• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swift binoculars--is it just me? (4 Viewers)

Curtis Croulet said:
So why are you sticking with Swift, Mike? Doing what you do, I'd think you'd want the finest binoculars obtainable.
I go to remote locations fairly often and have the concern that expensive equipment attracts thieves. There really isn't much difference in image quality between a $300 pair and a $1500 pair. I also drive a crummy old car. I just don't like buying top-of-the-line items and then having to worry about them. If it makes a real difference in quality, however, I will go for the better model. I don't plan to necessarily stick with Swifts. I have thought about going Zeiss. I met some guides who have been using them in the Amazon for years with no problems at all.

cinclodes said:
I have thought about going Zeiss. I met some guides who have been using them in the Amazon for years with no problems at all.

And that's what I think you need (or Leica, Swarovski, Nikon). The super-expensive bins are indeed sharper than cheap bins, but, as you observe, not by a lot. Where the expensive bins really score is on being able to take bashing around and dunking -- and it sounds to me like you're doing a lot of both. Just my opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back