• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski eye candy... (2 Viewers)

The 3D effect in a porro is much less apparent in higher magnifications imo

Somewhere in BF, I read that the distance we see the 3D effect increases with increasing power. However, I can't remember where I saw it. I think different people see 3D effect due to different reasons.

That would be interesting to know! Which one has the more 3D view? Does it increase or decrease at higher magnifications? I am undecided yet, which one I want: 8x30 or 10x40. The 3D view is one reason I would like to add a porro one day.
I can imagine that the larger the DOF the larger the 3D effect?

I have seen 3D in the old 7x50 of my dad and also in the old 10x50 from kite I still have.
The one time I tried the Habicht 8x30 I saw it just a bit. Less than I expected. Still like the view though!

I honestly can't see 3D in any of my porros, from 7x35 wide angle to 12x50. I've heard it is more apparent at shorter distances, and most of what I'm looking for is quite far off, but even when I've looked at things closer in, I've never felt the sense of "3D" that others describe. I don't doubt they perceive it themselves, but I don't. Funny huh?

I honestly can't see 3D in any of my porros, from 7x35 wide angle to 12x50. I've heard it is more apparent at shorter distances, and most of what I'm looking for is quite far off, but even when I've looked at things closer in, I've never felt the sense of "3D" that others describe. I don't doubt they perceive it themselves, but I don't. Funny huh?
I get the strongest 3D sensation when I'm standing on the shore looking out over water. Somehow it feels like I'm actually standing in the water. Very weird, ultra-realistic feeling. Give it a try!

That cartoon is funny! Maybe Swaro should add the image of a wallet or purse directly below the bird's talons to their logo.....speaking of "realistic"....

View attachment 1525346

EL 10x50, SLC 8x42 and NL Pure 10x32.
I was waiting for chill6x6, but this topic just didn't show up. :)
Besides these swaros I think I will ad an Habicht and a pocket as well in the future. And maybe a SLC 15x56.

I swapped the EL 10x50 for a EL 12x50 and dropped the idea of adding a SLC 15x56 one day (if and only if I will add a 56, it will be the SLC 10x56.)
So now I have 12x, 10x and 8x. Adding a 7x some day would be nice, so I am thinking about the Curio 7x21 or the Habicht 7x42 lately.

The look of those orange NLs is growing on me. I can't quite justify getting an orange 10x32 to go alongside the 12x42, but maybe one day.

You will like the orange and I found the 10x32 really good for tropical forest birding especially with those fast moving Wren-Babblers and Warblers and 12x42 for river cruise and paddy fields etc

JAY_2245 MENANGGUL.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back