• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Teesside International Nature Reserve (2 Viewers)

Hi Steve,

I was in the hide just for an hour last night.

Water Rail are still there, along with Snipe, Little Egret, Ruff amd Greenshank. A young Sparrowhawk was hanging around the car park plus a Yellow Wagtail. Four Kestrel about too. No Owls though.

I'm almost certain a Least Sandpiper was on Back Saltholme on the first small pond to the right of the straight track along with a Wood Sand. Not 100% on the ID though as waders aren't a strong point with me.

Bowesfield Nature Reserve is fairly new in terms of being a reserve. I thinks it's the bit they wanted to use for water sports but it became a reserve instead. I've scanned it from the bridge a few times, without much doing, but I haven't seen the Ruddy Shelduck yet - most likely tomorrow night if they're still around.

Saw the WH Duck on Saltholme east along with another Little Egret.

Hi Stevie/Ian

Are the ecl Garganey on Dormans, by any chance? I've been puzzling over a duck I saw there last weekend and now realise what it might have been.

Paul and I had the juv RN Grebe down at Hartlepool on Saturday morning, a real stunner, close in, nice red neck and the black striping on the face. It was a county bird for both of us as well!

Cheers, Plaxtonman

Plaxton

Yeah, Garganeys on Dormans.
Very distict head pattern, also when seen close enough the bill is completely different shape.

We Missed the RNG- need it Co Yr Tick......

Ste.

Ps. Plaxtonman, Were you the guy with Paul C. on Lindisfarne this spring when we found the Garganey pair on the Lough ?

Last edited:
IanF said:
I'm almost certain a Least Sandpiper was on Back Saltholme on the first small pond to the right of the straight track along with a Wood Sand. Not 100% on the ID though as waders aren't a strong point with me.
What did you get on it Ian? There's certainly plenty of waders in the UK from the colonies at the moment.

StevieEvans said:
Plaxton

Ps. Plaxtonman, Were you the guy with Paul C. on Lindisfarne this spring when we found the Garganey pair on the Lough ?

No Stevie, someone else had taken him out of his cage that day!

Popped down for an hour this evening. A SEO was showing very well for about half an hour in the main sat on a fence post in between hunting attempts. It was definitely a very juvenile bird with the primaries and secondaries very undeveloped not to mention the body being very fluffy looking.

Spotted Redshank also on back right of Back Saltholme from the Causeway.

I couldn't spot any Merlin though two have been seen today on Back Saltholme. Something kept putting up the Lapwing and waders but I couldn't spot what it was.

Hen Harrier was spotted on the Calor Gas pond this morning along with Green Sandpiper. Apparently up to three Little Egret are roosting in Rossmere Park, Hartlepool most nights, where one over-wintered.

Ian
heard there were 4seo on side of tip at Cowpen Marsh (thought to poss be 2ad's & 2juv's)......I wouldnt have thought that a family party would still be intact if they'd come down off the fells ? adds strength to the locally bred thoughts......but....

The Male, female & 1 notably 'white flecked' juvenile Merlin have perhaps done that though... ?

Hope to get down tonight to try to catch up with that Hen Harrier, need it as County Yr tick.

SE

I may see you down there then, I was going for a closer look at the one behind the Fire Station. I 'think' I saw the Hen Harrier this morning over Cowpen Marsh between Holme Fleet and the Fire Station roundabout. By the time I'd got parked up it had soared too high and headed over towards the tip - I'm not ticking it though until I get a better look.

Nice meeting you Steve :t:

BTW No sign of any owls but The 'Harrier' was over the NE corner of the tip from Holme Fleet and made off towards Greatham being mobbed by gulls. Definitely a Harrier, but from that distance it could have been either.

I'll let you know if I catch up with it again.

Attachments

• DSCN2143ao.jpg
    DSCN2143ao.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 163
  • DSCN2170a_filtered.jpg
    DSCN2170a_filtered.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
We only managed 1 Shortie hunting up the creek at @ 9PM, despite a good check.
Very little else of note 3 Whimbrel & 2-3 Greenshank, the LRP family (fledged)
The 3 egrets flew off Greenabella & headed exactly in the direction you said!

