• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tayforth Birding (1 Viewer)

Quite a large gaggle of geese on Morton' Loch this afternoon not sure what they were as just saw them from road and they were near top hide, no binoculars with us

Birnie and Gaddon

Took a quick stroll around the lochs just before lunchtime. Sun beaming down out of a clear blue sky this time, but still no American Wigeon. Looks like it has moved on. Not wasted time however, as I found my first Treecreeper of the year. I also took a drive by Angle Park and picked up another year tick with a couple of Shovelor.

Alert came in today about Hawfinch at Kilmany. Toying with the idea of running out that way tomorrow to see if they have hung about. Might widen the search for the American also by taking in some of the other lochs in the area e.g Letham, Montcastle, Wilderness etc.

Quite a large gaggle of geese on Morton' Loch this afternoon not sure what they were as just saw them from road and they were near top hide, no binoculars with us

Two hundred Greylags reported there yesterday with eighteen Canada. Quite possibly the birds you saw today.

Thanks Gander, that be them, wonder what you think of work done along burn side which has been opened up recently all along the back, this has opened up to let frost in, before this water was kept open by the scrub trees along the edge and wildfowl went in there when main loch was frozen over, thought they were supposed to help wildlife, a few ago they cleared all the gorse out of the area where cattle roam and destroyed any chance of smaller birds nesting, maybe I'm getting old and need to moan.

Thanks Gander, that be them, wonder what you think of work done along burn side which has been opened up recently all along the back, this has opened up to let frost in, before this water was kept open by the scrub trees along the edge and wildfowl went in there when main loch was frozen over, thought they were supposed to help wildlife, a few ago they cleared all the gorse out of the area where cattle roam and destroyed any chance of smaller birds nesting, maybe I'm getting old and need to moan.

I've not been along there since autumn time last year. I know there were some concerns about the loch attracting less birds as it had become too closed in. Not sure if that is maybe what they are trying to address. Next time I'm in the area, i'll have to pop in and take a look.

Kilmany, Letham pools, Mountcastle and Clatto

Started the day off at Kilmany. I arrived in the village at quarter past eight, and quickly located the park where Hawfinch was sighted yesterday. Weather was bright and clear, with a touch of frost. Leaving the car, I found the path that runs along side the park, where an old railway line used to be. The path was well bordered by mature trees from the branches of which many birds were singing. Blackbird, Robin, and wren were well represented, but the dominant presence was that of Chaffinch. I scanned the treetops for Hawfinch, but there was no sign. I did find a single male Bullfinch though that I got a few nice pictures of (see attached).

As I moved down the path, a woodpecker drummed nearby. Five minutes later, I sighted what was probably the drummer and definitely my first Great Spotted Woodpecker of the year. With no sniff of a Hawfinch, I decided to head off to my next site.

By nine o'clock, I was pulling into the side of the road that runs between the Letham pools. The first thing that became obvious were Geese. There was a flock of Greylag, sixty eight strong on the field between the main A92 road and the south pool. But that was nothing compared to the one thousand plus Pink-Footed Geese in the field to the east of the north pool. Also present among the Greylag, was a single strange looking goose that appears to be a Barnacle x Greylag hybrid (Is that two ticks or none???)

On the waters themselves, it was pretty quiet with Mute swan, Teal, Wigeon, Goldeneye, Mallard, Tufted Duck, Coot and Moorhen making up the numbers. A handful of BHG cruised the margins, and a LBBG stood on a fence post out in the middle of the north pool.

In the field a little west of the P-F geese, a flock of over one hundred Lapwing were the only waders present, except for a flock of ten Curlew that flew over.

One of my targets today was to try and find the American Wigeon that had been at the nearby Gaddon Loch just over a week ago. With that in mind, I decided to make another quick change of site. This time I headed to the adjacent Mountcastle sand pits. Parking at the main gate off the A92, I headed into the wooded surrounds of the handful of lochs that make up the old Mountcastle quarry workings. In among the Birch and Alder, I started adding birds to the list, with Coal Tit and Blue Tit being new entries, with the Great Tit count also increasing. A Dunnock also became a first for the day, and soon after, a pair of Reed Bunting were entered into my notebook. Chaffinch were again very evident.

