• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski sellers dilusional? (2 Viewers)

If you're happy with non-fieldpro you can definitely get good deals on late serial number EL SVs, particularly the 8's and 10's. The 12's seem to be holding their price more.

When I got my ELs, I went out of my way to get new-old-stock of the pre-FieldPro version to get non-proprietary strap mounts. Also, if you get non-FieldPro, you are guaranteed to get one with the close-focus ability before they were gimped to not compete with the NLs.

When I got my ELs, I went out of my way to get new-old-stock of the pre-FieldPro version to get non-proprietary strap mounts.
with the NLs there are already adapter. so you can use your own straps.
I am not a friend of the field pro versions too. But at least the lock has not yet been released.
that the ELs were neutered like the SLCs in the past is again a different topic.
Loddar

Binocular prices can be as irrational as for watches, cameras and potentially any product. Those sellers are fishing for the buyer who hasn’t done homework or has to have the item right now. But those prices are nothing. Have you seen the madness in Rolex watches? Three times msrp for some models.
I prefer Omega

Yes the cost of a Rose Gold Daytona with Chocolate Dial sure gone up since I bought this one 4 years ago...
You've probably made a good investment there, and I don't blame you.....

But Rolex are the worlds gold medallists at marketing!!!! Squeezing availability, and parts availability, pushing prices up and people just keep buying!!
Anyone who pays for a Rolex from a dealer, let alone 3 times for a second hand one, needs some sort of therapy in my opinion.... Sorry!
It's pure marketing, not watch quality you are paying for.
Seikos 'Grand' series are easily the equal of ANY swiss timepiece, if not better.
Their Marinemaster series are possibly the best tool divers ever made.... certainly above Submariners.... but everyone has to have a Sub.
But they could never command Rolex prices, because the brand can't hold that level.

And No... I don't own a Grand Seiko or Marinemaster, but I do have a long standing interest in watches.

You've probably made a good investment there, and I don't blame you.....

But Rolex are the worlds gold medallists at marketing!!!! Squeezing availability, and parts availability, pushing prices up and people just keep buying!!
Anyone who pays for a Rolex from a dealer, let alone 3 times for a second hand one, needs some sort of therapy in my opinion.... Sorry!
Seikos 'Grand' series are easily the equal of ANY swiss timepiece, if not better.
Their Marinemaster series are possibly the best tool divers ever made.... certainly above Submariners.... but everyone has to have a Sub.
But they could never command Rolex prices, because the brand can't hold that level.

And No... I don't own a Grand Seiko or Marinemaster, but I do have a long standing interest in watches.
I am by no means a expert or even close on watches and about 4 years ago just on a whim I purchased 2 solid gold Rolexes with one being the Daytona in Solid Rose Gold and the other is the Rolex Skydweller in solid yellow gold. I had no idea what so ever they would ever go up in price as I just wanted them. Rolex is the king of brand recognition and a master at marketing there watches. I also have several lovely Breguet's and a Patek....

this is my Skydweller below in yellow gold and silver dial..

Attachments

• 5A70836C-4A99-44F7-B13A-0258643744DE.jpeg
    5A70836C-4A99-44F7-B13A-0258643744DE.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 23
  • EFF0D571-C7A8-4AE4-A8C6-46DA9A88C674.jpeg
    EFF0D571-C7A8-4AE4-A8C6-46DA9A88C674.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
  • B0D18C7B-41FB-4DC2-A671-533E6A8F2BB5.jpeg
    B0D18C7B-41FB-4DC2-A671-533E6A8F2BB5.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 23
  • 0236B67B-C057-433B-B3E6-E8EC636BB639.jpeg
    0236B67B-C057-433B-B3E6-E8EC636BB639.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
Binocular prices can be as irrational as for watches, cameras and potentially any product. (...)
Yes the cost of a Rose Gold Daytona with Chocolate Dial sure gone up since I bought this one 4 years ago...
I prefer Omega
You've probably made a good investment there, and I don't blame you..... But Rolex are the worlds gold medallists at marketing!!!! (...)
I am by no means a expert or even close on watches and about 4 years ago just on a whim I purchased 2 solid gold Rolexes (...)
Aaaah, watches... :love:
Don't want to make a show of it, but this is an original CASIO Wave Ceptor Tough Solar #4317 I bought about ten years ago, actually my only wristwatch. Radio-controlled, run by a solar cell, hence exactly to the split second and endless endurance. Admittedly, I paid 45 € for this babe but believe me: worth every Cent. And boy, don't ask for current second-hand prices... ;)

Attachments

• 20220602_131521-01.jpeg
    20220602_131521-01.jpeg
    111.3 KB · Views: 34
I am enjoying this thread from the beginning. Now I understand that watches are very important tools for birding. Rolex, Casio, Omega, they all are nice looking watches. The common benefit of having one of them is we can get an idea of the time. It is very important to note the time when birding because most of bird species are showing themselves in a specific time range of the day. So my question is what is the best watch to use for birding? Are there specific watches for birding in different habitats?

