• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Banner Cloud MS ED 6x30 Binocular ?? (1 Viewer)

gcole

United States
I came across these recently online. Is this the APM 6x30 except with some type of ED glass ? Sure looks like the APM’s twin. I found these on Skyroveroptics.com, we tried to order a pair but the websites payer section is offline. Is this legit or scam ???

I came across these recently online. Is this the APM 6x30 except with some type of ED glass ? Sure looks like the APM’s twin. I found these on Skyroveroptics.com, we tried to order a pair but the websites payer section is offline. Is this legit or scam ???
After doing some more research on these binoculars, we just ordered a pair from Sky Rover Optics for $199 shipped. We had a pair of APM 6x30 non Ed for a short period before passing them to another member here who really likes them, a 6x porro we really did not need but again out of curiosity we wanted to check out the Sky Rover Banner Cloud ED 6x30. The company in China under this name is located in Kunming City Yunnan. The APM non ED version seems to be the exact twin of the Sky Rover ED 6x30 and since I can find no other 6x30 that looks the same with similar spec’s, I am assuming they are manufactured from the same company. Can anyone here add any more info about the two possibly being the same binocular ?.

Last edited:
We had a pair of APM 6x30 non Ed for a short period before passing them to another member here who really likes them, a 6x porro we really did not need but again out of curiosity we wanted to check out the Sky Rover Banner Cloud ED 6x30. The company in China under this name is located in Kunming City Yunnan.
AFAIK the APM is made by the same manufacturer.
The APM non ED version seems to be the exact twin of the Sky Rover ED 6x30 and since I can find no other 6x30 that looks the same with similar spec’s, I am assuming they are manufactured from the same company. Can anyone here add any more info about the two possibly being the same binocular ?.
I assume these binoculars are exactly the same. And I mean exactly. IOW, I doubt there's any "ED glass" in the "Sky Rover". First of all, a traditional 6x30 porro doesn't need any ED glass, and the APM doesn't show any CA I can see. And the term "ED" isn't defined anywhere. It's a marketing term, no more and no less, especially when used by one of the lesser known manufacturers.

Hermann

AFAIK the APM is made by the same manufacturer.

I assume these binoculars are exactly the same. And I mean exactly. IOW, I doubt there's any "ED glass" in the "Sky Rover". First of all, a traditional 6x30 porro doesn't need any ED glass, and the APM doesn't show any CA I can see. And the term "ED" isn't defined anywhere. It's a marketing term, no more and no less, especially when used by one of the lesser known manufacturers.

Hermann
On the Sky Rover’s site they do reference that these do have ED Glass and on the binoculars themselves on the front right top barrel ED is printed in Red letters. What type of glass they consider to be ED if any, that’s another topic to be discussed. I read on Cloudy Nights, that the APM owner said they did not have their version of their 6x30 to include any kind of ED glass because they thought it was not necessary due to its porro design having 6x power.

On the Sky Rover’s site they do reference that these do have ED Glass and on the binoculars themselves on the front right top barrel ED is printed in Red letters. What type of glass they consider to be ED if any, that’s another topic to be discussed. I read on Cloudy Nights, that the APM owner said they did not have their version of their 6x30 to include any kind of ED glass because they thought it was not necessary due to its porro design having 6x power.
Interesting, now I see that Amazon has the same ED 6x30 binoculars being sold under the name Manluu for $375. The Amazon binoculars, including the accessories (pictures) look exactly like Sky Rovers except the name on the Amazon’s binoculars is blacked out.

Also notice the photos show both 6x30 and 8x30 magnifications.

Does this mean the APM 8x30 prototype has finally been manufactured by a different company?

Also notice the photos show both 6x30 and 8x30 magnifications.

Does this mean the APM 8x30 prototype has finally been manufactured by a different company?
I have been following this topic on the Cloudy Nights forum for years, since the owner of APM optics first announced he was testing prototypes of the 6x/8 ED power versions to be brought to market. When they finally did offer them for sale, the 6x. version was decided not to be offered with any kind of special ED glass because of their increase in cost over the non ED and that the ED glass in their tested prototypes, in his opinion really added no value in the view optically to the end user. I am going by memory now but I believe it was mentioned that APM’s manufacturing source of their prototypes is the same manufacture as the Sky Rover’s. The only difference is, the Sky Rover version of their 6x are available with some ED glass. So to your question, it seems that they all are being sourced from the same manufacture. My 6x Sky Rover ED version has been shipped, when it arrives I will post a few pictures. Hopefully I will get a good specimen, this is the first Bino I have ordered directly from China.

Last edited:
The 8x30 is available for quite a while now from Orion.
I see they are now on sale for $170. at the Orion site. Many sellers are now selling both the 8x as well as the 6x30 non ED and ED versions. Depending on where the end user decides to purchase these, there seems to be a $20 to $30 difference on what one has to pay. I ordered my pair of the 6x power direct from Sky Rover from China because at the time, I saw no US seller offering these with ED glass. This also was the cheapest place to purchase a 6x pair.

Last edited:
If it matters from what I can see, the purchase of either the 6x/8 version Direct from Sky Rover (China) the soft carry case is black not olive green which is included with the other sellers I see online.

Interesting, now I see that Amazon has the same ED 6x30 binoculars being sold under the name Manluu for $375. The Amazon binoculars, including the accessories (pictures) look exactly like Sky Rovers except the name on the Amazon’s binoculars is blacked out.
I see now Amazon has increased their price to $414. If bought direct from Sky Rover China, their price is still $199.

Here we go again ….just got an email from APM, projected to be available pre-order for the middle of April a 6.5x32 MS ED Porro Binocular. Both in center focus and I.F. Format. It will be interesting to see if these really come to be available as they say or will we have to wait years and years with excuses why they could not bring these to market. I just looked on the cloudynights forum ? , to see if a discussion has started there yet. This is where I first read when the first version the 6x30 MS was announced to be available. It will be interesting to see if a Sky Rover version will be made available to be purchased in the future.

Apparently the 6.5x32 product offered by APM is a rebadged version of a 6.5x32 porro that had been sold under the name Moon-Star. It sounds pretty decent if the CN reviews are anything to go by - per published specs it has a combo of long eye relief and a good field of view. I'd certainly like to have a look through the 8x32 version.

Here we go again ….just got an email from APM, projected to be available pre-order for the middle of April a 6.5x32 MS ED Porro Binocular. Both in center focus and I.F. Format.
The IF is expected to arrive at the end of February. The CF in April.
It will be interesting to see if these really come to be available as they say or will we have to wait years and years with excuses why they could not bring these to market.
Who is "they"? I'm pretty sure Markus is doing his best to get these binoculars as soon as possible. If they are identical to the 6.5x32 discussed on Cloudynights they're going to be quite something.

Hermann

Apparently the 6.5x32 product offered by APM is a rebadged version of a 6.5x32 porro that had been sold under the name Moon-Star. It sounds pretty decent if the CN reviews are anything to go by - per published specs it has a combo of long eye relief and a good field of view. I'd certainly like to have a look through the 8x32 version.
I ordered the 6.5x32 IF, just for fun. I'll post my impressions once I get it.

Hermann

Users who are viewing this thread

Back