Hope the Harrier stays around, next planned visit is Wednesday evening.
I will re-schedule at a half a min's notice though..... ;)

Nice to have met you too Ian.
See you again.
SE.

I thought i was soaked untill we stopped to pick up a Polish hitch-hiker on the A19.
8 hours of constant rain & he was still smiling..........

5-6 Black Terns this evening, Dor,Rec,BkSalt with 3-4 Little Gulls also.
5 Common Sand flying around Rec Pond. Wood Sand BKSalt. Ad W.Rail Dormns.

SE.

Autumn is here
Dormans (Heavy Rain)
8 Black Tern & 3 Little Gull, 10 Common Sand. Peregrine nearby.

Seaton Snook (Heavy Rain)
Icterine Warbler, 10+ Pied Fly, 2 Spotted Fly, Cuckoo, 3 Whinchat, 5 Whimbrels.

Hartlepool (Heavy Rain)
Booted Warbler, Garden Warbler, 6+Pied Fly, 2Willow Warbler, 4Whinchat, 2Wheatear, juv Cuckoo, 2Whitethroat.

SE

Hi Stevie, I admire your fortitude, yes it has been heavy rain today, thats a really good list, congrats, must get out tommorrow!! ;)

Stevie, Did we see you last night? Paul and I got the Booted and the Icterine (Booted in shrubs directly opposite the entrance to the Jewish cemetery, we thought). I was distinctive as was wearing my bush-rangers hat! Anyone else recognise us?

Plaxtonman

Plax
4 birders oppisite entrance to J.Cem last night, one was Mr D.C.
I was probably more distinctive than you as most birders dont turn out in an all in one waterproof suit & LWB Transit pick up. ;)
The warbler which we saw 'there' was a Willow warbler.
Only found the Booted after 1.5+ hours on the far side of the embankment at the north end near the railway line, where it showed down to 4metres.
SE

Stevie

We were leaving just as you were arriving then, we passed your van at the entrance to the cemetery. Yes, it was a difficult one, Paul and I are convinced we had it opposite the entrance but then lost it, and after 45 minutes another warbler came out which was behaving in a different way (presumably the Willow W). Could I ask, how prominent was the supercilium on the example you saw?

And who is Mr DC?!

Steve

Spotted Sandpiper

Steve
I'll send you a PM re above.

Ian
Thought i might have seen you at Back Saltholme this evening....?
Unfortunately i didnt manage to spot the sanpiper ;) beaten by the light.
Very frustrating when you know people on the other bankside are watching it & giving instructions via mobile phones...!
Its a full summer one, also 25 Black Terns.

Going to try again in the morning, fingers crossed.
I said on Sunday that my next planned visit was Wednesday...should have stuck to that idea & i'd have probably been on time.

S

Hi Steve,

I was down, but earlier in the evening and only along a very foggy Zinc Works Road. I've been lousy with cold the last couple of days so I didn't stay long. It's shifting so I may be down tonight instead.

Tried for the Spotsand this morning, No luck. (06:00-08:00)
Some good birds about though.
Dormans
several Black Terns
Kingfisher
juvvy Water Rail
Green Sand
7 Common Sand
1 Little Stint
1 Garganey (nr hide)

Long Drag
4 Common Sand
2 Ruff
1 Whinchat
Ruddy Duck with 3 tiny young.

Back Salt
2 Common Sands & 1Little Stint

Gonna Try again later as theres still a lot of Common Sands about this afternoon.
SE

I just tried Back Saltholme this evening.

Several Common Sand and a Spotted Redshank in summer plumage. Quite a few Ruff and Dunlin until something scattered them and a Little Egret on the south east corner.

Short eared Owl towards rear Fire Station.

Around 7.15 pm there was another SEO on the roadside fence by brine field and the No '4' pipe marker. It flew when I stopped but landed around 120 yards away and I grabbed a couple of shots before the light totally went. Not too bad considering the 1/8th sec exposure!

Attachments

• DSCN2292a_filtered.jpg
    DSCN2292a_filtered.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 120
  • DSCN2303a_filtered.jpg
    DSCN2303a_filtered.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 149
  • DSCN2322a_filtered.jpg
    DSCN2322a_filtered.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 125
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back