• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swift 804 Audubon Binoculars - A Beginner's Experience (4 Viewers)

downunder said:
Ed, the second pair have arrived; exactly the same story as the first pair. The seller said they were giving great images when he sent them but they have arrived needing collimation. I know cbushme believed that the vibrations from airline travel could very well have caused this, however I am still surprised after reading Bill Cook's article on the Cloudynights forum ("Will the REAL Audubon Please Stand Up) where he stated that because of the collimation with eccentric rings, once these these suckers get collimated they stay collimated. Ah well, off to York Optical again.

My question for you Ed: Where do you look for the serial number? I've looked all over the binoculars but can't find one.

Downunder,

Aarrrrgggg. Well, at least you're going to have properly collimated Audubons, that should keep for the duration. Also, the last purchase was really a give-away.

The serial number on all my binoculars is located on the front hinge as Arthur mentioned. I recently acquired a Type 2 construction 7x50 Commodore, and if that serves as a guide the s/n would be on a circular plastic hinge cover held on with a machine screw. It also says "JAPAN." Hopefully, yours are not missing. The L-B58 manufacturer's mark should also be clearly stamped on the hinge itself.

Please describe the other markings on the left and right prism covers. Are both binoculars the same? Is there a white triangle on the right side under a blue AUDUBON with Mark II inside?

Keep in touch please,
Ed

elkcub said:
Downunder,
The serial number on all my binoculars is located on the front hinge as Arthur mentioned. I recently acquired a Type 2 construction 7x50 Commodore, and if that serves as a guide the s/n would be on a circular plastic hinge cover held on with a machine screw. It also says "JAPAN." Hopefully, yours are not missing. The L-B58 manufacturer's mark should also be clearly stamped on the hinge itself.

Please describe the other markings on the left and right prism covers. Are both binoculars the same? Is there a white triangle on the right side under a blue AUDUBON with Mark II inside?

Keep in touch please,
Ed

Ed, you're correct. The circular plastic hinge cover is missing on this one. I only just realised it when I compared it to the photo of the other one that is being collimated in Brisbane at the moment. There is a brass end to the hinge on this one and it looks obvious there should be a protective cover. I can see the protective cover on the photo of the one in Brisbane but can't make out any detail.`

The LB58 is engraved in the metal to the right of the hinge just where it joins the right side of the binocular. I only have one pair of binoculars with me but have photos of the second one. They appear to be exactly the same (in every other detail except for the missing hinge cover). Both binoculars are marked Audubon Mark II in blue but no white triangle. In every other way they appear exactly the same as the type 2a photographs.

On Both:

The left prism cover has "SWIFT" on the top and down lower it has "FULLY COATED OPTICS FEATHER WEIGHT".

The right prism cover has "AUDUBON" (in blue) and directly under it (in blue) "MARK II". Further down it has "8.5x,44 EXTRA WIDE FIELD 445ft. at 1000yds. MODEL NO. 804"

I pick the other pair up in about 10 days. I'll look for its serial number and get back to you.

Hope the above helps,
Glenn

You Swift Audubon collectors better save some money for the rarest of them all: there was a porro prism variant of the Audubons made in 9x42. I am not sure if it had the same 5 lens eyepiece, it probably did.

Otto McDiesel said:
You Swift Audubon collectors better save some money for the rarest of them all: there was a porro prism variant of the Audubons made in 9x42. I am not sure if it had the same 5 lens eyepiece, it probably did.

Otto,

We'd love to update our historical review with any model that can be verified. (However, Swift Audubon collecting is still somewhat less than a big bucks avocation.) Let me know if you can share any documentation please.

Thanks,
Ed

elkcub said:
Otto,

We'd love to update our historical review with any model that can be verified. (However, Swift Audubon collecting is still somewhat less than a big bucks avocation.) Let me know if you can share any documentation please.

Thanks,
Ed

One was sold on ebay, from England, sometime this spring. I couldn't bid on it (tuition and all).

