• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sweet-nectar for Hummingbirds? (1 Viewer)

I wouldn't buy it for sure. I see it advertised as "Dye Free" which is good, but potassium chloride and chalk!!? I have been getting plently of Ruby Throated Hummers at my feeders with just the 1:4 sugar/water mix.

I wouldn't buy it either. The coloring is just marketing. The other components may be harmless but I doubt if they are proven to be healthier for the birds. And they may even be detrimental in the long term. The price of that stuff is outrageous:
Just by adding the recommended amount of tap water, one 750 ml bottle of Sweet-Nectarâ„¢ hummingbird nectar concentrate will make well over an entire half-gallon (2250 ml) of full potency hummingbird food. . . . $11.99 per 750 ml bottle
In the summer, I make up a half-gallon every other day for my four 16-oz feeders. Using that stuff would cost me over $40 per week. That's just plain crazy. :eek!:

The pure cane sugar/water recipe is probably the best for the birds; definitely the easiest and cheapest. :t:

Last edited:
I second almost everything that's already been said. The potential market for hummingbird feeder solution seems to be irresistible to big companies and small-time entrepreneurs alike, and both depend on false and misleading information to get and keep customers for their products.

This company probably added potassium chloride and calcium carbonate to mimic the electrolyte component of natural nectar. They're potentially beneficial supplements, though insects are a far better source of electrolytes and other minerals and we don't know how chronic excess calcium intake might affect hummingbirds. It's the "all natural wild flower extracts...created from the flowers most visited by hummingbirds" that trouble me most. Are they really grinding up hummingbird-pollinated flowers to create this product, and if so what species are they using??

Sweet-Nectar

Hello and thank you for your interest in feeding hummers.

I just thought I should explain our position at Sweet-Seed, if that is OK.

First, I want to be clear that we too tell our customers when asked, that making your own sugar water solution to feed hummingbirds is always a good idea. Despite this, we have a very loyal following of customers who use our product on an ongoing basis...many of which have reported attracting hummingbirds for the very first time to their feeders.

This is, after all, why we do what we do. Those of us who started Sweet-Seed love feeding hummingbirds ourselves and have done our due diligence to bring a quality, all natural product to other bird lovers.

Our mission has been from the start, to only offer wild birds a quality product, and to offer something that is quick and easy (and yes, I realize that making sugar water is not rocket science...but our customers have told us time and again how they like to pull the bottle from the fridge, add some water and serve).

As for research, we are right down the street from the cornell lab. The Cornell lab does all of our testing for things such as shelf life, product safety, etc.

I admire those of you who care for hummers as much as we like to think we do, and applaud you for taking the time to offer up what you feel is best for them. Our only aim is to do the same.

Cheers,

Mike Cerio
Sweet-Seed, LLC

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back