• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Taiga Bean Geese?? (Estonia) (1 Viewer)

Hippolais

Luca Boscain
Hi, two days ago I photographed these Been Geese in Tallinn that were slightly larger than the White-fronted Geese: can they be Taiga ones??

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 48
Just returned from a week in Estonia. Plenty of Tundras everywhere although we had 2 good candidates for Taiga at Audru Polder as well as a Pink-footed Goose (quite rare)

Just returned from a week in Estonia. Plenty of Tundras everywhere although we had 2 good candidates for Taiga at Audru Polder as well as a Pink-footed Goose (quite rare)
I've read that Taigas should be about a third of all the Bean Geese observed in Estonia: do they migrate later in the season?

I've read that Taigas should be about a third of all the Bean Geese observed in Estonia: do they migrate later in the season?
The impression I was given is that they are much rarer than that and they have been widely misidentified in the past so are likely overestimated.

I've read that Taigas should be about a third of all the Bean Geese observed in Estonia
That is far too high a percentage. In Lithuania at least, and I believe in southern Finland, the vast majority of Beans are Tundra. And since they are all the same birds migrating through, Estonia is going to be the same.

Ok, I understand... Is there a place in Europe where Taiga Bean Geese are the commonest ones?
In these photos the first bird on the left sounds with a longer neck than the other two: again variation among the serrirostris??

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 17
No opinions about the last 3 photos, please?? Here as well there are longer and shorter necks...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Hello Luca,

even in the main wintering area of Taiga Bean Goose in Germany, the lower Oder valley, Tundra BG outnumbers Taiga on many/nearly most times and places.
Do you know excellent paper by Thomas Heinecke?https://www.dda-web.de/downloads/te...l_saat_kurzschnabelgans_in_ostdeutschland.pdf Its in german, but it has a distribution map of Taiga BG

All birds in your posts 9 and 10 look like Tundra BG to me.
Thank you Alexander, from what I can understand (I can't speak any German), the majority of the winter population of fabalis is in Germany and Sweden. Interesting since in Italy it was never reported and I keep hoping in see them once and now I know where most of them are!
Cheers

Thank you Alexander, from what I can understand (I can't speak any German), the majority of the winter population of fabalis is in Germany and Sweden. Interesting since in Italy it was never reported and I keep hoping in see them once and now I know where most of them are!
Cheers
In the Netherlands Taiga Bean Goose has been less than annual in recent years. The numbers in the German article for the Netherlands in 1998-2003 seem much exaggerated and would not stand up to current scrutiny. In the 2000s, there was only one reliable flock which I managed to dip a couple of times (I did the same in Norfolk in the UK...).
Note that it is now so rare in the Netherlands that only "classic" individuals would make the cut – and not all of the birds photographed in Germany this year (on ornitho.de) would fit the bill either.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back