly satisfied with Curios.

On the other hand I had a different experience with Habicht 10x40. I bought them to use in low light conditions where UV 10x32 is too dim to use. And I had some hope to get the advantage of 3D effects that is inherited with porro design. However, I didn’t not see it at all, maybe due to my less trained eyes. Indeed they are bright -I felt it has a similar amount of bitterness compared to NL 8x42- but I failed to harness the advantage of using them as a low light pair of binoculars due to the reflections occurred in using under above mentioned conditions. Again, you might have the same problem or not and that will define by your face shape. As the final word of all, the best thing is try them with yourself. Binoculars disliked by on could be the perfect pair for another person or vice versa.

@ReinierB You have an almost complete set of all excellent optics. I also think adding a curio makes much more sense than adding a Habicht.

I am also a person who loves high powers. I always feel like something is missing when use NL 8x42, and of course it is the magnification. However, with the Curio it is not the case. Surprisingly with Curio I don’t get that feeling of missing magnification. I think it is basically because of the less FOV of it, that causes the object we are looking to fill a higher percentage of FOV. And of course the extra stability of 7 power. Moreover, I believe Curio is extra sharp and contrasty compared to the NL 8x42. However, I didn’t compare it with any other high-end pocket binoculars but I am perfectly satisfied with Curios.

On the other hand I had a different experience with Habicht 10x40. I bought them to use in low light conditions where UV 10x32 is too dim to use. And I had some hope to get the advantage of 3D effects that is inherited with porro design. However, I didn’t not see it at all, maybe due to my less trained eyes. Indeed they are bright -I felt it has a similar amount of bitterness compared to NL 8x42- but I failed to harness the advantage of using them as a low light pair of binoculars due to the reflections occurred in using under above mentioned conditions. Again, you might have the same problem or not and that will define by your face shape. As the final word of all, the best thing is try them with yourself. Binoculars disliked by on could be the perfect pair for another person or vice versa.
Certainly even the best 10x32 is not going to be very good in low light conditions. I’m not sure why you expected the 10x40 Habicht to much brighter , or even as bright as 8x42NL. Exit pupal alone in two of the highest quality optics would dictate the 8x42 to have the advantage. The 3D effect in a porro is much less apparent in higher magnifications imo, and comparing to the NL 8x42 with its more noticeable DOF can nullify that small amount of 3D effect in the porro. The 7x42 Habicht is where the very noticeable brightness difference occurs.

I’m not sure why you expected the 10x40 Habicht to much brighter , or even as bright as 8x42NL.
I think you got me wrong. I am sorry for my bad English. Actually, I felt the Habicht 10x40 is almost as bright as NL 8x42 during daytime observations. The reason it doesn't work for (relatively-) low-light conditions was the reflections occurred in the eyepiece. Otherwise, I didn't have any problem with its' brightness.

The 3D effect in a porro is much less apparent in higher magnifications imo
Somewhere in BF, I read that the distance we see the 3D effect increases with increasing power. However, I can't remember where I saw it. I think different people see 3D effect due to different reasons. However, I was unfortunate to see it in Habicht 10x40.

The 7x42 Habicht is where the very noticeable brightness difference occurs.
I have never tried 7x42 binoculars. Habicht 7x42 is of course in my list.

I think you got me wrong. I am sorry for my bad English. Actually, I felt the Habicht 10x40 is almost as bright as NL 8x42 during daytime observations. The reason it doesn't work for (relatively-) low-light conditions was the reflections occurred in the eyepiece. Otherwise, I didn't have any problem with its' brightness.

Somewhere in BF, I read that the distance we see the 3D effect increases with increasing power. However, I can't remember where I saw it. I think different people see 3D effect due to different reasons. However, I was unfortunate to see it in Habicht 10x40.

I have never tried 7x42 binoculars. Habicht 7x42 is of course in my list.
Your English is fine Viraj, I misunderstood, I got you now 🙏🏼. That 3D effect that people talk about in porros is much more apparent in the older vintage wide angle binos, something to do with barrel separation. There are quite a few discussions on the topic.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back