• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SX40 Super Zoom (6 Viewers)

This afternoon was a cloudy day but I saw this though my basement window out to the driveway on the top of the old car. No crop. SX 40 Not quite full magnification taken through glass window.

I believe it's a sharp shinned hawk - a sharpie. It's a lot larger than a blue jay but smaller than a crow.

Attachments

• IMG_0962a.jpg
    IMG_0962a.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0965a.jpg
    IMG_0965a.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 169
This afternoon was a cloudy day but I saw this though my basement window out to the driveway on the top of the old car. No crop. SX 40 Not quite full magnification taken through glass window.

I believe it's a sharp shinned hawk - a sharpie. It's a lot larger than a blue jay but smaller than a crow.

Another great shot CF,bags of detail,keep em coming.

Hello,

I might sound like I am contradicting myself here. I owned the SX40 then sold it to move over to the HS30. The HS30 was more suitable for my needs but the SX40 was far better for bird photography.

Regards,
Andrew.

I have still got my Fuju HS20, I would agree with this comment, it does look like a "horses for courses" thing, the Canon is the bird photographing master, whereas the Fuji is the master of the macros.

Wen using the 2x converter (of which there are some stunners on here) are you generally using a tripod??

Took these today from about 10-15mtrs, 1.5x hand held and it was pretty windy. Doesn't prove much except that even Waxwings can suffer a bad hair day.... ;)

Attachments

• IMG_2897.jpg
    IMG_2897.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2908.jpg
    IMG_2908.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_2911.jpg
    IMG_2911.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_2915.jpg
    IMG_2915.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 110
Took the SX40 along with my on my walk yesterday, nothing much about but just spent a few minutes 'cleaning' this shot up. The first shot is the finished image and the second one is the original full frame - all good practice ;)

Attachments

• dun1.jpg
    dun1.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 215
  • dun1_full frame.jpg
    dun1_full frame.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 166
Took the SX40 along with my on my walk yesterday, nothing much about but just spent a few minutes 'cleaning' this shot up. The first shot is the finished image and the second one is the original full frame - all good practice ;)

Nice work Roy,did you have some branch removal to do with your photoshop secateurs.

Last edited:

The first is a lot sharper than the uncropped one. Is that sharpening or just the fact that they have to be so reduced in size to attach?

The first is a lot sharper than the uncropped one. Is that sharpening or just the fact that they have to be so reduced in size to attach?
The full frame is completely unprocessed and just included for reference. The finished cropped image has been selectively sharpened. What the two shots show is that even with a tiny sensor like is on the SX40 the shots will still take a big crop for web images.

Last edited:
The full frame is completely unprocessed and just included for reference. The finished cropped image has been selectively sharpened. What the two shots show is that even with a tiny sensor like is on the SX40 the shots will still take a big crop for web images.

Roy ,Do you use the sharpening filter in photoshop or a plugin like Noise ninja??

Roy ,Do you use the sharpening filter in photoshop or a plugin like Noise ninja??
Bob, I use Topaz DeNoise for Noise reduction (also have Noise Ninja and Neat Image but prefer Topaz). For sharpening I use the built-in photoshop CS5 USM (I also have Topaz detail which I use sometimes). With both noise reduction and sharpening I always do it selectively which means applying it to just the parts of the image (via a layer mask) that I want and not to the whole image.
With noise reduction I almost always run it on the background if only to give a nice bokeh/blur.
For sharpening I often only use the Luminosity Channel.

Bob, I use Topaz DeNoise for Noise reduction (also have Noise Ninja and Neat Image but prefer Topaz). For sharpening I use the built-in photoshop CS5 USM (I also have Topaz detail which I use sometimes). With both noise reduction and sharpening I always do it selectively which means applying it to just the parts of the image (via a layer mask) that I want and not to the whole image.
With noise reduction I almost always run it on the background if only to give a nice bokeh/blur.
For sharpening I often only use the Luminosity Channel.

Yes, there are a few different methods for sharpening are'nt there,I am looking forward to using RAW on my SX50 ,a first for me,I have only used Jpegs up until now.

Yes, there are a few different methods for sharpening are'nt there,I am looking forward to using RAW on my SX50 ,a first for me,I have only used Jpegs up until now.
Do not be disappointed when you first see the RAW files as unlike jpgs there has been no in-camera processing done to them and they will look somewhat flat and unsharpened - unlike a jpeg the RAW's have to be processed. But once you get used to a RAW workflow you can get more out of the files (I cannot even remember the last time I shot my DSLR in jpeg!).

Do not be disappointed when you first see the RAW files as unlike jpgs there has been no in-camera processing done to them and they will look somewhat flat and unsharpened - unlike a jpeg the RAW's have to be processed. But once you get used to a RAW workflow you can get more out of the files (I cannot even remember the last time I shot my DSLR in jpeg!).
Yes,so I gather,I have been reading up on my photoshop/camera raw tutorials.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back