As I moved around one of the waters, I bumped into an older gentleman who advised me that there were Siskin about. It was evident from the way he spoke that he was an experienced birder, so I set off with a new target. I found no Siskin, but as I headed back along the path I had taken, I found the fellow birder again. This time I had a longer chat with him, and he revealed that he was netting and ringing birds in the area for the BTO. He took me along to his net, just a little way away, and we found a female Chaffinch that was duly ringed and released.

I headed off now in another direction. Out of the woodland and across some grassland, to inspect the occupants of some of the smaller pools in that direction. The wildfowl count increased, but the only new list addition was a Little Grebe.

Returning to where I had started, I again found the BTO rep. This time, as we chatted, he picked up the sound of Siskin coming from a stand of Alder. We headed that way, passing his empty net. No Siskin were found, but we did locate a Bullfinch, and then a Goldcrest. My new comrade could no longer here the Siskins. All I'd heard were Chaffinch, but as we returned to the net, his hearing was vindicated as there nestling in the folds of the mesh was a lovely Siskin - a year tick for me, as indeed was the Goldcrest. With the Siskin ringed and released I bade farewell to my fellow birder and headed back to the car.

Ten minutes or so latter leaving Mountcastle, I parked up at the Wilderness. It was very quiet there. No bird song, little on the water and only a few Lapwing on the grassy areas. I headed off after ten minutes and made for my final site of the day.

Arriving at Clatto Reservoir, I found this water also fairly quiet. I spent an hour walking and scanning. New to the list were a bunch of forty strong Common Gulls, a Herring Gull, a couple of Tree Sparrow and lastly, a fly over by a pair of Pied Wagtail. With the temperature dropping, I decided to call it a day.

No Hawfinch and no American Wigeon, but still a really good day.

Attachments

• P1010607.jpg
    P1010607.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 51
  • P1010614.jpg
    P1010614.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 55
  • P1010615.jpg
    P1010615.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 58
  • P1010617.jpg
    P1010617.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Barnyards Marsh, then blown away.

I dropped my eldest off near Kilconquhar this morning for a horse riding session. I then set off on for for the little Barnyards Marsh Nature Reserve on the outskirts of Kilconquhar. Arriving at about ten, I set of into the marsh with a view to finding a Jack Snipe.

The reeds and grasses were long dead, lying in limp brown clumps. Hardly a few yards into the marsh, and a bird took off in front of me with no call. It flew straight and low for a short distance, then dived down into another area of winter die back. My first bird listed was a Jack Snipe; my main target. But, could I find more? I pushed on further into the marsh, following little tracks between the tussocks. Birds started exploding out of grasses in front of me, sometimes in twos or threes. Nearly all made a call as they took to the air. All, unlike my first bird, gained height and zig zagged away into the distance, over the surrounding fields. My the time I had made it to the far side of the marsh, I had counted seventeen Snipe to add to the single Jack.

At this point, I have to thank Stonefaction for showing me the difference, at Riverside Park during the Autumn Bash, between the way Snipe and Jack Snipe behave when flushed. Thanks mate. :t:

Also listed in the Barnyards Marsh area were Buzzard, Jackdaw, Woodpigeon, Herring Gull, Carrion Crow, Tree Sparrow, Greenfinch (first of the year) and Great Tit.

Leaving the marsh behind, I had just entered the grounds where my eldest was riding, when I heard a noisy commotion in the tops of the mature trees that lined the access road. My initial thought was Waxwing, but I was not disappointed when my binoculars revealed the noisy flock as being Redwing (why are they called Redwing, when the red is on their flanks?), another first sighting of the year. The 25+ strong flock soon moved away, but I had hardly gone a few more yards, when I found another year first in a Mistle Thrush, upright and boldly hopping across a grassy area.