Otto McDiesel said:

Hi Otto

Indeed there is a model of this spec one surfaced on ebay mid last year
I seem to recall it sold for about the same or just a little more than good condition 8.5 Audubon models so from what you say this will have been a bargain
I was so intrigued when it was advertised i contacted Stephen Carter at Swift customer services who replied stating it was probably a USA spec model ?

I'm guessing if its quality was based on the 8.5 Audubon this may well have been an excellent binocular in between 8 x and 10 x

Regards
Rich

richt said:
Hi Otto

Indeed there is a model of this spec one surfaced on ebay mid last year
I seem to recall it sold for about the same or just a little more than good condition 8.5 Audubon models so from what you say this will have been a bargain
I was so intrigued when it was advertised i contacted Stephen Carter at Swift customer services who replied stating it was probably a USA spec model ?

I'm guessing if its quality was based on the 8.5 Audubon this may well have been an excellent binocular in between 8 x and 10 x

Regards
Rich

Rich,

What does a "USA spec model" mean? Made for the US market? Did Steve have any record of it? Swift's records are known to be incomplete, and apparently don't include European variants.

Ed

Last edited:
elkcub said:
Rich,

What does a "USA spec model" mean? Made for the US market? Did Steve have any record of it? Swift's records are known to be incomplete, and apparently don't include European variants.

Ed

Those binoculars had an interesting acronym on the right prism housing, something like SPWF, or SWUFA or such.

Otto McDiesel said:
Those binoculars had an interesting acronym on the right prism housing, something like SPWF, or SWUFA or such.

Since the early 1990s, Swift started using codes like BWCF, meaning B=eyeglass friendly, W=wide angle, and CF=center focus (as I recall). Could that be it? Their default ocular was a 3-element Kellner, unless otherwise specified (usually a 5 element Erfle). But there were 4-element oculars they called Erfles too.

Historically, Swift was not consistent about markings and changed names rather often. The 10x50 Model 826, for example, was at various times called an Audubon, an Audubon Kestrel, or simply a Kestrel. Who know what else?

A 9x42 Swift Audubon would be an interesting curiosity, and would add even more spice to the story. Apparently it didn't last very long.

Many thanks,
Ed

Last edited:
elkcub said:
Rich,

Ed

Hi Ed

I have searched in vain for Stephen Carter's email but cannot find it (probably daughter deleting spree !!) however i notice Otto has indicated this model had prism housing markings in another reply and i recall the ebay advert did mention SP in the model description
I am convinced this pair were listed as 9 x of course as ever with ebay it could have been a listing error but the advert appeared with a semmingly knowledgeable description
Stephen Carter initially indicated that he was unaware of this as a standard model i think this is why he mentioned the USA /European spec's annoyingly i cant quite remember his actual comment on the possible origin
Its certainly an intriguing one
If i find any other info will post again

Regards
Rich

richt said:
Hi Ed

I have searched in vain for Stephen Carter's email but cannot find it (probably daughter deleting spree !!) however i notice Otto has indicated this model had prism housing markings in another reply and i recall the ebay advert did mention SP in the model description
I am convinced this pair were listed as 9 x of course as ever with ebay it could have been a listing error but the advert appeared with a semmingly knowledgeable description
Stephen Carter initially indicated that he was unaware of this as a standard model i think this is why he mentioned the USA /European spec's annoyingly i cant quite remember his actual comment on the possible origin
Its certainly an intriguing one
If i find any other info will post again

Regards
Rich
I looked at the pictures of binoculars in that particular ebay listing. The binos looked like the classical Audubon porro, and were clearly marked "9, x42"
The acronym was interesting, the first letters were SWAxx. I did not know what it stood for, and as always when i try to remember, i made it up as SouthWestern Association xx of something. Maybe i don't remember correctly, but it was a 9x42 for sure.