By the way I bought an watch brand new for 50 euros one and half years ago. Yes, it is expensive but the wonder is it shows the distance I traveled, my heart beat, some weather information, etc. addition to the time. The only gripe is it needs to be charged once a week however I often forget to charge. So normally I use my phone to check the time.

Last edited:
For some, shopping is a form of therapy. (Hope my wife doesn't read this) :)
It somehow just gives you that fuzzy warm feeling inside..:)

Attachments

• 381D321C-A878-4FD1-8182-D3C18B14C9AD.jpeg
    381D321C-A878-4FD1-8182-D3C18B14C9AD.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 53
  • DDAA773B-AC6E-4A75-9DEF-A83FE681D88E.jpeg
    DDAA773B-AC6E-4A75-9DEF-A83FE681D88E.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 52
  • 3A44CA8A-1E87-47F4-AAC4-DE4F47D04452.jpeg
    3A44CA8A-1E87-47F4-AAC4-DE4F47D04452.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 52
For some, shopping is a form of therapy.
Few actually like the idea of therapy, but I read of a poll several years ago in which Americans (no jokes please) were asked to name their favorite leisure activity, and the winner was... "shopping". To me that connotes not even having a specific need in mind, but I'm sure that's a matter of individual taste.

this is an original CASIO Wave Ceptor Tough Solar #4317
Nice classic dial, but I have to ask what "WORK/READY", "NO/YES" mean. Does it tell fortunes too?

1) Few actually like the idea of therapy, but I read of a poll several years ago in which Americans (no jokes please) were asked to name their favorite leisure activity, and the winner was... "shopping". To me that connotes not even having a specific need in mind, but I'm sure that's a matter of individual taste.

2) Nice classic dial, but I have to ask what "WORK/READY", "NO/YES" mean. Does it tell fortunes too?
1) I couldn't agree more. BTW, for me in person selling is something like a therapy: We sell and give away unnecessary stuff to simplify our life and also to fund more sensible aquisitions. And if ever we are thinking about to buy something new we ask ourselves before whether we we really want and need it. It works!

2) Of course it does as to be expected of a watch in this luxurious price class (list price 69.00 €!). However, the manual states that these messages on the dial indicate whether the connection to the radio station has been established. You have to press the two buttons in the right way and then the hands of the watch give you the respective answer. ;)

Rolex are the worlds gold medallists at marketing!!!! Squeezing availability, and parts availability, pushing prices up and people just keep buying!!
I've always been a Seiko fan and the Grand Seiko watches are incredibly good.

I pretty much said what you did about Rolex to my friend who works on them though, and while he agrees that the prices are now ridiculous, he also likes them from a mechanical point of view and feels that while they are overpriced, they're still an excellent watch.

I've always been a Seiko fan and the Grand Seiko watches are incredibly good.

I pretty much said what you did about Rolex to my friend who works on them though, and while he agrees that the prices are now ridiculous, he also likes them from a mechanical point of view and feels that while they are overpriced, they're still an excellent watch.
Yeah, no question. But the costs are way above the product.(y)

Hey watch enthusiasts, FYI there is an effectively dead BirdForum subforum devoted to watches in the General Outdoor Equipment forum.

On Rolex, the quality and durability are superb, the prices have long been high due to brand prestige, but current used prices being three or more times new is a result of extremely high demand relative to supply. New Rolex watches are not available. Why has demand for high-end prestige luxury watches, esp. Rolex and Patek Philippe 5711 skyrocketed over the last 5 or 6 years? Supposedly because they've caught the attention of newly wealthy folks, including many in China, who want to flex. Across the world, some folks have become fabulously wealthy very recently and are looking for ways to distribute their wealth. Art, NFTs, virtual currencies,...and apparently, Rolex watches. Most recently, attention has gone back to real estate (check out home sale value price spike in USA since 2019), so maybe interest in luxury watches will dial down a bit. Maybe.

--AP

Yes, I completely agree with you..... but I just don't get it!
ROLEX is the Master of Marketing no doubt.... ! I have several Breguet watches that are much much more significant then the Rolexes but only a very very few would ever notice a Breguet but everyone can relate to a ROLEX..:)

There was a documentary about the Marie Antoinette watch.
By the Just a Minute presenter.

Value maybe $100 million and the copy something similar.

Regards,
B.

I have 4 Swarovski binoculars and 3 riflescopes. All bought brand new from authorized dealers. I had more but sold couple of them.
Recently I wanted to buy some old used beat up pair of binoculars for my niece. So I went on eBay and Rokslide. I am seeing people asking for as much new items. I can buy new pairs for $100 more. And these sellers are firm on their prices like they have the only pair of binoculars in the world.
I sold my Swarovski items for 70 percent of the original value. Items had no defects and had original box and paper. These people have worn out bridges, no boxes etc.
There is no shortage of new binoculars. So what am I missing?
I agree. It's ridiculous. These people are chancers, trying it on to see if someone will buy there overpriced ancient item, and surprisingly some people fall for it..

Cheers

Tim

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back