• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tardebigge Reservoir and Surrounds (2 Viewers)

Gert Corfield

United Kingdom
I’ve been meaning to start a thread for this small feeder reservoir for the Worcester and Birmingham Canal as it was my local patch for nearly 15 years. The OS map reference is SO98580 68435, but local birders will know it well. I still make regular visits so hopefully more posts to come. I’m aware that it is watched by others so would be good for others to post any sightings as well.

The ’Surrounds’ bit is fairly wide - up to St Bartholomew’s Church (location of fairly regular Hawfinch sightings), down to Finstall Park - the network of fields and footpaths behind Bromsgrove Rugby Club and areas in between - eg the fields around Finch End Farm leading to the canal and Patchetts Farm. There are no precise boundaries but I’d say a mile or so radius to keep it relevant for this general location.

I’ve replicated my Birdtrack list of the sightings over the years below giving a fairly decent 116 species and this is by no means exclusive. For example a Garganey was present in 2010 and I’m sure there are other sightings to add to these.

Anyway, hope it’s of interest and what may be common elsewhere can be rare here - for example Yellowhammer, Lapwing and Curlew - so any sightings are of interest for this general area.

Cheers

Gert

1661703560550.png

I’ve been meaning to start a thread for this small feeder reservoir for the Worcester and Birmingham Canal as it was my local patch for nearly 15 years. The OS map reference is SO98580 68435, but local birders will know it well. I still make regular visits so hopefully more posts to come. I’m aware that it is watched by others so would be good for others to post any sightings as well.

The ’Surrounds’ bit is fairly wide - up to St Bartholomew’s Church (location of fairly regular Hawfinch sightings), down to Finstall Park - the network of fields and footpaths behind Bromsgrove Rugby Club and areas in between - eg the fields around Finch End Farm leading to the canal and Patchetts Farm. There are no precise boundaries but I’d say a mile or so radius to keep it relevant for this general location.

I’ve replicated my Birdtrack list of the sightings over the years below giving a fairly decent 116 species and this is by no means exclusive. For example a Garganey was present in 2010 and I’m sure there are other sightings to add to these.

Anyway, hope it’s of interest and what may be common elsewhere can be rare here - for example Yellowhammer, Lapwing and Curlew - so any sightings are of interest for this general area.

Cheers

Gert

View attachment 1465786
Hi Gert, had a Reed Warbler on canal 20/6/2010 also Grey Partridge High House Lane 5/5/1992

Thanks Alan - Grey Partridge is probably unlikely now so a great record. I know there's a farm breeding them near Alvechurch but the chances of them dispersing far is probably slim.
I guess Reed Warbler unlikely to linger unless Reed gets more established in the area.

I'll add both to a master list to get an overall species list going.

39 Species recorded this morning, highlights being a Kingfisher at lock 42, a late Swift over St Bartholomew’s Church, 70 plus House Martin from High House Lane over fields, a Common Sandpiper to the reservoir where water levels are quite low - also Little Egret.

2 Hawfinch showing well at St Bartholomew’s Church. Usual location to the top of the two tallest trees left of church when viewed from the car park. Also single Brambling with Chaffinch

Cheers

Gert

View attachment 1465786
Hi Gert, Spotted Flycatcher last week Tardebigge Church in one of the Yew trees

A visit this morning in the rain. List copied from my BirdTrack records on the sightings below;

52 Canada Goose (Branta canadensis)
1 Moorhen (Gallinula chloropus)
2 Coot (Fulica atra)
2 Great Crested Grebe (Podiceps cristatus)
40 Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
3 Herring Gull (Larus argentatus)
5 Lesser Black-backed Gull (Larus fuscus)
2 Grey Heron (Ardea cinerea)
Jackdaw (Coloeus monedula)
Carrion Crow (Corvus corone)
3 Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus)
3 Great Tit (Parus major)
Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes)
Starling (Sturnus vulgaris)
c20 Redwing (Turdus iliacus)
2 Blackbird (Turdus merula)
c50 Fieldfare (Turdus pilaris)
Robin (Erithacus rubecula)
1 Grey Wagtail (Motacilla cinerea)
1 Pied Wagtail (yarrellii) (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
c20 Meadow Pipit (Anthus pratensis)
4 Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs)
1 Goldfinch (Carduelis carduelis)

This morning's lacklustre WeBS count was as follows:

18 Mallard
7 Tufted Duck
4 Moorhen
2 Great Crested Grebe
27 Black-Headed Gull

2023 has hardly been a vintage year for WeBS counts due to extremely high water levels coinciding with the core count dates. For the first time in three years I failed to record Common Tern during the summer months, or any wader species, having seen Lapwing, Curlew and Green Sandpiper in previous years. On the plus side, I found a Pied Flycatcher in trees adjacent to the reservoir back in April and finally saw a Kingfisher during a count. Hopefully 2024 brings more favourable conditions.

Chris

Hi Chris
Did any Great Crested Grebes nest? I used to see Goosander and the occasional Goldeneye, but only early doors. Great find with the Pied Flycatcher!

Hi Gert,

Yes, surprisingly one pair of grebes hatched two young which were first seen in June, however by the next count in July neither of the chicks were to be seen. I've recorded Goosander but yet to see Goldeneye at the res- perhaps I'll have to get out earlier in future!

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back