• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski sellers dilusional? (2 Viewers)

Looks like a good deal but I think I’ll wait until they have a couple hundred reviews. It does have a “main mirror and special shockproof bag” so it’s got that going for it.

Think I've sold as low as 60% of retail for an excellent condition binocular (almost no use - so like me taking the product out of the package and looking thru it a couple of times in the backyard and putting it back in the package). Not so eager to buy and try anymore so I don't do this as often as I once did.

I see ridiculous prices on eBay for used goods, not just binoculars. I'll send a reasonable offer if interested but I am almost always declined.

Private sellers are frequently out of touch with market. Smart buyers just walk away.

Covid supply chain issues and stimulus money (that so called free money) created a unique selling environment where sellers could get away with higher prices somewhat as buyers feared they would miss out otherwise.

cg

I have sold an EL 10x32, and an EL 8x32, and another EL 8X32, and a Z3 rifle scope.

One of the EL 8x32 went during the mortgage banking crises so it went for cheap in like new condition.

The 10x32 was used for about a decade, was in good condition as I take care of my sh@t. My cost per year was very reasonable for top end gear, maybe $50 a year??? Hard to recall exactly as my memories are sometimes foggy.

Z3 sold for about 75% retail - was mounted but saw little use. Said I would likely never do a Swaro scope again as cost benefit wasn't apparent; have purchased two this year. Amazing what time can do to someone.

CG

This forum is not about how much you paid for a binocular and how much you received when you sold it.
It may be interesting to some, but it is not important.

So, we should just talk about binoculars, their qualities and how they meet our needs.

I have sold an EL 10x32, and an EL 8x32, and another EL 8X32, and a Z3 rifle scope.

One of the EL 8x32 went during the mortgage banking crises so it went for cheap in like new condition.

The 10x32 was used for about a decade, was in good condition as I take care of my sh@t. My cost per year was very reasonable for top end gear, maybe $50 a year??? Hard to recall exactly as my memories are sometimes foggy.

Z3 sold for about 75% retail - was mounted but saw little use. Said I would likely never do a Swaro scope again as cost benefit wasn't apparent; have purchased two this year. Amazing what time can do to someone.

CG
I hadn't given much thought to cost-per-year, but it can be an inexpensive hobby if you take care of your glass.

Interesting thread…I initially joined this forum because my wife and I enjoy birdwatching form our back patio. However, we are going to South Africa in Sept. and I’m on the hunt for a 2nd pair of binos in 8x32, either Leicas or Swaros. I am a member of the Rokslide Forum and find it very informative, but I have noticed that Sellers seem to be very proud of their binoculars as evidenced in the used pricing.

Interesting thread…I initially joined this forum because my wife and I enjoy birdwatching form our back patio. However, we are going to South Africa in Sept. and I’m on the hunt for a 2nd pair of binos in 8x32, either Leicas or Swaros. I am a member of the Rokslide Forum and find it very informative, but I have noticed that Sellers seem to be very proud of their binoculars as evidenced in the used pricing.
You can find high prices if you don't have patience, and you can find unbelievably low prices if you have the time to search them out.

I really like all three of my 8x32 Leicas and chose the brand due to the combination of high quality views in such a compact package. Initially was open to any brand, but once I got to see what I wanted out of my first pair, and saw how much larger other options were, I became entrenched fairly quickly. If you go with the Leica brand for your 8x32 I'd highly suggest the BA or BN and if you look for a serial number higher than 145xxxx you'll be getting the newest of the lens coatings available from that series. Otherwise, the Ultravid is absolutely stellar, and slightly lighter and less bulky, not due to a reduction in key materials, but rather due to the change from aluminum/steel to magnesium/titanium for the body and hinge shaft.

I hadn't given much thought to cost-per-year, but it can be an inexpensive hobby if you take care of your glass.
That's how a lot of things turn out; buy quality and shop well, you may end up spending less and enjoying more in the long run than if you try to buy the cheapest, then the next cheapest, going up one step at a time. I mostly drink only somewhat spendy scotches, but since I drink very little, still spend less on $80-250 bottles than even occasional beer drinkers tend to do.

I'm on both of those forums too, and dearly love SA. Don't assume advertised prices on the high end Binos are set in stone. I can typically squeeze a 10% discount even if I have to wait for Cabelas to offer 10% off on the occasional Tuesday.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back