Otto McDiesel said:
I looked at the pictures of binoculars in that particular ebay listing. The binos looked like the classical Audubon porro, and were clearly marked "9, x42"
The acronym was interesting, the first letters were SWAxx. I did not know what it stood for, and as always when i try to remember, i made it up as SouthWestern Association xx of something. Maybe i don't remember correctly, but it was a 9x42 for sure.

Hi Otto

Yes your post has jogged my memory a little more it was actually an acronym that prefixed with SWA... and not SP as i posted
They did indeed look like the standard pre 820 Audubon body type and thankyou for confirming the 9 x 42 spec i was starting to think i had imagined this !!
Its an interesting question as to which areas of the world these particular models were sold in but the SWA acronym i think may be simply Swift Wide Angle ?

The plot thickens as surely someone somewhere must have info or have seen/owned a pair
After all if these were anything like Audubon quality they must have sold at least to some enthusiasts in the time they were available
I'm guessing if a pair or two of these were by some quirk of fate still available as "new old stock" sat on a shelf they would be very collectable

Damn knew i should have had a bid !!

Regards
Rich T

richt said:
Hi Otto

Yes your post has jogged my memory a little more it was actually an acronym that prefixed with SWA... and not SP as i posted
They did indeed look like the standard pre 820 Audubon body type and thankyou for confirming the 9 x 42 spec i was starting to think i had imagined this !!
Its an interesting question as to which areas of the world these particular models were sold in but the SWA acronym i think may be simply Swift Wide Angle ?

The plot thickens as surely someone somewhere must have info or have seen/owned a pair
After all if these were anything like Audubon quality they must have sold at least to some enthusiasts in the time they were available
I'm guessing if a pair or two of these were by some quirk of fate still available as "new old stock" sat on a shelf they would be very collectable

Damn knew i should have had a bid !!

Regards
Rich T

Rich/Otto,

I'll be calling Steve about 826 Kestrel materials, but will again inquire about this mysterious 9x42. As you will note from our paper, the entire Type 3 series of 804 Audubons was designed and sold in Europe, and there are no records of them in Swift's San Jose archive at all. In general, they are fairly rare in the US, and mainly show up because of eBay. European models were developed and sold by a different Swift company with little connection to the US holding company. (The names of these companies are in the historcal paper.) So, my guess is that the mysterious 9x42 was also European in origin. Let's agree to post any new information found.

Many thanks,
Ed

Swift Nomenclature

elkcub said:
Since the early 1990s, Swift started using codes like BWCF, meaning B=eyeglass friendly, W=wide angle, and CF=center focus (as I recall).

Actually, the "B" indicated a unibody or one piece Bausch & Lomb style body. The Swift Ultralites, by contrast, use a 2 piece Zeiss style body and and are marked with a "Z" as in 7 x 42 ZCF.

chartwell99 said:
elkcub said:
Since the early 1990s, Swift started using codes like BWCF, meaning B=eyeglass friendly, W=wide angle, and CF=center focus (as I recall).

Actually, the "B" indicated a unibody or one piece Bausch & Lomb style body. The Swift Ultralites, by contrast, use a 2 piece Zeiss style body and and are marked with a "Z" as in 7 x 42 ZCF.

Yes, I'm sure you're right. That's an important code. Thanks for the correction.

Ed
PS. And "H" is used to designate a roof prism, usually as HCF.

Last edited:
Hello you guys in search of lost Audubons,

I'm afraid I have to shatter your dreams about a 9x42 Audubon.
Yes, Swift indeed produced a binocular with this unusual configuration, but as it came with a blue dot logo instead of the Audubons gold one, its quality must have been just a bit below the top range. In my 1987 (prob.) Swift catalogue all leather-clad porro's are dot-classified: gold, blue, red, green, orange. There is only one gold dot, the 8.5x44 Audubon. There are three blue dots: the 9x42 SPWA, the 8x36 Saratoga and the 10x42 Newport.
I have seen a 9x42 SPWA, from I think Italy, listed on eBay in October/November. The curious thing is, my Dutch catalogue has a photograph of exactly this type (with SPWA and 9x42 on the right lid) while in the text it is mentioned as the 9x42 Condor.
All three blue dots are BWCF's, meaning Bausch uni-body wide angle centre focussing types. What SPWA exactly means is not entirely clear to me: wide angle superb performance maybe (SP is, if I'm correct, also used in this way by Pentax).
Anyway, while not Audubons, this Swift blue dot range could be of very good quality. I think not only the 9x42 SPWA/Condor is worth a try, but also the 8x36, looking like a lovely, miniature Audubon.