Having picked up my charge, we headed the short distance in the car to Shell Bay, where we parked up. The tide was well out, so we headed off for Ruddons Point. Well, it would have been rude not too! I realised my tactical mistake as soon as I left the car though. The wind here, was blasting down Largo Bay and across Ruddons Point and Shell Bay. The sea was rough with white capped waves in abundance. Once out on the point, I found a couple of groups of Scoters out in the churned up waters. One at least revealed itself to be a Velvet Scoter, with a flap of its wings showing off the white wing bars.

I set up the tripod and scope, but it was hopeless. The birds were disappearing in and out of the waves, while the scope and I, were rocking as I received a buffeting by the strong gusts. My hope had been to find Divers/Grebes, but it was obvious that it wasn't going to happen. We headed back.

On the way home, we dived into Lower Largo, but although a little more sheltered there, a quick scan revealed nothing.

Never mind, there is always next time! But next time I'll check the wind speed forecast.

As Ruddons Point WeBS counter I know only too well that it's terrible in a strong wind! The brents were in the field at Kincaple yesterday afternoon btw.

Rob

As Ruddons Point WeBS counter I know only too well that it's terrible in a strong wind! The brents were in the field at Kincaple yesterday afternoon btw.

Hi Rob,
Have you come across the Whimbrel that has wintered at Ruddons Point.

I'll maybe have another go for the Brents next week. Thanks for that.

Paul, you asked "why are they called Redwings, when the red is on the flanks?".

Only a little of the red is actually on the flanks, the rest of it is on the underwing, hence the name. See the rather poor attached photo.

Attachments

• 5065285656_5c5248d34b_z.jpg
    5065285656_5c5248d34b_z.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 66
Another place to try for the Brents is Balgove Bay (the bay west of Out Head). There is a hide on the golf course overlooking the bay. Park at the driving range car park and head west along track for about 15-20 minutes which will eventually take you to the western end of the golf course. The hide has a combination padlock on the door (which is harder to close up afterwards than it is to open). I can PM you the code if you want. You can sometimes see the geese out on the mud, but it is best to be in the hide as the tide is on its way in, bringing the birds closer to you. They can also be viewed from the edge of the golf course, but the hide is probably the best bet.

Hi Rob,
Have you come across the Whimbrel that has wintered at Ruddons Point.

I'll maybe have another go for the Brents next week. Thanks for that.

Yes, it is not terribly reliable though. Best bet is high tide when it roosts on what becomes an island with the curlews etc.
It must be knocking on a bit by now (one winter there were 2)!

Rob

Another place to try for the Brents is Balgove Bay (the bay west of Out Head). There is a hide on the golf course overlooking the bay. Park at the driving range car park and head west along track for about 15-20 minutes which will eventually take you to the western end of the golf course. The hide has a combination padlock on the door (which is harder to close up afterwards than it is to open). I can PM you the code if you want. You can sometimes see the geese out on the mud, but it is best to be in the hide as the tide is on its way in, bringing the birds closer to you. They can also be viewed from the edge of the golf course, but the hide is probably the best bet.

Thanks Barry. Code will be good. Tides not looking great for when I'm free next week, but I'm sure I'll use it in the future. And I see what you mean with the Redwing. :t:

Chasing Geese

I wasn't planning on any birding today, but when I picked up a Fife alert, in the late afternoon, for both Eurasian and Greenland White-fronted Geese, I soon found myself heading across Fife for Letham Pools. The report had stated that there were an Eurasian and a Greenland mixed in to a flock of well over one thousand Pink-Footed Geese.

I arrived at the pools; driving in the back way from Bow of Fife. The P-F Geese were not where I'd left them a few days ago, but rather, they were well north of the north pool, spread across a grassy field that lies across the top of a low rise.

With the light starting to fade early due to heavy cloud, I hurriedly set up the scope and started scanning. The flock was sizeable, but was not near the quoted one thousand, one hundred plus figure. Some of the geese were huddled together, others I could just see the heads of as they looked over the top of the rise. First scans completed, I started a count to try and make sure I looked individually at each bird. My count finished at eight hundred, but revealed nothing that did not look like a Pink-Footed Goose.

