• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Price Increase January 1st, 2014 (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This place would be a little too stale without the jokes. It usually cheers me up during
my long work day.

Last edited:
C'mon that don't count. SLC's are not true Swarovski's. They are MADE by Meopta. Everybody knows that.

1st - Absolutly it counts.

2nd - Try telling Elkcub/Ed that the SLC is not a true Swaro.

3rd- Made by Meopta??? I'm thinking one of us over spiked our Christmas Eggnog.

Pomp,

I think it goes much further.
A few weeks ago I sold a SLC to a guy who was in need for a bin to see the UFO's. I thought that when he couldn't see them with a SLC no bin will.
He brought the bin back one week later because he could not discover UFO's with the SLC.(true story)
Now I understand why.
All bins made by Meopta don't show UFO's.
Dennis reveilled the ultimate "Made By" test.

Jan

Of course, he didn't see one! That's because of those stodgy, hard to turn Swaro focusers! As almost everyone knows, UFOs fly very, very fast, and they can turn on dime, so you need a pair of binoculars with a fast and smooth focuser to keep up. You should have given him the right tool for the job - a Zeiss FL or Nikon EDG - ah, but I forgot, you don't sell those!

Here's a video of a UFO flyby to give you an idea of their speed. A Swaro focuser wouldn't stand a chance.

Fast UFO filmed flying past airplane

Brock Lumpkin, president, UFOs-Я-Us

Last edited:
Of course, he didn't see one! That's because of those stodgy, hard to turn Swaro focusers! As almost everyone knows, UFOs fly very, very fast, and they can turn on dime, so you need a pair of binoculars with a fast and smooth focuser to keep up. You should have given him the right tool for the job - a Zeiss FL or Nikon EDG - ah, but I forgot, you don't sell those!

Here's a video of a UFO flyby to give you an idea of their speed. A Swaro focuser wouldn't stand a chance.

Fast UFO filmed flying past airplane

Brock Lumpkin, president, UFOs-Я-Us

Crystal clearo:D

Point *seen*, but... This (your post before) is the first I heard of such a connection. "Made" to what extent is relevant. My point is that one can exclude anything if one looks for reasons to do so! Also, that the make named *never will be* equal to the others in quality is just not right. It already is, or soon can be, in optical quality, and depending on market demand could be in build quality. And then there'll be discussions like this on its price increases...

Sounds like you just responded to what everyone has already been stating about the Meopta brand....

"OR SOON TO BE">..... OR DEPENDING ON BUILD QUALITY"..etc.... Dah, that is what everyone is saying. You can take a Tasco and state that it can be an Alpha if they up the quality or soon to be better optics..... get real man. Get a hint now and move your Meopta converstation to the Meopta boards and within those boards, go ahead...state all you want about the Meopta's being Alpha's.

Sounds like you just responded to what everyone has already been stating about the Meopta brand....

"OR SOON TO BE">..... OR DEPENDING ON BUILD QUALITY"..etc.... Dah, that is what everyone is saying. You can take a Tasco and state that it can be an Alpha if they up the quality or soon to be better optics..... get real man. Get a hint now and move your Meopta converstation to the Meopta boards and within those boards, go ahead...state all you want about the Meopta's being Alpha's.

I'm still looking for the meopta board.

The Meostar HD is currently comparable to alphas, as many have already said; even the post you quoted mentions that it may already rival alpha quality. I haven't gotten to try the 8x32 Meostar HD, but I have tried the 10x42 side-by-side with both my 10x42 WB EL and a 10x42 SV EL, and I'd easily take it over my older WB and would have no qualms with taking it as opposed to the SV (I actually preferred it to the SV as the rolling ball in the model has always bothered me). I haven't gotten to compare it side by side with the higher end Zeiss or Leica, but I preferred it to both the Conquest HD and Trinovid.

Also, there are no Meopta forums, and comparing binoculars is the best way to determine which ones to purchase.

Happy birding,
Justin

CSG, sorry to irritate. I'm all for tight, economical writing where very appropriate, but here I think Perterra's comment is spot on B :), and I'm sure you'll agree this is better than a discussion swinging to the other side of the emotional spectrum, which too, unfortunately, happens here sometimes. Between Lee and me it's a personal feud - he praises the Zeiss Victory HT, a model he owns - so I diss it when I get the chance to address him on it - all in good fun!

Pomp

You are my anti-HT Pal forever ;)

Lee

Clearly Anne is a lady of great taste and discrimination o:)

Or she wouldn't be your wife.....

Or agreeing with me :gh:

Leo

Oh yes, my Anne.....200 pounds pure muscles from pro wrestling.
People are allways nice to me, otherwise I tell Anne.
It's a bit like :"calling Anne".;)

Thanks mate for clearing the air.
Maybe there is a future for you as a lawyer in a particular city in Germany:-O

Jan

Imans66, I was commenting only on "never will be". This is not being finicky about a far distant future. Kowa and Meopta are already at "alpha" level optically acc. to many who should be able to judge this. K. has a much longer history in wider markets and may not need to try to change the appeal of their products. M. at this stage may try to combine build with optical quality and capture "alpha" buyers. Seems to me not unrealistic to think this.

Imans66, I was commenting only on "never will be". This is not being finicky about a far distant future. Kowa and Meopta are already at "alpha" level optically acc. to many who should be able to judge this. K. has a much longer history in wider markets and may not need to try to change the appeal of their products. M. at this stage may try to combine build with optical quality and capture "alpha" buyers. Seems to me not unrealistic to think this.

Theres no reason they couldnt make an alpha, no reason one couldnt come from China, may take a little time but ti's closer than many thing.

This stuff falls into the perception is reality. To some, no matter how well a Kowa or Meopta is made it may never be an alpha in their perception, others who are less worried about the caste of the optic may well rate it with or above a current alpha.

I'm still wondering about the rolling bowels you mention? I have had torn up bowels, never rolled though.

I think it is "Rolling Bowl" Brock mentions in relation to binoculars with excessive pincushioning at the edges of their view.

Can you cite the the specific individual thread where the word "bowels" appears instead? I would have picked up on that and could not have resisted commenting and if I didn't I must be losing my touch!

Bob

I think it is "Rolling Bowl" Brock mentions in relation to binoculars with excessive pincushioning at the edges of their view.

Can you cite the the specific individual thread where the word "bowels" appears instead? I would have picked up on that and could not have resisted commenting and if I didn't I must be losing my touch!

Bob

Ooops, fruedian slip on my part, I read bowel and having read enough of Brocks, it just seemed normal. |8.|

Ooops, fruedian slip on my part, I read bowel and having read enough of Brocks, it just seemed normal. |8.|

Can I have a vowel, Vanna? ;)

"Rolling Bowl" is a term I coined based on the well known "rolling ball effect." The latter is due to angular magnification distortion and the former to excessive pincushion, but the effect is similar, the image appears to move over a curved surface.

With "rolling ball" it moves over a positively curved surface like a globe (hence, Holger's name for - the "globe effect") whereas with excessive pincushion the image appears to roll through a negatively shaped curves surface such as a bowl.

Both effects are created by the same general principle, the image at the center is a different size than the image at the edges of the field. When the image shrinks at the edges, as it does with angular magnification distortion, the smaller image appears to fade over the edge of a globe. In the case of excessive pincushion, the image appears smaller in the center and larger at the edges. It's the disparity of the image size that tricks the brain (or at least some brains, not everybody sees this) into thinking that the image is moving, which is most noticeable while panning the landscape or tilting the bins up and down a treeline.

Brock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back