cheers,

Renze

Renze,

Okay, so the 9x42 model was not an "Audubon" variant. In your catalog are the models broken out into Mark I, II, and III? In my 1980 catalog, the lower cost Mark I are discussed as "... accuracy at a very modest price." They looked a lot like "Swift's finest..." Mark II premium series with "B" bodies, but with a narrower FOV — probably 4-element eyepieces. The Mark III are all "...the last word in compact [i.e., roof] binoculars," but Model 820 is a 9x35 IF with 5-lens Erfle ocular, called the "Armored Trilyte."

Now this is very curious, for as we know the replacement for the 804 Audubon porro is also designated Model No. 820. Could it have been a printing mistake? Not likely since it's also shown in the price list as the Model No. 820 Armored Trilyte 9x35 HWIF. Price: $375. The Model No. 804 Audubon 8.5x44 BWCF of that era, incidentally, was only $240.

Ed

Last edited:
elkcub said:
Renze,

Okay, so the 9x42 model was not an "Audubon" variant. In your catalog are the models broken out into Mark I, II, and III? In my 1980 catalog, vol. 54, the Mark I are discussed as "... accuracy at a very modest price." They looked a lot like "Swift's finest..." Mark II premium series with "B" bodies, but with narrower FOV — probably not a 5-element eyepiece. The Mark III are all "...the last word in compact [i.e., roof] binoculars," but model 820 is a 9x35 IF with 5-lens Erfle ocular.

Does your catalog show the model number of the 9x42?

Ed
This post strikes a chord in my memory. In the late 1970's, no later than 1980, I was on the South Lookout of Hawk Mountain on a cold November day. One of the birders next to me was using an unusual (to me) binocular.
I asked him about it and he graciously let me look through it. It was a Swift 9 x 35 Roof Prism. The only one I have ever seen. I was very impressed with their view and I asked him where he got them. He mentioned a place in New England where he was visiting from. I never was able to locate another one and I have often wondered why Swift never marketed them more actively.

I do not recall these as being Individual Focus but memory does play tricks.

Last edited:
Ceasar,

See my reworded post #37. It could be they were sold in the US somewhat prior to 1980. I don't have any other full catalog to go on.

Ed

elkcub said:
Rich/Otto,

I'll be calling Steve about 826 Kestrel materials, but will again inquire about this mysterious 9x42. As you will note from our paper, the entire Type 3 series of 804 Audubons was designed and sold in Europe, and there are no records of them in Swift's San Jose archive at all. In general, they are fairly rare in the US, and mainly show up because of eBay. European models were developed and sold by a different Swift company with little connection to the US holding company. (The names of these companies are in the historcal paper.) So, my guess is that the mysterious 9x42 was also European in origin. Let's agree to post any new information found.

Many thanks,
Ed

Hi Ed

Judging by the various replies coming in on this thread the Swift 9 x 42 does seem to be likely of European origin not USA
Thinking back again Stephen's reply to me from Swift may have actually indicated this and not the other way round as i stated in my early post
Thats the trouble with deleted mails etc often you can only remember bits and pieces when time has gone by

Or maybe its just middle aged dementia !!!

Its a very interesting topic though this Swift history and i hope more folk throw light on the lesser known specs etc
At this rate Ed you and a couple of other forum folk will likely build a Swift "reference" file which will become definitive

Regards
Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back