Seconds after my count finished, something disturbed the flock. They rose en mass into the air, then descended into the field over the rise. They left me shivering in the cold wind, with nothing but a couple of Coots and a handful of Herring Gulls for company. I considered crossing the fields to look down over the rise, but decided that it was too open and I would only end up disturbing them.

This had been my first proper twitch; responding instantly to an alert. I'd blanked, bombed out, or should I say dipped.

May try again tomorrow, although Saturday's are always difficult for time.

Gaddon Loch

Took my youngest out this afternoon. With the weather threatening rain, I wasn't sure where to head, so eventually I decided to start at Letham pools and take it from there. The possibility of W-F Geese also had some bearing.

The pools were very quiet. As quiet as I've ever seen them. The small flock of Greylag are still there, but the big flock of Pink-Footed were nowhere to be seen; leaving only a couple of stragglers with the Greylag. The Greylag I'm told are all feral. I'll now need to work out how to tell the difference. More homework!

With the weather still threatening a downpour at any moment, I decided on a site where we wouldn't be far from the car. Birnie and Gaddon Lochs fitted the bill, so we made the short hop across and set out around Gaddon. My eleven year old had never seen a Bullfinch yet, so that was the prime target, as I knew there were plenty in the vicinity.

All was fairly quiet at Gaddon, with little moving in the trees and bushes. We did however find our first Yellowhammer of the year. Moving around the loch side path, we approached some feeders containing peanuts. Bust pecking away on one of them was a female Siskin. A first for my son.

We followed the path up the hill towards the railway line, and it was at the summit, that we found our prime target. Five wonderful Bullfinch were busy inspecting a path side bush. My charge had clear views and was suitably impressed.

Spitting with rain now, we marched on round the loch back towards the car park. Shortly before the path rejoined the path that dissects the two lochs, I found a bird I was not expecting. Our first Barnacle Goose. I double checked to make sure it was not the hybrid I'd seen at Letham a few days ago, but this one looked good for Barnacle to me, despite also hanging about with more Greylag.

We reached the car just as the rain started to get heavier. Timing is everything!

Attachments

• P1010637.jpg
    P1010637.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 54
  • P1010639.jpg
    P1010639.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 58
  • P1010644.jpg
    P1010644.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 64
  • P1010646.jpg
    P1010646.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 62
It seems you gave your son a good day out Paul. It's a long time since I've been to Gaddon and Birnie Lochs. A nice place that.

Oystercatchers have arrived in town today, heard them calling on the way to rescue my forgotten credit card.... ooops!!!

For the first time, since I came here about 20 years ago, there's been a Song Thrush singing in the big tree in our complex. And one has been coming to feed in my garden too. that's quite unusual, but becoming a bit more regular this last year. Hope this means their numbers are improving round here.

For the first time, since I came here about 20 years ago, there's been a Song Thrush singing in the big tree in our complex. And one has been coming to feed in my garden too. that's quite unusual, but becoming a bit more regular this last year. Hope this means their numbers are improving round here.

We had a few Song Thrush counted at the platform this year. First time that I can remember seeing them there.

Blanking all over Fife.

Not a bird watching day today, but I had other business in St Andrews, so I did dive into the Eden Centre this morning, but only for 5 mins. No sign of the Brents.

Tried the field opposite the Kincaple turning, but blanked there too. Tried the field on the way back this afternoon. Blanked again.

Cut across to Letham pools on the way back, with W-F geese in mind. Found the P-F Geese flock in residence and fairly close to the road. Blanked on the W-F Geese.

Alert had come in yesterday about Waxwing just around the corner from Letham at Mountcastle. Pulled in there and found a birder I have bumped into before. Turns out he had put in the alert yesterday. Waxwings had been there 15 mins earlier, but had now gone. I wandered into the woodland around the big loch, then came back. I wasn't away 5 mins. The other birder was still there. You just missed them again he informed me. I hung around as long as I dare (wife waiting in car). I blanked.

Headed to Seafield this afternoon for an hour, always hopeful of a diver turning up. I blanked.

Roll on springtime!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back