• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SX40 Super Zoom (4 Viewers)

Was in Currys today and they have the SX40HS for £185 as a clearance line.
Not sure if all branches have the offer but worth checking out if you're in the market for one.
Peter

None in my local branch. Anyone seen any around Edinburgh?

Nice to see people still posting some great images. Light (and luck) was pretty good today and managed the following...

AndyM

Attachments

• IMG_3139.jpg
    IMG_3139.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_3141.jpg
    IMG_3141.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_3168a.jpg
    IMG_3168a.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_3179.jpg
    IMG_3179.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 203
AndyM,Great pics. Nice and sharp. Can you please tell me what settings you used and distance from subject.

Sure. No problem. I have the following settings assigned to C2 on the mode dial;

AF Frame: Flexizone
Digital Zoom: Off
Servo AF: On
Continuous AF : On
AF-assist Beam: On
MF-Point Zoom: Off
Safety MF: On
i-Contrast: Off
Spot AE Point: Centre
IS Settings; IS Mode: Continuous; Powered IS: On
Display Area: Small

These are saved via Tv mode with the camera instructed to move to full zoom at power-up with 1/500sec shutter-speed and ISO set to Auto (however, on nice bright sunny days I will simply use Scene mode, HiQ 10fps burst and let the camera decide what's best). Unsurprisingly, all four images were taken using full zoom, hand held at 1/500sec at f.5.8 using Auto ISO! ;)

Approximate distances; Turnstone at c.3m, Redshank at c.25m, Starling at c.15m and Brambling at c.18m. 1.5X converter used for Brambling.

All cropped for composition and mercilessly torn apart using various bits of image enhancement software....

HTH,

AndyM

A few more for anyone soldiering on with the SX40 or considering it as the cheaper option...

AndyM.

Attachments

• IMG_3269.jpg
    IMG_3269.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3370.jpg
    IMG_3370.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_3387a-2.jpg
    IMG_3387a-2.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_3391.jpg
    IMG_3391.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_3395.jpg
    IMG_3395.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 101
Hi Andy some cracking shots there sir,have the SX40 myself had about 5months still finding my way around it bought used had no manual only disc noticed some of your threads so taking them on board. Regards George.

Hi Andy some cracking shots there sir,have the SX40 myself had about 5months still finding my way around it bought used had no manual only disc noticed some of your threads so taking them on board. Regards George.

I bought mine new but that didn't have a manual with it only the disc which I found very annoying having to read everything in PDF format. When I first got it I printed off the first 100+ pages and learnt the basics. Too be honest I've found this thread very good and I've learnt more about the camera here.

Having just bought an SX40HS I've found this thread very interesting and helpful. In fact it influenced me to buy the camera after using a Fuji S8000fd for the last few years.

I used aperture priority, auto iso and auto focus for the attached pics. Still on the learning curve on how to use the camera.

Attachments

• IMG_0093_edited-2.jpg
    IMG_0093_edited-2.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0072_edited-2.jpg
    IMG_0072_edited-2.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0078_edited-2.jpg
    IMG_0078_edited-2.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0062_edited-2.jpg
    IMG_0062_edited-2.jpg
    373 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0053_edited-2.jpg
    IMG_0053_edited-2.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
This morning took this shot of a shellduck on a small island about 100 mtrs away , i used full zoom on my SX40 hs , by full zoom i mean the full 840 mm optical x 4 digital , to my surprise it turned out quite good , i didnt expect too much at that range especially using the x 4 digital as well , strangly the exif 150.5mm, anyway now i dont need to carry extra lenses anymore , this canon sx40 is one cool machine :t:

I have what is probably a dumb question, but what do you mean the 840 optical and a 4x digital? When it says the camera has a 35x optical zoom that is the 840 mm I am guessing. Then where does the 4x digital come from, and does it multiply the optical by 4x?

I have what is probably a dumb question, but what do you mean the 840 optical and a 4x digital? When it says the camera has a 35x optical zoom that is the 840 mm I am guessing. Then where does the 4x digital come from, and does it multiply the optical by 4x?

Woody does says 840 mm in the quote and 840 mm is the maximum focal length that can be reached optically. If you are on auto the digital zoom will also multiply by at least 4x, (I don't find the results much use above about 2x digital zoom though).

It is worth reading Roy C's comments about the effective "actual" maximum focal length on this camera and on zoom lenses in general, whilst not always easy to understand he has has done some tests that show the actual maximum optical zoom is not always anything like as much as 840 mm. One of the effects is that the closer you are to the subject the less the maximum zoom actually is, which can be somewhat awkward when you are photographing birds close up.

Last edited:
Have been following this thread for some time and it helped me decide to buy my sx40hs last summer. I've not had much chance to use it but had fun while in Sri Lanka over Christmas. The bird shots are here http://www.flickr.com/photos/kenturnip/sets/72157632442322014/ but a few of the better ones posted below. All are sharpened. Most were relatively close (20m?). I post the lesser adjutant as this was about 100m away under overcast skies and yet still produces a reasonable image as a record shot.

Thanks for all the advice that has appeared on this thread. I still have a lot to learn. :t:

Ken

Attachments

• bluetail bee eater bf.jpg
    bluetail bee eater bf.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 132
  • adjutant bf.jpg
    adjutant bf.jpg
    431.1 KB · Views: 115
  • yel-bill bab.jpg
    yel-bill bab.jpg
    400.4 KB · Views: 90
  • brown shrike bf.jpg
    brown shrike bf.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 131
  • stonechat 3 bf.jpg
    stonechat 3 bf.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Have been following this thread for some time and it helped me decide to buy my sx40hs last summer. I've not had much chance to use it but had fun while in Sri Lanka over Christmas. The bird shots are here http://www.flickr.com/photos/kenturnip/sets/72157632442322014/ but a few of the better ones posted below. All are sharpened. Most were relatively close (20m?). I post the lesser adjutant as this was about 100m away under overcast skies and yet still produces a reasonable image as a record shot.

Thanks for all the advice that has appeared on this thread. I still have a lot to learn. :t:

Ken

Beautiful shots Ken , especially love the Bee-Eater, nicely composed shot.

Ian

These shots were taken at RSPB Fairburn Ings, in decent weather.

I'm happy with the turnout, and continue to be impressed by this camera's capabilities.

Attachments

• Nuthatch 1.jpg
    Nuthatch 1.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 101
  • Bullfinch 1.jpg
    Bullfinch 1.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 118
  • Treecreeper 1.jpg
    Treecreeper 1.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 86
  • Tree Sparrow 1.jpg
    Tree Sparrow 1.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 90
  • Long-tailed Tit 2.jpg
    Long-tailed Tit 2.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 92
I bought this camera based largely on the posts in this thread, and have been trying it for about 2 weeks. I'm very happy with it, I'm able to take great shots close up as well as document birds that are very far away.

Here's a few samples: A mourning dove, pintail and white-winged crossbill close in good light, a hidden long-eared owl and a distant glaucous gull under clouds.

Attachments

• dove.JPG
    dove.JPG
    347.3 KB · Views: 95
  • pintail.JPG
    pintail.JPG
    419.9 KB · Views: 89
  • crossbill.JPG
    crossbill.JPG
    336.8 KB · Views: 92
  • owl.JPG
    owl.JPG
    452.5 KB · Views: 100
  • gull.JPG
    gull.JPG
    314.7 KB · Views: 91
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back