• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swifts gone, Winters on its way again. (1 Viewer)

My local flock in Dundee usually leave around the 7th or 8th, but there were still a few birds around until Saturday this year. I hadn't seen them since, so thought they'd departed. However, I did hear screaming and see 4 this morning while waiting for the bus to work. It could be coincidence, but I suspect they are still the stragglers of "my" flock.
Just looked out my window and there are at least 3 still flying around out there tonight. Summer is hanging on......

Saw one near Dunleer, Co Louth yesterday while on the way to a sea watch at Clogherhead.
Possibly still around patch or local town. Shall check it out later.

Si.

Still had one roosting in nextdoors attic last night. Flying in at about 6.00pm ish. Earlier today had a buzzard fly over back garden calling, Went and had a quick look and also saw a single swift flying around.

Still plenty about the skies of Inverness. Swallows low over the fields by Tesco and swifts out over the river up high.

Definitely gone from Alnwick :-C Last three seen on Tuesday 14th - a day earlier than last year :smoke:

Next time I see them I should be in our new house with a bit of luck :king:

20+ around here still yesterday morning. That was the first day I've not seen the local House Martins though.

That's TWICE i've lied!!!!!! I was at work yesterday morning and heard some screaming outside o:)
''Oooh swifts! They're still here!'' I said.
The customer I was serving just looked at me as though I was barking mad :smoke:

Had a couple screaming up above me at 8am as I hung some washing out :t:

Most have definitely gone now as this past weekl has just had them in small groups of around 4-5 birds. This year's youngsters?

Still screeching up and down the moray firth along side house and sand Martin's. Swallows have young out sunbathing on the telephone wires this morning. Very nice to see.

I watched a party of 7 heading out to sea, battling against a strong SW wind from the Point at Dungeness today. Their wings going ten to the dozen but seemingly only moving forward about 20 yards a minute!
Only another 600 miles to go lads before we hit Spain... :smoke:

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back