• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trinovid BAs still a 'sweet spot' among Leica binoculars? (1 Viewer)

I tried to simulate the eyesight accommodation I no longer have with the image on the right by simply bringing the telescope closer to focus on the glitter points as my eye would do if it could. As you can see both the blue and amber circles of confusion shrink by the same amount maintaining the same distance from focus and therefore the same DOF relative to each other.
Unfortunately this still doesn't address Larry's hypothesis, which is specifically about how visual accommodation might depend on wavelength and therefore can't be simulated in this way. But the point is well taken that variation in light level must be avoided to keep pupil size constant. Do we know that colored filters have roughly the same overall transmission?

To get back to the original forum question.... I don't think the BA's or BN's are the sweet spot anymore.... they have old glass, are heavy, ...a bit out of style now etc... Still a great binocular and some do use them as their every day. But the current line-up of Leica's, outdoes the need for over-priced BA's and BN's on eBay as I see them selling for. I found a used in box for close to $1700.... You have to be kidding me? And someone will buy it? Why? if you have $1700 to spend, just save up a few hundred more for an new or even a used UV. Simple.....

I don't think the BA's or BN's are the sweet spot anymore.... I found a used in box for close to $1700.... You have to be kidding me? And someone will buy it? Why?...
Hello Imans,

Someone may buy it because Leica collectors are obsessed, especially over anything in mint condition.

Stay safe,
Arthur

…the current line-up of Leica's, outdoes the need for over-priced BA's and BN's on eBay as I see them selling for. I found a used in box for close to $1700.... You have to be kidding me?
No shortage of dreamers out there and they’ll probably be dropping that price by a thousand or more before they manage to sell them. I found my new in box HD+ for a lot less than that and my excellent condition BN for about a fifth of that price.
Would have preferred that they both had a bit more wear so that I could have gotten them for less yet, but considering what I’ve got into the BN, I still think it was the better deal.

Last edited:
The original post.... 'Still a sweet spot' ??
I think yes.
The new Trinovid is about £750 has 10 years warranty, is optically outperformed by the old BN Trinovid.... I've recently side by side tested them.
The old BN Trinovid is better made, optically superior, cost me £590 having been through Leica service, and still has 12 years warranty according to Leica UK.
The new Ultra's are better optically, but not a huge leap by any means, but for me, worse ergonomically, and only have 10 years warranty I believe.
The cost is £1800. (And yes, I do love them).

But that does make the old BN Trinovid a very firm sweet spot in my eyes!!
So much so that I was happy to throw a bit more (£675) for a LNIB pair.
My original ones sold on for ZERO loss.... another important point.
These ones still cost less than a new Trinovid, and have 13 years remaining Leica warranty.
Bloody bargain!!

The original post.... 'Still a sweet spot' ??
I think yes.
The new Trinovid is about £750 has 10 years warranty, is optically outperformed by the old BN Trinovid.... I've recently side by side tested them.
The old BN Trinovid is better made, optically superior, cost me £590 having been through Leica service, and still has 12 years warranty according to Leica UK.
The new Ultra's are better optically, but not a huge leap by any means, but for me, worse ergonomically, and only have 10 years warranty I believe.
The cost is £1800. (And yes, I do love them).

But that does make the old BN Trinovid a very firm sweet spot in my eyes!!
So much so that I was happy to throw a bit more (£675) for a LNIB pair.
My original ones sold on for ZERO loss.... another important point.
These ones still cost less than a new Trinovid, and have 13 years remaining Leica warranty.
Bloody bargain!!
Is that a Europe 'thing'? Mine (US) warranty is 30yrs...

Is that a Europe 'thing'? Mine (US) warranty is 30yrs...
Right ok... I'm only going on what I was told at the dealer...
I may have been given bad info.... But it's why I emailed Leica about the BN warranty period... just to be sure.
Someone will no doubt shout up (y)

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back